oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
They say that necessity is the mother of all invention - which is an accurate statement, I just never knew how much I needed until I got married. After the two seconds it took to realize the genius behind the dice mechanic of RoboDerby: Express, I was actively searching for Yahtzee Jr.'s everywhere (must have indented dice). I didn't want to wait to order them - which I hear you can do from here: http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=22... (tons of color choices too) - nor did I have access to all these thrift shops everyone else seems to find dice just waiting to be claimed for the change they find under the seat in their cars...

I digress - I bought the 'ole Spongebob (Yellow Dice) and Disney Princesses (White Dice); some sticker paper (Staples); and got to work. Things turned out well - see pic below - the components work great, or so I thought.

FIRST - My wife and gracious gaming partner very quickly got tired of me asking for cardboard to use as backing for the RoboDerby board tiles. See, I am more than a bit OCD when it comes to games, game storage, game websites, etc. I needed cardboard of a specific thickness and color (one side had to be plain white). The inserts in the two Yahtzee games I bought ($8 at Wal-Mart - I know, I overpaid and supported the enemy...) provided the PERFECT cardboard for the board tiles. Nothing else compared and well I was driving my wife crazy thinking about sources of the perfect material.

SECOND - The very first game, and every game since then, that we have played - she always moves to adjust a piece and the tiles move, shimmy, rotate - just a bit to be annoying - now missaligned she can't think about where she needs to go... readjust and get back to the planning... "Can't we just print it out on one piece of paper?" Hmmmm - Nooooo, that would defeat the purpose of a modular, always a different layout, game mechanic (an essential mechanic if I do say so...). So she didn't like the motion of the tiles, fair enough.

So - I set out to solve the issue. And low and behold, feel like I have come up with a great solution to BOTH the cardboard supply and the motion of the tiles issue: Mainstays 8"x10" Frontloading Frame (which you can view here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/8-x10-Picture-Frames-Set-of-6/1040.... You can also order it there - but for some reason they don't list a frame singly - just in a group. From what I remember the frame cost ~2 bucks or less... You just pop out the glass from the front, layout the tile arrangement you want to play, and reset the glass in the frame (snap-fit). Now, simply print every tile you every wanted to play (without any special backing) and you are good to go... I found myself printing out all sort of tiles, now that it didn't involve material sourcing, mounting, cutting, labor, etc. Check it out:

What does this get you? A "holder" that accepts and supports tiles printed on simple cardstock (OR even just paper if you so dare!). The right cardboard is avoided and the tile moving is eliminated. The frame edge is minimal and it will fit a 4x4 tile configuration and just barely fits (with some offset) tiles for the Capture the Flag variant. The end result is a stable gameplay surface and an interchangable main board support, as shown below. (Looks slick, doesn't it?)

Note that the "underlay" (paper under the tiles - now just a grid indicating how to align a 4x4 board) will eventually get designed to include turn order list and potentially icon definitions - likely a logo as well. I plan to post this in the file section once it's complete - FYI.

So - this addition comes highly recommended... as are any variants on this approach. Please let me know if you try it out and what you think.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats interesting. How big are those panels then? This reminds me a little of how some wargamers use those glass table covers to pin down and protect gaming maps. Just not on such a scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.