Battleship Galaxies» Forums » General

Subject: 2x boxes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to buy two games and just relabel the ship names (or even paint them) to have larger battles? Or will that not really work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a while since Ive played.
But I cant see why not?

Its suppose to be unique, one off ships.
But hell, its your living room, play as you will.

Ive thought of going this route. But gaming funds are tied up in other avenues.

Going this route I can imagine why you couldnt have larger battles.
Or even 3+ player battles.

The one stipulation I would put is that on any given side, all original ships must be taken before any of the seconds can be added.

I say this because certain groupings are brutal.
I cant remember the names, but the cruiser with the special ability to not be attacked from further away than 2 spaces paired with the fighter wing that cant be attacked if near a med-large ship.
2 groups of those would be more powerful than their points suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Whitmore
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
You can make any house rules you want, but i would just wait for an expansion. there have been no announcements, but their site http://www.wizards.com/Company/Brands/BattleshipGalaxies.asp... seems ready for this to get big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no evidence whatsoever that any expansions are on the horizon. There were supposed to be, for sure, but the silence from Hasbro on this game is deafening. I can only surmise that sales of the initial game were not up to the levels deemed necessary to green light the first expansion. I blame Hasbro's lousy marketing of the base game for this apparent failure. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear from someone with inside knowledge.

The release of the new Battleship movie (which was supposed to have at least a weak tie-in to the game) might have provided a good opportunity to launch the expansion. However, the demise of the relationship between Hasbro and Universal, and the so far fairly weak marketing for the movie, and the continued silence from Hasbro, would seem to indicate that nothing is happening related to an expansion being released to ride the coat tails of the movie release.

*sigh*

As for 2x boxes of the base game, I'm thinking that way myself. I love this game but would like bigger fleet actions. More pieces also allows for more variation in fleet composition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering this as well. I would personally institute a rule that there can only be one of each 'level' of ship. So it's not all Veteran fleets out there.

You could probably even spray paint (for speed) all the bases to denote the 2nd grouping of ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone interested Im putting together an expansion, a campaign and possibly a new race.

Right now you will need:
2nd copy of the game
Shrinky dinks ink jet papers (for counters, fleet markers etc)
Card sleeves to fit the game
Label paper that you can print out new cards on

Thats the preliminary for now.
Ill come up with more details of whats needed as I complete it.

So far I have:
Story line set some 40 years past the comic included in the game. (basic)

New ship ideas for all except the squad fighters. Figured fighters are common enough. Each new ship will be unique from, but based on the same ship model. I need to finish plotting the stats of each.
You will need to re-paint the new ships. And then print out the new ship cards on label paper and stick them to the ship cards from the second set.

Personally, im planning to re-paint them all. Still having a blue marker for humans, and green for the new ships. Red and orange for the wretch.
This will very easily allow up to 4 players, and even wretch vs wretch and human vs human. Which are also detailed within the story.

Advanced rule set to include: torpedoes (placed on map as movable units), space stations, ground based anti-ship weapons, firing arcs, movement orders, and new critical hits. Engine, Primary weapons, Shield generator, and of course instant kill.

New weapons, events, upgrades, and heroes for each side. To use this you will need to print out the new graphics on label paper and stick them to the cards from the second game, as well as some from the first. Placing the cards in sleeves will eliminate any tell of difference.
Wretch:
5 new weapons spanning 11 cards
5 new upgrades spanning 10 cards
3 new heroes spanning 6 cards
Ground based weapons: Def plasma cannons, Plasma Torpedoes, and a massive Plasma Cannon (currently named Solar Flare)
Human:
4 new weapons spanning 10 cards
6 new upgrades spanning 11 cards
3 new events spanning 6 cards
3 new heroes spanning 6 cards
Ground based weapons: Def lasers, HE torpedoes w/ nuke upgrade, massive Gauss cannon (currently named Megalith)

Campaign system using one of the map boards from the 2nd set to show the galaxy. Will have rules to explore and find, different planets, wormholes, black holes, etc. As well as build up planets and launch new ships. Rules for fleets and movements. Combat on this map will transfer to the battle map (normal game) in which the attacker will chose the scenario for the attack, but set up before the defender. Balancing everything out.

Possible new race once all this is completed.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, reading of this, I wanted to post this out there. This will definitely make use of 2 box sets. So it might be worth doing. Ill be posting this in a new thread later this week once I finish the new cards and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.