Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has to be an old question, but I have yet to find a definitive answer posted, so any help would be appreciated.

Can a ranged unit in a forest shoot out, and can a unit in a forest be shot by a ranged unit more than 1 space away?

The rules say:
"To check LOS, an imaginary line is “drawn” between the
center of the attacker’s hex to the center of the target’s hex. If this
line crosses any part of a hex with an obstacle, LOS is blocked and
the target cannot be attacked. Obstacles include terrain that blocks
LOS, friendly units, and enemy units."

I think what they mean to say is that any obstacle between the target and attacker's hex block line of sight. If not, then the rule about buildings modifying a ranged attack out makes no sense. It would also be unusual for a unit to be able to see a unit that cannot see it in return (although this does indeed seem to be the case for units on hills).

Just to gripe a little, the LOS rules in the manual are a bit of a mess. Even the revised version of the rulebook says "When counting hexes, count all hexes that LOS is traced through except for the hex the attacking unit is in (see diagram on page 19)." However, this is not at all how you determine range. For range, you count the number of hexes it would take to step from the attacker to the target. If you counted every hex the LOS touches, then the range to Target 1 in the page 19 example would be 5, not 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the paragraph regarding Ranged attacks and LoS from the WIP of the Corrected and Complete Rulebook, an unofficial rewrite of the rules. Does this make it clear? If not, I would be grateful if you could edit it to be clear:

To Attack, declare what Unit is Attacking and the Target. If it is Ranged, make sure that there is both Line of Sight (LoS) and sufficient Range (distance) by counting the Target hex and every hex in between, not including the Attacker's. Terrain in the attacker's hex also does not affect LoS. It is important to note that certain Units, such as Archers in the Core Set, always attack Ranged even if they are adjacent to the Target Unit, as can be seen by the lack of a melee icon on the Unit Reference Card. This means that these type of Ranged Units do not trigger Engagement, although they can be Engaged by other Melee Attackers and Flanked as usual.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/87442

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That WIP is great - I have used that to clarify some other issues. However, LOS is not yet addressed. The rulebook as written says that you would count obstacles in the same hex as the attacker and target as blocking LOS, but that doesn't seem right. However, that could be how it is intended to work. I wish that the example on page 19 had included a target unit in range, but in a forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I did find this on the FFG forum:

1. LOS for troops in forest
Can an archer shoot at a unit that's inside a forest or is the LOS lost?
Yes. The target hex does not affect LOS.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

I would assume from this that terrain on the attacker's hex also does not affect LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that, as well. I can add that line in the WIP.

The attacker's hex also does not affect LOS.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me! It could be interesting if units could "hide" in the forest, but I am guessing that is not really the intent, based on how this type of terrain works in Battlelore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.