Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who has tried this with 2 and with more, can anybody vouch for this as a good/great two-player game?

I know the main difference is there is no marketing bonuses in a 2-player game. My fear with 2 players in some worker placement games is spots are less competitive with fewer players, and with no marketing bonuses, this slightly de-emphasizes popularity track.

I will likely be playing this mostly with 2, at least for the time being. Any good/bad experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
For anyone who has tried this with 2 and with more, can anybody vouch for this as a good/great two-player game?

I know the main difference is there is no marketing bonuses in a 2-player game. My fear with 2 players in some worker placement games is spots are less competitive with fewer players, and with no marketing bonuses, this slightly de-emphasizes popularity track.

I will likely be playing this mostly with 2, at least for the time being. Any good/bad experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My original "This Game Is Being Published" moment happened on a 2-player game in December of 2009. Since then it has been improved greatly.

Of course, I am biased towards the game, otherwise I would not have brought it to market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've only played one 2-player game so far. It was also our first game of Ground Floor. Aside from the normal hiccups of learning a new game, I had a great deal of fun playing. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is the marketing aspect. It determines turn order, and in a >2-player game, provides some bonuses that make the struggle for player order challenging and fun. However, the bonuses are not used in a 2-player game, so it is strictly about turn order. I wouldn't say that turn order in a 2-player game isn't important, but I would have to play 2-player again to be sure it wasn't better to allocate the time markers elsewhere. In any case, the marketing function is only one aspect of many that make up this game, and I would say it works pretty well as a 2-player game, but 3-4 is better. Still trying to get a 6 player game together to see how well it works with the max players.

Of course, I am biased towards the game, as I've backed it on Kickstarter. (Thanks Dr. Mayhem! And David Short...I guess you did some stuff too. )

Edit: Having re-read the OP's questions, I'd also add that the worker placement aspect of this game is fine in 2-player. By increasing costs with later placement, resolving some things in reverse placement order, and the uncertain economic factors, there are plenty of choices to make. In short, I think it scales pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kohatsu
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
dyepbr wrote:

I have played Ground Floor a great deal now (I've logged about 15 plays), with over half of those plays being with my wife (her favorite games are Agricola and Pantheon, and she cares for theme about the same as the gameplay).

As with any game, especially one with static abilities or buildings available every game, you need a few plays for the game to settle in. When my wife and I first played this, I had already played it with David and Seth, and was already pretty keen on knowing which buildings are key to my development. My wife, however, didn't see it, and thought the lack of competition on where you can go had a negative effect.

However, the main driving force for the game to obtain VP is the construction company. In a two player game, there is only one of each building type. Now turn order is quite important, as is the decision of sniping your wifes' HR improvement verses getting top pick at the retail outlet. I notice myself thinking more about strategic moves playing against my wife than at a group game night.

Long story short, quite a fun game, and in my opinion, just as fun with two as it is with six. Wife liked it more as a two than a six, she likes the direct worker placement stuff when its aimed at blocking me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:

I thought it was pretty good with two players though I want to make some tweaks to the consulting track to make it more equitable in 2-player mode.

If you look at the Rules discussion, there's more info there as well.
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the game has been out a while, what is the consensus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, there are much better 2 player games out there. It doesn't work as well as it does with more players.

Ground floor really shines with 4+ players. The more, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.