Subject: Destroying your own units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Last game session we faced a situation we are not sure about, so we need your help
A unit (Wraith for example) has to retreat/withdraw, and there's a friendly area on the same planet, but the unit limit is reached in that area. May the owner of that units destoy one of them to make possible for the Wraith to retreat/withdraw into that area? Rules say that you may destroy your own units at any time of your turn except battle. Do the withdraw/retreat follow this restriction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may delete (I believe that's the term) your own units to make room for new ones. So in your situation, I am pretty sure it is legal to destroy your own units to make room for a better replacement.
Of course, the rules are not in front of me though. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would answer 'no', since retreats are part of battle.

SCBG rulebook, page 22 wrote:
the active player can voluntarily destroy his own units (to make room for new units) at any time, except during a battle

and step 9. of battle is 'Resolve retreats'.

SCBG rulebook, page 29 wrote:
A battle is resolved by taking the following steps:
(...)
9. Resolve retreats

You have to calculate the risk of losing your best units :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what answer is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree with Joshua Love.

Because there are two distinct steps:

First resolve retreat (wich PMD stated correctly saying this is a step of the battle).
And second, check unit limit, wich occurs at the end of Mobilization order and not at the end of step 9 of the battle.

I read a relatated question somewhere here or in a FAQ.

So, IMO, the correct is the Joshua answer
(Edit: Not anymore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Clinton
Bolivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMD is definitely right, and his quotes from the rulebook should have been enough. Just to add to it, page 33 of the rulebook gives the example of losing a unit because it has nowhere to retreat to and then says:

"After retreats have been resolved, the battle is over. Remove the active player’s order token from the area of the battle, and continue with the Execution Phase."

So yes, retreats are classed as part of the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, sorry. Now I vote for PMD and Chase answer. Page 33 nailed the question.

kalem wrote:
PMD is definitely right, and his quotes from the rulebook should have been enough. Just to add to it, page 33 of the rulebook gives the example of losing a unit because it has nowhere to retreat to and then says:

"After retreats have been resolved, the battle is over. Remove the active player’s order token from the area of the battle, and continue with the Execution Phase."

So yes, retreats are classed as part of the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.