Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew of Guelph
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a fair number of board games in the last year or so. A couple I've even bought (Evo)or put on my wish list (Dominant Species, waiting on the reprint) for non gaming geeky reasons. Bios: Megafauna s the first that caused me to seriously geek out (for non gaming reasons) when I opened it.

Two of my degrees are related to biology (in particular ecology and evolution) so any game with those themes will garner a second glance from me. I read the commentary on Megafauna and it being a evolutionary simulation game designed by a scientist that had mostly favourable comments got me to pick it up, even not knowing if I will ever find someone to play it with (most of the people I board game with will not be interested in the theme and/or length). I was just interested in the idea of the game. So when it arrived I opened it up and flipped through the contents. So much of it reminded me of science products from years ago I waited until my wife got home before punching any of the tokens. Naturally her being an art history academic she rolled her eyes at the colours and format but smiled and nodded understanding why I enjoyed it.

I hope to play the game someday and I look forward to that but I never expected to geek out that much just on opening the box. The game unplayed reminds me of science products and my academic schooling and for that reason alone I'm glad I picked it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
It plays well solitaire, so you could get it onto the table TONIGHT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in this too but it's hard to find out there.
You might like to check out Evolution: The Origin of Species which is really great for biology geeks and common geeks.
I did a review but you might need Google Translator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
the whole series (Bios: Genesis release essen 2012, Origins: How We Became Human), are all steeped in science and will probably be of interst, if you are interested in the solar system High Frontier is a thing of beauty
and if you can't find an opponent Bios: megafauna has a solo variant but because there is no hidden information you could just as aesily play the whole game as four species.

just read up on the rest of his repertoire and I'm sure you'll find more of interest there.

my reading of non-fiction and especially evolution has increased by a huge amount ever since I got Bios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew of Guelph
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look into the solitaire form of the game. I may get a couple people to play but will take more work on my part than most of my games.

I'll take a look at Evolution: The Origin of Species and your review. I will need to use Google Translator.

Aye I looked at Bios: Genesis and may pick it up later. Origins may be getting a Bios series rework so I was waiting for more information on that. If its not I'll likely be picking it up, if it is I'll likely wait for the new release.

There are some pieces of interesting evolution near future fiction out there such as Greg Bear's Darwin's Radio. I didn't enjoy the second book as much but it was alright. I find it far more enjoyable when the author has put some time and research into what they are writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this heart-warming moment... however, Bios Genesis has been bumped to 2013. My efforts this year are devoted to getting a 2012 release of High Frontier Interstellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't you amazed at all the bits in that tiny box? I couldn't believe it would all fit back in.

phileklund wrote:
Thanks for sharing this heart-warming moment... however, Bios Genesis has been bumped to 2013. My efforts this year are devoted to getting a 2012 release of High Frontier Interstellar.

Wonderful I adore High Frontier and Bios Megafauna so I can't wait for Interstellar. Please don't let Bios Insectika (spelling ?) slip too far, both my wife and I are eagerly awaiting that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the original: American Megafauna if you can find it as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to check out Primordial Soup. It's more "fun" than "simulation", sort of like Evo, but I thought it was a bit better than that title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roboros
Canada
Guelph
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I support booking a biology game night/day, Matthew. You bring the Magefauna main I'll bring the Primordial Soup appetizer!
And it's neat to hear this bonus enjoyment when opening a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.