Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, fellow geeks!

I'm looking for good card games that play similarly to collectible card games (like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh), but aren't, well, collectible. Or maybe a board game that has the same feel.

I'm waiting to receive Omen: A Reign of War from the Kickstarter project, which I'm sure will satisfy this quite well and also have GOSU which is quite fun as well. Just looking for other games like this.

Summoner Wars: Master Set and BattleCON: War of Indines are high on my list although they have quite a different feel from that type of game from what I understand.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to find Blue Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
Battlefields of Olympus (a little different than CCG mechanics, but a fun 2p battle game)

EDIT:
Just to add a couple more "battle" card games you should look at (but they're different than CCGs), there's:
Battle Line
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans
The Battle for Hill 218
Lord of the Rings: The Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the non co-op LCG's from Fantasy Flight should work well. My personal favorite is Call of Cthulhu. CoC and Warhammer: Invasion are dedicated 2p games, although there's a good multiplayer variant for CoC. A Game of Thrones has both but most people seem to feel it's better in multiplayer than 2p. Blue Moon is good (and 2p only) but has a lot less (ie - almost none at all) deck construction so you'll have to decide if that's important to you.

Summoner Wars has almost no customization too, but lots of factions. It's a good game but doesn't resemble a TCG in any way, it's more like a very basic minis game. I really wish someone would make a similar game but with more depth, complexity, etc... I like it but I feel like I'm playing the kids version of the game I'd really rather be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Rune Age
+1 Blue Moon (if you can find it...it's OOP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am in the midst of developing such a game right now. It is a spaceship conflict game, with each player creating a small fleet of starships to fight for control of space stations. Each ship has a damage value, a certain amount of hitpoints, and one or more special abilities. Some ships also have greater speed or stealth capability, determining how they can be used to attack or block.

Each player has an identical deck of 20 cards. The deck is always face-up for others to see, but there is a hidden deployment of ships so that you can keep opponents guessing about whether a card you drew is in your hand or in play.

Would you be interested in trying a print-and-play early playtest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll go wrong with any game I see listed so far, but I will say you should give Summoner Wars a chance. It's more tactical than Magic, but scratches the same itch for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is minis without the minis and quite excellent. Blue Moon is the CCG/LCG side of things without any deckbuilding and minimal need to buy packs. It's a shame the latter is OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played it but what do you think of Nightfall??

And +1 for Summoner Wars: Master Set!!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb seems a little like what you are looking for. And the theme of "animals fighting a secret war the humans don't know about" is both adorable and awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Gareau
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Warhammer Invasion!

+1 Summoner Wars: Master Set!

+1 Nightfall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Think I'm going to look into getting a hold of this, since it does sound like what I'm looking for.

foxfan wrote:

This sounds really interesting, but to be honest the amount of expansions intimidates me. I'm still looking into it.

lordrahvin wrote:

Yes, that caught my attention! It sounds fun and the factions are pretty funny/cool.

And thanks everyone for the other suggestions, I'll be checking those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Absolutely! Does it play with 2? Unfortunately I would mostly be able to play and give feedback on 2p games. But I would definitely be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Paul, I can't figure out how to play BLUE MOON. I've tried. Is it me, or are the rules leaving something important out? Something's missing. Do you know of any video tutorials out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemloch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldTallandUgly wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Absolutely! Does it play with 2? Unfortunately I would mostly be able to play and give feedback on 2p games. But I would definitely be interested.

Actually, it only plays with 2p right now!
I'll geekmail you the link to download the files. If anyone else is interested too, just geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I'll throw a wild Iliad into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend:

Summoner Wars
Puzzle Strike
Yomi
BattleCON
Gosu (though this one has less of a direct "battle" feel than the others)

None of these necessarily "feel" like Magic, depending on what it is you like about Magic. But they all are great, replayable and confrontational 2 player head to head battle type games, so they share that in common with CCGs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Yomi. You can try it at http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

Read the rules though and go slow. Practice versus the computer and pretend you are having to score it yourself (in other words know why the computer takes off each # of points.)

The City versus Forest thing caught my eye. I'm interested. Now that is a great theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldTallandUgly wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Think I'm going to look into getting a hold of this, since it does sound like what I'm looking for.

In case you can't get a hold of Blue Moon, you might want to look into TrekWar. It's essentially a PnP Star Trek retheme based on the Dominion War...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.