Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I am revisiting my plastic modelling love after various aircraft/helicopter models in my far history and given that I am also interested in WW2 stuff much more than I was before, I would like to start a personal collection of armored units from WW2 from all major forces - german/axis, british, american, soviet and possibly also japanese.

I chose 1/72 as the scale, as this is a compromise about the model size (even if details might be lost between this size and 1/48 or 1/35). I might later get some highlight models in a larger scale, but that is not yet the case

Which armor units would you recommend me to start the collection with?

For instance:
Axis - Pz.kpfw 38(t) (being a czecho-slovak native), Pz.kpfw 1 - 6, Hetzer, Marder, some other tank destroyers/mobile artillery...
UK - Matilda, Churchill, Crusader, Cromwell...
US - Stuart, Lee, M4A3, Firefly...
Soviet - T-34, KV-1, IS-2, SU-100, some of the ISU types...

I would spice the collection up later with other vehicle types, mainly trucks, jeeps, transporters etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
1/72?

The question is: what armor is not buyable in that scale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my nickname, a German Panzer VI E is essential. meeple

Russkies should be represented by a T-34, as Americans should ride a Sherman (an M4A1 with the 75 gun I'd say). A Matilda is a nice one for the British.

As for france, I always had a fable for these inferior B1-bis monsters, although an R35 or R40 would be also a fine choice.

Japanese ... hmmm ... maybe the first tank of Japanese design to be mass-produced - the Type 89A CHI-RO.

For Italians, I'd chose an M13/40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
1/72?

Heh
It's not the question of "what is buyable", but rather "what are the essential armored vehicles that any collection should not be without"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a Valentine!

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, for the US and the USSR I'd think that the essential models would be the M4 Sherman and the T34. I like the M4A1 with the 76mm gun but retaining the cast hull. For the T34, I like the T34c.

The Germans... I'd have to say the MkVI Tiger. Not the best or most numerous tank in the mix, but certainly the one with the most mystique.

For the Brits? The MkVIII Cromwell?

I confess to being fairly ignorant regarding Italian and Japanese AFV's. Maybe the M13/40 as a representative vehicle for the Italians and the Type97 Chi-ha for the army of Nippon.

My favorite AFV of WWII is not a tank - it's the Czech Hetzer. But in keeping with the turreted theme - perhaps the T35 because it was the vehicle that would have faced the Germans in a Czech - German conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
Joeyeti wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
1/72?

Heh
It's not the question of "what is buyable", but rather "what are the essential armored vehicles that any collection should not be without"?
So true

When I would revisit modeling, I would make a diorama of the German Tiger II (iconic tank) next to a Pz IV or even StuG III (work horses) to make a small overview of the sheer difference in size between the one getting the glory and the ones doing the actual fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool "Gotta 'clutch`em' A-L-L-!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you want to keep with the mainstream vehicles, I myself preferred the different AFVs, the Marder, Puma, STUG, Brummbar, Crocodile etc. It would be quite difficult to choose just one or two from each of the larger nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
1/72?

With the demise of ESCI, less than you think... on another note, I would suggest a chronological study --- go Pz I then Pz II, try to find a Pz III E or F, and a Pz IV C or D... expand from there.

-or cheat- collect 1:144 pre-painted, and just choose the larger ones that you want to paint up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
southern_cross_116 wrote:

-or cheat- collect 1:144 pre-painted, and just choose the larger ones that you want to paint up.

Some of the 1/144 scale models are very detailed and look superb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
southern_cross_116 wrote:

Some of the 1/144 scale models are very detailed and look superb

You're right about that - I wish there were more available (like a UK line... would love to have some early war UK models -- like the Matilda Mk II and ( think) Vickers Mk VI, etc.. for me unusual is better too many Tigers, Panthers, Shermans and T-34s ... not that they're not nice -but -well, they have saturated the market for decades now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.