Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd share a cool gaming experience from yesterday. We were headed over to my parents' house for Easter dinner. Shortly before we left, my mom called over to suggest we bring a game or two we could play together. No problem, I said.

I let my two young girls (ages 8 and 5) choose the games -- they picked Aquaretto and Hey, That's My Fish!. After a very nice Easter dinner, we settled in for a game. Aquaretto was on tap first. Neither of my parents had played it before, but it's one of my girls' favorites (and we think it's better than the original Zooloretto-- but that's a story for another forum). I played neutral "coach" as we had 6 players, and the game takes 5. After some basic rules explanations for my parents, the game got under way. The ages of the players were 5, 8, 39, 77, and 83. My wife took the win, with a massive collection of sea turtles, my dad took 2nd, my 8 year old took a close 3rd, my mom came in 4th, and my 5 year old took 5th (she's not the most strategic player, but she does have fun, and she has pulled off wins in the past).

Next up were several rounds of Hey, That's My Fish!. We played in different combos of players, and it turned out that my 83 year-old dad is a natural! He pretty much dominated when he played.

My dad will sit down to a game if asked, but I wouldn't call him a "gamer" by any stretch of the imagination. But he commented that he was really impressed at the design of these games, which were simple enough for kids to play, but really showed some smarts in the design to made you think hard when playing in order to do well. (He was especially complimentary of Aquaretto on those points.) My kids took over Carcassonne on a recent visit, and we had a similar good time playing, young and old alike.

One of my favorite things about this hobby is its ability to literally bring young and old (or pick your other disparate group) together in a meaningful, engaging way. I'm sure my girls will have great memories of playing games with their grandma and grandpa, and I think the time spent by our family engaged in quality boardgaming is time very well spent indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed, ser! Thumbs up.

Our new all-age-group favorite is FLASHPOINT FIRE RESCUE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Flash Point: Fire Rescue yet, but it's definitely on our short list. We have both Forbidden Island (aka "The Sinking Island Game" per my 5 year old) and Castle Panic, which also have been popular games for the whole family. Co-ops are definitely great for a group with mixed ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.