Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, the idea that the Luke has a limited amount of Force doesn't sit right with me. Would it hurt the game to develop a natural recovery of the Force as the game progresses?

Here are a few examples:

- Luke starts with 10 Force (and cannot go beyond 10). Luke recovers 1 Force point each card draw (or each Rebel card that is drawn).

- Luke starts with a lower amount (such as 5, or even 0) and recovers a point for each card (or just Rebel card) drawn. Cannot go above 10.

- Let Luke recover 1 (or 2?) Force points each time a transport gets away.

The only (2) reason(s) I'm thinking about this is because I don't like how Luke can run out of the Force and suddenly be just like any other character. I also think it could help add to the tension the game builds in that the Empire wants to get things done quick. The Rebels want to prolong the game.

I'll admit, I don't know how this would change the balance, but it sounds more interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always pictured Luke's Force Points as a reserve that replenished when he rested, kind of like Wizards and Mana/PowerPoints. So he does recover it, but needs sleep or significant meditation to recover, i.e. after the battle.

If you make it replenish that fast, then I'd start with Luke in the middle (i.e. 5 pts). What about adding a new Event Card that is a "Strong In The Force" or something that replenishes Luke's store? Event cards seem more Assault On Hoth-ish than just auto-replenishing.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. New cards, or (to prevent skewing the deck ratio) just added to a few of the Rebel cards. I think that would add to the excitement of drawing a bit as well. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He isn't trained yet, though.

He goes to meet Yoda AFTER this battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true as well. I guess there's no reason to change anything up other than to make things more exciting with the way Force is implemented. I seem to be of the impression that it would be more fun if the Force points were variable...probably through card drawing as shnar suggested.

I suppose this would (potentially) weaken the Rebels if Lukes Force was limited at the start instead of having the full 10 points up front. But, I think it would be more interesting for both players (at what point does Luke show himself?). It seems with the current rules, there's little incentive to hold back (am I wrong?).

What if we let Luke start with 6 Force and give +2 Force for each transport that escaped, it could be beneficial to the Rebel player to wait to use the Force until points are saved up. Then, by the end of the game, it would give the Rebels a little more Force than the standard 10. This might also give the Imps a reason to "find" him quickly.

I may be futzing with the balance, but it is fun to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always create a "Force Deck" and it costs something like 2 Force Points to draw/use a Force Card. Course, that requires a bit more work on your side, but would at least make things "more exciting"

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils 1973
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Of all suggestions I like the idea of replenishing most, because it doesn't need to alter the balance of the game. I think most balanced would be:

- Luke starts with 3 points
- replenishes 3 point after each transport leaving
- Luke is still limited to 10 points*

This way he starts with a disadvantage but can potentially spend 50% more Force. But when killed soon, he only had the disadvantage.
This way it is also an extra motivation for the Empire to kill Luke, in stead of just accept Luke's one-(or two)hit-wonder to get over with it and ignore him for the rest of the game (not bothering to fire at a depleted Luke to keep the pace).

* this is handy because only 10 Force-units can be marked at the gameboard and it gives Luke even more of a dilemma about when to reveal himself.

Because the original balance of the game is respected, I am sure we are going to try this (the match can still be regarded as an 'official match' (Geek Alert! laugh) instead of having the status of an experiment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.