Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife isn't very interested in gaming. Maybe a smidgen, but it's negligible. Since we hike, watch movies, talk about everything under the sun, go on walks, listen to music, talk faith, etc. etc. together, I've never felt it necessary to push gaming on her. It's "not her thing," and that's cool. I have a sharp 12-year-old son as well as a small, very fun gaming group for gaming. She and I used to wear out decks of cards playing Rummy, Gin Rummy, Spades, 2-Man Spades, ERS, and those sorts of games, but it's just not her thing any more.

That said, a couple games have made her think twice about gaming.

Pandemic---a couple Friday nights ago, my son and I set up Pandemic on the kitchen table after the baby went to sleep. My wife took one look at the board and said something like, "That looks like Risk." After explaining that it's not even close, that the kid and I would be working together to eliminate a global pandemic, she was intrigued and wanted to give it try. About an hour later, the world succumbed to the power of diseases (read: we emptied our draw pile). We lost, but she said it was really fun and wants to try again soon.

Carcassonne---Our family visited some friends on Sunday night, a married couple. The guy suggested we play a game, and named some options. His wife said, "I'll play Carcassonne, but not any of the others," or something like that. Long story short, my wife liked Carcassonne a lot, I think even more than Pandemic. In fact, she may have even hinted that we need our own copy (!). She said she looks forward to playing it again.

Quite often on here, I see guys wanting suggestions for getting their wives or girlfriends interested in gaming. I guess I share these stories to point out a couple games that my non-gaming wife enjoyed and will play again. I'll also point out that I didn't force her to try, that it sort of happened organically. Perhaps there's a lesson there as well. She may never end up being a gamer, and that's fine. We do a whole heckuva lot together, almost everything. But if she wants to get in on saving the world or scoring some meeples, I'm game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, my wife also likes Pandemic, but I got bored with it after about 20 plays (and yes, I have on the Brink).

My wife (sadly) does not like Carcassone.

Recent hits for me with the wife have been:

Lords of Waterdeep
Acquire
and

Macao - which was my favorite new to me game of 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
For what its worth, my wife also likes Pandemic, but I got bored with it after about 20 plays (and yes, I have on the Brink).

Lords of Waterdeep
Acquire
and

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're wife is practically a gamer if she likes games like Waterdeep and the others you mentioned That's not a bad thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
casualgod wrote:

Lords of Waterdeep
Acquire
and

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're wife is practically a gamer if she likes games like Waterdeep and the others you mentioned That's not a bad thing!

I am wearing her down! Her favorite game is Dominion and we have most of the expansions. We have played Dominion A LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is willing to play anything - once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has also enjoyed Lords of Waterdeep, enough that she invited her brother and his fiance over with the intention of trying it out with four players, everyone enjoyed it. Pastiche has also been a big hit with her and everyone that we've introduced it to.

She enjoys Forbidden Island from time to time, but I think that is mainly because it is a game that we can involve our 7 year old in. I've suggested Pandemic but the theme isn't her cup of tea.

She actually did request the newest game we purchased, Last Will, so we'll see what happens with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
I've suggested Pandemic but the theme isn't her cup of tea.

I have a couple gamers who like pandemic but dont like the theme, so they pretend we are fighitng zombie plagues...whatever works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue for reluctant gamers who like the basic idea of Pandemic but not the theme. I like it better than Pandemic mainly because it doesn't rely on the card collection mechanic that both Pandemic and Forbidden Island have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
I recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue for reluctant gamers who like the basic idea of Pandemic but not the theme. I like it better than Pandemic mainly because it doesn't rely on the card collection mechanic that both Pandemic and Forbidden Island have.

That is one that is definately on our radar as well. We like Co-op games, but it needs to fit with our 7 year old as well, most of our friends that play with us would rather play a game with some conflict instead of strictly co-op games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Orangemoose wrote:
My wife is willing to play anything - once.

My wife is the opposite. She is willing to play just one thing, many times. I like playing new games though, but she hates learning new games. She always suggested Settlers until I had enough and sold it and so she can't suggest it any more. Then it was Puerto Rico, same story. Arghh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: My wife wants Carcassonne for her birthday . . .

muahahahahahahaha YES!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My non-gaming wife has liked:

Carnival - Her second favorite.
Finca
Lost Cities - HER FAVORITE!
Pecking Order
Takenoko

She tolerates:

Alien Frontiers
Pastiche
Rattus
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Ticket to Ride: Europe

She was NOT a fan of:

Carcassonne
Double Agent
Hive
Mr. Jack Pocket
Masons
Pandemic
Catan
Wasabi!
Space Maze
Undermining

On the list to try with her:

Hanabi
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel
King of Tokyo
Pick & Pack
Times Square
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like she's played more designer games than lots of folks on BGG. She doesn't qualify as a "non-gaming" wife lol.

shigadeyo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Looks like she's played more designer games than lots of folks on BGG. She doesn't qualify as a "non-gaming" wife lol.

shigadeyo wrote:

Well, I'd ask her to try a new game with me when I was trying to find games she likes. She'd prefer NOT to play any games, but luckily I was able to find some that she actually WANTS to play, mostly because she keeps beating me at them, especially Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
foxfan wrote:

shigadeyo wrote:

Well, I'd ask her to try a new game with me when I was trying to find games she likes. She'd prefer NOT to play any games, but luckily I was able to find some that she actually WANTS to play, mostly because she keeps beating me at them, especially Lost Cities.

Yeah, I'm going to add Lost Cities at some point, I'm just sure my wife would love that and Archaeology The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hollier
United States
Baldwin
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

I have a couple gamers who like pandemic but dont like the theme, so they pretend we are fighitng zombie plagues...whatever works!

So my wife isn't the only one who pretends that Pandemic is about smacking down zombies? It'd be cool to fully convert Pandemic to a zombie game but I don't think I have the patience (or skills) to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david taher
msg tools
lol.. mine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emutheelf wrote:
casualgod wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

So my wife isn't the only one who pretends that Pandemic is about smacking down zombies? It'd be cool to fully convert Pandemic to a zombie game but I don't think I have the patience (or skills) to do it.

No need for conversion, co-op zombie games are already available:
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LNOE is about as competitive as it comes. It even has killing in it. It's got a 'team' style play if there's a few of you but it's still competitive.

If you're after a big trashy co-op in the LNOE style what about ATOE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester Wales wrote:
LNOE is about as competitive as it comes. It even has killing in it. It's got a 'team' style play if there's a few of you but it's still competitive.

If you're after a big trashy co-op in the LNOE style what about ATOE?

Ah, yes, I think that's the one I had in mind! I mix up those two because I really haven't played them much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my own Operation: GamerWife I've found the following:

She really likes:
Dominion
Jaipur
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride

I can get her to play any of these games (assuming, of course, that she's in the mood for a game and not exhausted from taking care of the baby all day)

She is OK with:
Carcassonne
Agricola
The Kingdoms of Crusaders
The Resistance
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
Puerto Rico
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Arkham Horror

These are games she will participate in if family or friends want to play. But I wouldn't say that she seeks them out herself.

She loathes:
Brass: Lancashire
Lost Cities
Mr. Jack ("loathes" might be strong on this one, but she doesn't care for it at all)

Avoid at all costs. Playing these games will result in extreme non-fun.

The big one I'd like to try is: Merchants & Marauders. She really likes pirate stuff so I think this may be a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Operation: Gamer Wife"

I REALLY like that lol

I think my family would like 7 Wonders, but alas, limited funds! Oh, I mention that b/c your wife likes Dominion, which reminded me that I was thinking my wife would like 7 Wonders (as well as my twelve year old).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Wife got into gaming from Wargames. But she does like history so it was already sold on her. She finds Euros boring although she will play them if the family do. I approached it the same way as I did my friends of both genders, find out what interests them and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
I think my family would like 7 Wonders, but alas, limited funds! Oh, I mention that b/c your wife likes Dominion, which reminded me that I was thinking my wife would like 7 Wonders (as well as my twelve year old).

Yeah, 7 Wonders is good, and the Wife likes it OK. But, it's just not that good as a two player game. So she doesn't play it much or request it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a possessor of estrogen, I'll throw in my $.02.

I got my female family members hooked using Catan and Killer Bunnies. Easy to learn, fairly quick playing, and who doesn't love to kill off their opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.