Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on the AGoT section forum then I've outlined my troubles with AGoT in connection with my play group's bizarre play style.

For a brief overview then essentially my group like to build up their forces to wherever their agreed borders on the game are and then sit placidly in various alliances and watch the game just sit there for the remaining turns even if it becomes obvious another player might win. They make little move to generate a win of their own by making aggressive action because they fear a retaliation from another alliance; backstabbing within alliances is rare among most of the players.

The discussion in that thread has already given me a lot to think about when I consider how my game group like to play when it comes to making future game recommendations for them. This has led me to consider trying Rex.

Bearing in mind the problems I raised in the other thread, how does this game confront those issues?

In my mind then because Rex is more of an "us v them" team game (alliances WILL be made I can guarantee so I will term this a team game for this discussion) then my group will be more motivated to work towards advancing their team's chance of winning. Often in AGoT then some of the players would declare themselves victors because the person they were "allied" with (note there is no formal alliance system in AGoT compared to Rex) has won the game with their aid. Essentially King-making but because team victories are allowed in Rex and not in AGoT then this does away with the sour taste of other players who have fundamentally lost the game under AGoT's rules declaring they have won anyway.

Additionally, AGoT gives players all the resources they need to fund a modest army and you can simply turtle for most of the game, happily languishing on the territory you own. Rex forces players to keep their troops on the move to avoid bombings and by scattering influence to force some players who are influence drop-reliant to move round the board. Rex also offers less of a concept of "this is my country/area, I am going to institute something of a border policy" that has often brought stalemates to play in AGoT where players refuse to have a go at breaching someone's borders.

To conclude: does my reasoning counter some of the issues my group faces in AGoT? Are there other ways in which Rex will be a better experience? Are there some things that will actually be worse in Rex compared to AGoT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played REX or AGoT yet, but I've gathered quite a bit of information on both as I've been struggling to decide which one to buy, and based on what you wrote I'd say your reasoning is probably correct.
On the other hand, it seems that your group doesn't really want to play conflict-oriented games, and I don't think the passive attitude of your group can't be a problem with any conflict-oriented game, even when there are incentives to keep things going as in REX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is definitely a little different from AGoT. There are 2 aspects specifically worth considering.

They may like this game because of the concrete alliances. However, it may be that once the alliances are formed, your players may not want to break them.

This doesn't necessarily hurt the game, but it might be less ideal if you don't have an even number of players. A 3v2 alliance will probably see the 3 team win most of the games.

Also, the game favours aggression, or at least it is nearly impossible to 'turtle' (no offense to the Xxcha). This may give your players incentive to actually mix it up a little with combat. However, it may also just be a game that sees very little combat with your players if they refuse to play any other way.

In that sense, this may not be the game for your group.

So either they will love it because of the tangible benefits from official alliances, or despise it because they refuse to really attack anyone or break off their alliance.

If you can get 6 players together to play REX, then I will still recommend giving this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I own both AGoT and REX. I love AGoT for the agonizing decisions and the order mechanism.

I love REX for the shifting alliances and nifty battle resolutions.

It's going to come down to which theme you prefer and what your groups style is. Neither of these games can be won without some boldness or treachery once everyone understands them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotta agree that it sounds like your group just don't like direct conflict-oriented games (declaring yourself victor when you clearly lost? Really??), in which case just start looking at other types of games or find new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex can play in about 2 hours.

Rex is more about surgical strikes than all-out combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:

Also, the game favours aggression, or at least it is nearly impossible to 'turtle' (no offense to the Xxcha).

The Xxcha will strike you down for your insolence!!! **hides in shell**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let people know how it went then I played Rex with my group last night.

As a disclaimer then my group's recently added two new members that might change the way we play quite a bit and after we finished Rex then the "older" members of the group said they thought they'd like to try Game of Thrones with the new members to see how it would be different.

Rex went down a storm. People were keen to give it another go though we didn't have the time to then.

A triumph! All the problems we'd faced in AGoT just didn't surface, it might have been something to do with new player styles getting involved but the things that highlighted in my original post worked out entirely. Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.