Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Super Dungeon Explore a few times now and have a handle on the rules (still a few page flips during a session, but they are getting less and less).

I was wondering how you guys handle some of the gameplay elements during a session.

For example, in the last game with my daughter, I had a gazillion minions on the board. Is there an easy way to track which ones you've activated? Putting tokens on them can be quite unmanageable when they are in a clump, and changing their facing sometimes feels a little theme-breaking.

What about buffs and spell effects?

When you have damage on one of your kobold mages, but not on another, do you put the hearts right on the board, so you can remember which one has the damage?

I can't think of any clever solutions, but I wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

One quite rules question, while we're at it. If a special attack shows a red button with a 1 on it, and the result is "Fire", it still does it's regular wound as well as give Fire if I roll more stars than my opponents, right? In other words, Fire does not replace the regular damage, it just now happens as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney, can't wait to see this on WatchItPlayed

I'll take a stab at your questions:

-Monster Activation Tracking? I still haven't figured out the best way... When I've played as Consul, I've usually activated clumps of minions at a time. So it's slightly easier to remember which of the few 'groups' of minions I've activated rather than individual minis. Not always the best move tactics-wise, and I'm still looking for a better solution.

-For AoEs/Auras/Spells, I broke down and picked up a couple of "Zone Effects" sets from Armorcast, which work very nicely. Here's a picture for ya:

Since I know you prefer to show games on your channel how they play right out of the box, without spending on extra components, the super easy & cheap method would be to take a small piece of paper, fold it on itself a couple of times so you've got a stiff 'lil rectangle. Then bend that into an "L" shape, which will rest nicely on your board and achieve the same effect! (Use colored paper if ya want to get fancy )

-For tracking damage on Wyrmlings/Hatchlings/Dragon Priests, I've put the wound tokens on their cards, but in spots relative to their position on the board. For example, if I've got one priest in the upper right corner of the board, and another near the center, I'll put the heart tokens on the upper right corner of the card, and on the center of the card, respectively. Not the most elegant solution, but it's worked for me. Once again, I'm also eager to hear other peoples ideas.

-And finally, I'm pretty confident on this rules clarification:
All Special Attacks (red AP icon) cause damage if they land. This is in addition to any condition listed on the attack. Special Actions (blue AP icon) only causes whatever the ability states it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably don't have to tell you, those zone effects look amazing. Going to look into snagging a few of those. You're right, I prefer to work out of what comes from the box, but I think I would consider making an exception in this case, just because I have the added burden of tracking effects over multiple days, not just minutes (and I have trouble enough with when it's minutes, lol).

Did you find you had some gunky residue - almost a dust form the box, that stuck to the outside of your models after assembly? I have some that I need to clean off - just wondering if you had a similar issue and found a solution, as your models look pretty unaffected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, good point... tracking these types of things across multiple days of filming would definitely be tricky. If I think of anything, I'll let you know! Unfortunately, it looks like Armorcast doesn't have all the various colors they used to (except Snow Drift - which I'm using for smoke effects). Though they've at least still got a handfull of unpainted effects, which would be easy enough to throw on a quick coat of paint if you were so inclined.

As far as gunky residue is concerned, I definitely noticed that when supergluing all the pieces together, if some got on my fingers then rubbed off on the model, it dried in a hazy white, which may or may not be what you're describing. I tried my best to keep them clean when gluing, and I made out okay on most of the minis, but some of 'em definitely have some haze/dusty effects happening. If you look at Tom Vasel's video review, it seems like he ran into similar problems when assembling his minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
As far as gunky residue is concerned, I definitely noticed that when supergluing all the pieces together, if some got on my fingers then rubbed off on the model, it dried in a hazy white, which may or may not be what you're describing. I tried my best to keep them clean when gluing, and I made out okay on most of the minis, but some of 'em definitely have some haze/dusty effects happening. If you look at Tom Vasel's video review, it seems like he ran into similar problems when assembling his minis.

Yes, lol, I remember seeing that on Tom's and thinking he must have been much more liberal with the glue than he was with his patience

I think you're right, it's the residue from the glue rubbing onto the figures. I wonder if there is an easy way to remove that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't found a good approach other than rotating minions to mark their activation. Perhaps you could paint a small line/triangle on one point on the base of each and keep unactivated models facing a side of a square by the little mark, then rotate the mark to a corner after activating. That would still let you keep the overall facing you want.

For wounds on multi-wound monsters, we have alway put them on the board near the monster, except for Starfire.

For buffs, we just place one of the blue/gold tokens next to the Ironshield/Kobold Mage. So far we've never used the kobold's stealth powe - I suppose you could use a skull for one of them.

We usually use spare skulls to mark smoke clouds, and put one in each corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I rotate the minis 180 degrees once I've activated them. I find this works perfectly.

For keeping track of damage and status effects I put the token on the card. Most minions only have one health so you'll rarely need to keep track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Arbogast
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney,

Great show, I love watching it.

We tend to turn minions so they face a specific board edge when they have activated, and then at the end of the turn, we turn them to face another board edge to show that they are free.

Again, love watching the series.

Keep up the good work.....on the Andrea show

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alienated One wrote:
Rodney,

Great show, I love watching it.

We tend to turn minions so they face a specific board edge when they have activated, and then at the end of the turn, we turn them to face another board edge to show that they are free.

Again, love watching the series.

Keep up the good work.....on the Andrea show

Hey! And thing were going so well until that last sentence

We started using that "turn the model" idea and it does the trick pretty good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to start a new thread and I feel this is related.

How do you speed up the game?

I am finding that my games are dragging and there is a lot of down time for the hero players.

They move one guy and I move up to 4 skulls. As the turn goes on the guy that moved first that turn feels like he is out of the game.

Maybe this game is better as a two player game and that is my problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosley wrote:

I am finding that my games are dragging and there is a lot of down time for the hero players.

They move one guy and I move up to 4 skulls. As the turn goes on the guy that moved first that turn feels like he is out of the game.

We haven't found that we've had to speed up the game, but we've mainly played it with 3 players total, so that could be it. Certainly as a two player game, each player is getting a lot of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosley wrote:

I think SDE suffers from the same problem as most 1 vs group games - the Consul has too much to do and the heroes have too little. Works better playing with players controlling multiple characters each.

It also does have some very draggy spots. We started using a no-elimination accelerated pace variant to speed things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the hero players tend to make decisions as a team regarding all their characters, so everyone is involved at all times. Aside from anything else, they tend to swap around which hero activates first in subsequent rounds to best achieve their aims. There is lots of chat amongst the team throughout both the evil and hero turn so it never drags. I've played with 3,4,5 and 6 players. Admittedly the game does take a long time with 5 or 6. But I've not worried about down-time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.