Subject: Question about discarding "older pets" in 2-3 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan McKenzie
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
On page 7 of the rulebook (bottom right paragraph) it states, "If the older-pet-buying action space is blocked by a neutral imp, he buys one of the aging pets. Take the leftmost pet that you moved from the lower half to the upper half and remove it from the game."

However, right above that it states, "Before moving pets from the lower half to the upper half, discard all pets in the upper half."

Am I missing something? If the pets in the upper half are discarded at the beginning of every round, why would it matter if an imp blocking the older-pet-buying space buys one of them? No-one can play there that round and they would be discarded next round anyway, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because if the neutral imp buys a pet no meat is added to the stall? I think that's the only reason it matters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
The neutral imp buys a pet that has just aged (moved to the upper part). Only the pets that start the round in the upper part are discarded.

OP is asking why we bother having the neutral imp buy a pet, since no one can buy an older pet that round anyway, and on the following round any remaining pets will be "sent to the farm."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that if a neutral imp buys a pet, it has been bought and is in use somewhere (although technically removed from the game).

If it is not bought, then anything in the top row goes to the farm (which means extra food in the offer on the following round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McKenzie
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
Ah, so the difference is the amount of meat going to market. I read this part wrong: "The strange rule about extra meat does not apply to it." I was thinking that meant the whole upper half when actually it only refers to the pet the imp buys, thus creating one less meat going to the market in the next round.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, for you, the only difference is the meat. But for the poor pet, it is much more significant whether it finds a new home at some neutral player, or whether it goes to "live happily ever after" to a farm .

While some soft-hearted players tended to buy pets just because they didn't want them to be sent to a farm, it seemed not proper to me to do 2 or 3 player game the way these situation cannot be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada wrote:
Well, for you, the only difference is the meat. But for the poor pet, it is much more significant whether it finds a new home at some neutral player, or whether it goes to "live happily ever after" to a farm .

While some soft-hearted players tended to buy pets just because they didn't want them to be sent to a farm, it seemed not proper to me to do 2 or 3 player game the way these situation cannot be avoided.

Thanks for the comment Vlaada!

Although once my Lifffard had some meat that came after Trollie was sent to "live happily ever after," I've had the hardest time feeding him anything else. I think he's developed a taste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappy once ate some meat after Baby Golem went to the happy farm. He didn't have a poop need for the rest of the game. All those nuts and bolts must have, er, clogged up his system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.