Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zed Z
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all these variants, you may want to use 2 decks of train cards, especially if you have card horders playing with you.

Six players: There are two options for this. Either play the same as the seven player version below with only one extra color from Marklin version but all 45 trains, plus stations/passengers from Europe/Marklin or play the team asia rules on this board with the nine extra trains from Asia version.

Seven players: This is the most crowded version of the game I ever played. It gets pretty nasty. This is what you need. Add the purple and white trains from Marklin version, the purple and white passengers, and all the stations from Europe version. Stations/passengers are used just like the stations in the Europe version. Each person gets only 40 trains, and three stations (or passengers, which they use like stations). Now just play the regular US rules or 1910 rules, but use the Europe rule for placing stations.

Eight players: Play team asia rules, but have four teams instead of three. Use the nine extra trains from Asia version as well.

Nine players: Play team asia rules with three teams of 3, with the following rule changes. Deal each player 3 destination tickets and they must keep at least 1, which they put in the shared holder. If they keep more, they keep the extras hidden. Each player only gets 18 trains, so 54 per team like team asia (but you may be able to push it up to 24 each, 72 per team, if you borrow trains from Europe). Haven't tried this variant yet, let me know how it goes if you do, and which quantity of trains works best.

Ten players: Same as eight players, but with five teams. This one will probably get really crowded too. You may want to add one station for each team member as well. Haven't played this either, so give feedback if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
On New Year's Eve, we will be six players, mostly non-gamers (who still want to play a game that is "fun"). I always find TtR a huge hit with non-gamers. So I was looking around for the Asian pack to accommodate that, but it's not in store where I live.

So, I have US (the original), Europe and Nordic countries. Easily enough trains and cards.

But which map? And which rules? I'd prefer as easy rules as possible.

Maybe combine the US and either the Nordic or European map. Use single tracks only. (Only one player can build between the same two cities.) Players start with one ticket from each map. US rules to keep it simple (no special rules for tunnels or ships). Some arbitrary Atlantic connections, such as New York-London for like 10 cards?

Or just cram six players onto the US map and hope for the best.

Or just give up and play Dixit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
On New Year's Eve, we will be six players, mostly non-gamers (who still want to play a game that is "fun"). I always find TtR a huge hit with non-gamers. So I was looking around for the Asian pack to accommodate that, but it's not in store where I live.

So, I have US (the original), Europe and Nordic countries. Easily enough trains and cards.

But which map? And which rules? I'd prefer as easy rules as possible.

Maybe combine the US and either the Nordic or European map. Use single tracks only. (Only one player can build between the same two cities.) Players start with one ticket from each map. US rules to keep it simple (no special rules for tunnels or ships). Some arbitrary Atlantic connections, such as New York-London for like 10 cards?

Or just cram six players onto the US map and hope for the best.

Or just give up and play Dixit?

Cram them on the US map - it'll certainly be fun. Only allow routes to be played that are on tickets, i.e. no blocking. Use 2 decks of train cards. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
Woodland Hills
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this once with 6 players.

I recommend the USA map because it has fewer rules. We used the 1910 destination tickets and drawing ticket rules (drawing 5 instead of 3) so players have more realistic options to choose finish.

We cut down the number of trains to 37 each (instead of 45) so map gets less crowded.

We didn't try this because it was deemed too confusing for the new players, but I'd love to try this with making the grey 1-length and 2-length routes double routes (like Atlanta-Nashville and Houston-New Orleans).

Let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Good idea! Maybe, to keep it simple and fun, keep all the carriages and make all the gray ones double?

For new players to have fun, I think it's better with too much room than too tight.

In any case, it turns out that one of the guests has decided to celebrate in Spain, so we'll be five. I wonder if I should bring another game in case the non-gamers are ready to "level up"? Last year we leveled up from TtR to Nations and that was a bit steep for the masses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.