Subject: Good For Visually Impaired? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Yuhasz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I Know Strange Question.

My Brother-in-law is a big Star Trek fan and Casual Gamer, but her is visually impaired. He likes boardgames, and we often play Settlers, Risk 2210 and Godstorm, Nexus Op and Robo Rally. What I guess all these have in common is that the cards either act only as counter, or if they have rule text, he can read them from his hand.

We're thinking of getting him a copy of this for his birthday, but don't know anyone who's currently playing it. The cards look well marked, with little rules text and we were wondering if he would be able to play. Do you need to be able to read the cards as they're in play on the game area? Is it appropriate in a casual setting to pick up and read the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ek
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We pick up the cards to read them all the time, or just ask someone what a card does if it's next to them. It's pretty much a must considering not everyone will face the cards properly and that the playing field can be a bit big once all the cards are out.

If he can read them in his hand, then I guess he would have no trouble with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lou -
My wife also has a visual impairment, so I can definitely sympathize. The answer is "it depends", based on his level of comfort with picking up cards to read them during the game. There is definitely a lot of text all over these, and with the mechanic having a constantly changing set of cards in the middle to buy from, it means constantly referencing what's available there.

Here's a list of games I can recommend based on my wife being comfortable with them:
Alhambra
Agricola
Mr. Jack
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride

And a couple of others I play that I think he could be okay with:
Blood Bowl: Team Manager (some reading, but mostly symbol-based)
King of Tokyo (some reading, but I don't think he would mind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the previous statements are very correct. However, after a couple of plays, especially if you keep playing just one version of the game, it becomes pretty straight forward which cards do what, and in spite of the large deck of space cards, the mission card deck is pretty small, and after a couple of plays you will know generally what to expect.

If he is a big star trek fan, he won't have any trouble remembering them either, because the game is very thematic and the cards usually have something relevant to their presence on the show, which makes remembering them much easier.

Cheers!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.