Subject: Minis to darn big. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Diamond
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hey, I've played this a couple of times now, but the only thing about the whole game that bugs me is the damn minis are so big its hard to put them next to each other and still keep their facing proper.

And once you've done that, moving them when they get caught on each other can be a pain.Them getting knocked over etc...

Has anyone tried maybe putting more stable bases on the gene stealers to help with this? They are the ones I have problems with, they like to tip over very easily because of the narrow bases and the fact that they seem to be a little top heavy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you have any of the 2nd Ed figs, those work perfectly fine.

Though I still love the 3rd Ed minis and have never had a problem with them

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Diamond
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm more considering putting better bases on the genestealers minis.

I LIKE the design, but folks cant really deny that when you get hallway of genestealers stacked on each other its difficult to place them next to each other.

A lot of the time it has to do with one figures arm reaching forward past his square, and the other models leg sticking out into the previous square. Also, I dont think we can deny that a lot of the models are kinda top heavy.

go to move one, he clips the one behind him because of the overlap, and you knock over half the models in that hallway.

Notice in the promo picture they don't have any placed directly next to each other?

I checked pictures but didnt see anyone else using bases on their models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that some of them don't balance well and are a bit top-heavy. Rebasing isn't a bad idea, especially if you add some nice base-flavor. But I had similar issues with stacked hallways in the previous games, their long arms getting tangled with the long fingers of their neighbors, so I guess I've gotten used to angling stealers just right so it happens less.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T E
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddzball wrote:
Has anyone tried maybe putting more stable bases on the gene stealers to help with this? They are the ones I have problems with, they like to tip over very easily because of the narrow bases and the fact that they seem to be a little top heavy...

Yes, I based both terminators and genestealers on round 50mm bases. I'd recommend 40mm bases if you have any. If my memory serves me well, that's the size of the squares on the tiles. With round 50mm bases the figures do stand very steady. But especially in the beginning of a mission, it proves difficult to stack up the terminators. I can't place them in a straight line, I have to place them on a zig-zagging line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Right now you are wiser than you've ever been... and younger than you'll ever be!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about rebasing... but the right base size is 30mm and it just looks horribly out of proportion. I like the rec of using AT-43 minis... I use my Heroscape figures and have enjoyed the game immmensely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't stand the minis that came with the game, so I sold them all on eBay and got some 2nd edition Genestealers and some old Rogue Trader metal terminators. The terminators fit so much better. The Genestealers are still kinda big, but they are the same pose so at least the fit next to each other okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also sold the miniatures - because they weren't designed from the standpoint of functionality.

Having said that, there are always people selling cheap Assault on Black Reach Terminators with generic poses (or standard Space Marines). I'm planning to mount my generic Terminators on custom 27mm square bases. Even if I buy assault cannons/flamers separately on ebay it's much cheaper than buying a couple boxes of Terminators.

As for the aliens, has anyone seen some other good, cheap alternatives?

I've seen some people using gaunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You guys all make me sad...

Personally it hasn't been much of an issue in our games. Genestealers get free turns anyway so we usually twist them, pile them and stack them around each other and it looks AWESOME. Like an actual hallway full of genestealers would. The minis in the game were designed more for the look than the function of the game, that's true. But it has litterally cost us zero play time because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Terminators and Genestealers. Just not the ones that came in the Space Hulk box (I do like the commander's cloak and Goriel's eye however). The good thing about the Assault from Black Reach Terminators is that they're so cheap that it doesn't matter if I paint them arrrh

I am considering buying some generic genestealers. And will take a look at some of the bits resellers.

We didn't have much of a problem with miniatures getting caught on each other or people trying to work out which way some swab was facing. It's just personal taste.

ldsdbomber wrote:
you can rebase actual alien minis from the horrorclix line, or the AT-43 therians, especially the larger units are pretty nice looking aliens

Thanks for the info - I will also consider these options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney

Sanford
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the sculpts on all the SH3e models, but I agree they're not very well-suited to frequent play. They have a lot of very fragile bits sticking out here and there, variable shaped bases and such a wide variety of poses that many are top-heavy or at the very least get in each other's way during play on the game board. These same features, though, make them look gorgeous in a display diorama or on a clean table if you only use them occasionally.

If you are really enthusiastic about playing the game heavily, you'll probably want to homebrew your own set. I've seen full sets of all the cardboard in the game for $50-60 US recently, or you can explore many options for print and play, from the cheapest and easiest (print on paper or cardstock and cut out) to the most extravagant (custom design a full set of pieces and use this technique to produce them). I wouldn't recommend stealing GW's artwork for this purpose, and I especially wouldn't recommend posting scans of the original game art for other people, for obvious reasons. It shouldn't be too hard to make blank square maps in the correct shapes, and there are custom tilesets more freely available for this purpose floating around the net already.

For the models, again, your options range anywhere on the fast, cheap and easy to ridiculously opulent scale. Anything can be a game token, as long as you can tell them apart (for purposes of knowing who's armed with what). You can use pennies or (probably better) print little tokens showing unit type and weapon loadouts (either textually or graphically) for this purpose. For you roll-your-own-collector's-edition coveting modelers out there, Games Workshop has Terminator and Genestealer kits that fit on standard 25mm bases which you can customize to your heart's content. The standard 40k models on standard bases are much more conducive to play on the tight Space Hulk boards without falling over as much or (for the terminators at least) overlapping into each other's squares and bumping each others' facing all off. If you go the extra mile and weight the bases with lead foil or something, and flock the bottoms with felt like the bottoms of good chess pieces, they will slide around the board exceptionally well, while falling over even less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.