Hide
7 Posts

Dungeon in a Tin» Forums » General

Subject: More, more, moreeee (item, field effect, monster,ect.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FK DC
msg tools
It would be great if there's could be different item(weapon, armor, object), field effect(gas room, wall crushing, spike fall from the roof, boulder running from different room), monster( dragon, troll, wolf, bear ,ect),different objective(save the maid, beat and incredible boss, get a powerfull artifact, uncover a secret mistery, ect), have classes(warrior, cleric, explorer,alquemist), have different tech(Rage/Warrior, Two Arrows shooting/explorer, Healt Recovery/Cleric, chemical bombs/ alquemist, ect),ect.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And an official diceless variant! ...not that I didn't ask for that earlier already..hehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
And an official diceless variant! ...not that I didn't ask for that earlier already..hehe...

A diceless variant is tricky - the combat system relies on the dice to select the monster's attack, and without a specific attack being chosen for each monster, the various options for the player lose their meaning.

I guess it may work to have the player draw a card for the monster's attack, and the player wins if he can produce a card which beats that attack (gets a +ve modifier versus it), draws if he can only play the same attack, or loses if he can only play with a -ve modifier. But then, what's the difference between regular and horned monsters, what effect does carrying the maiden have, and so on? The combat system of DiaT is the game, for all intents and purposes - change it too much and you're not really playing the same game at all. I'm open to ideas, but it's not something I see an obvious answer to.

Not to mention that some people say 'diceless' and mean 'luckless', meaning that drawing cards would be out, too...!

As to other expansions and extras... well, feel free to design some of your own! I do have a handful of ideas for other things that could be done within the DiaT game framework, but I simply haven't had any time to work on them at all lately!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DM JT
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The combat system of DiaT is the game, for all intents and purposes - change it too much and you're not really playing the same game at all.

A big part of the charm of this game is way the dungeon tiles layout so nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
trylch wrote:
Quote:
The combat system of DiaT is the game, for all intents and purposes - change it too much and you're not really playing the same game at all.

A big part of the charm of this game is way the dungeon tiles layout so nicely.

Speaking of which? We played tonight, got all the way to the Maiden tile, and could not legally place the tile based on the left-right tile-placement rules. So, we had to place the room illegally. ruling on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I'm not subscribed to my own game, so I missed this until now - sorry!

CalebSkye wrote:

Speaking of which? We played tonight, got all the way to the Maiden tile, and could not legally place the tile based on the left-right tile-placement rules. So, we had to place the room illegally. ruling on that?

Essentially, the placement rules were only there in the first place to [attempt to!] circumvent smartarse players deliberately constructing dungeons which couldn't go anywhere. Gameplay-wise, all that matters is "this tile branches into two separate paths" or "this tile doesn't provide any more path until the key is used". So if you think you can avoid blocking any tiles off, by all means completely ignore the placement rules and just rotate the dungeon tiles however you like.

Ideally the placement rules should just be something like "you must place the tile such that none of its exits lead to another existing tile other than the one you just came from, it doesn't block off any other tiles' exits, and it doesn't put you in a situation where you will be required to break these rules to place a future tile. But that last one is surprisingly hard to codify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, he won't read it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.