United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
garygarison wrote:


For the record, David, were actually kind of mocking Butlerian and his difficulties following the discussion?


Okay, for the record, David needs to work on his delivery.

And no, I didn't flag his post.


I made almost no assumptions at all about who X-ed me -- and yes, I've been told before that my delivery can be pretty piss-poor (I'll stick to the day job and not go for stand-up comic, I guess). "almost no" meant being pretty sure it wasn't Lynette, with whom I've had (very brief) geekmail contact, and I'm also fairly sure that if she wanted to give me a good kicking she'd do it in public (which is good).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Meerkat wrote:
Turns out he wasn't trying to be funny.

David, would you care to clarify for us?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
garygarison wrote:

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?


Not speaking for Lynette, but I have the day off and have been following this thread all day. This thread is about a particular user's experiences as a woman in a particular forum and various other people's opinions on either side of the issue. To have Busen Memo thrown in the middle of the thread felt like a thwap upside the head. And yes, his humor was extremely opaque. There is a time and place for everything. I don't go ballistic when I see Busen Memo in the normal forum. It's become so commonplace. But it really was a bit tone deaf here.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
David N wrote:
she2 wrote:
garygarison wrote:


For the record, David, were actually kind of mocking Butlerian and his difficulties following the discussion?


Okay, for the record, David needs to work on his delivery.

And no, I didn't flag his post.


I made almost no assumptions at all about who X-ed me -- and yes, I've been told before that my delivery can be pretty piss-poor (I'll stick to the day job and not go for stand-up comic, I guess). "almost no" meant being pretty sure it wasn't Lynette, with whom I've had (very brief) geekmail contact, and I'm also fairly sure that if she wanted to give me a good kicking she'd do it in public (which is good).


Ow please do a stand up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
You should back up and read the older posts. I don't care whether someone complains, except when they take words out of context and twist them into something they were never intended to be, and then try use this to criticise or intimidate others. Don't give me this crap that this kind of complaint doesn't have a chilling effect - we see it all the time in the media. Just look at the idiotic PC uproar over Mary J. Blige doing a fried chicken ad for Burger King. What effect do you think that will have on the ad industry?


Exactly what did this media furor chill? What exactly was it that could not be said because of this complaint? And a follow up question - was it something worth saying?

And are you really arguing that the ad industry is marginalised in US society because of one complaint? The ad industry, with all its money and access to airtime, is less powerful than a racial minority in a majority white nation?

Or are you saying that the ad industry needs to be allowed to say whatever it wants or the economy will collapse - that is, racism is fine as long as it pays the bills?

The Grinch wrote:
Now YOU are the one associating "shameful promiscuity" with women in general. You are the one making the sexist assumption, not me.:laugh:


That's demonstrably untrue, disingenuous and speaks to your own lack of understanding. Damiangerous is not being sexist, he is simply describing an existent, long held cultural contention that promiscuity is gendered - it's worse in the eyes of society to be a promiscuous woman than it is to be a promiscuous man. Besides, that argument has been made by at least one woman in this thread as well. At fault here is not damiangerous' politics, but your assumption that sexism is about the intent of words, not their reception. Furthermore, continuing to assume this means that you've either not read, or just ignored, most of the thread so far.

The Grinch wrote:
I can handle anything I damn well please. I haven't made any sexist comments; it wasn't even my joke. I have not argued to defend real sexism. All I've done is stand up for free speech, and I neither need your approval for doing so, nor care whether I have it. Nice how you tried to turn this into an argument about me as the villain, but it's not going to work. You're right on one count, it's a private forum, which means people are free to leave, which will be the consequence if we get so worried about offending someone that we're afraid to post, or if the admins listen to people like Jude cry wolf and expand the index of banned speech.


If you've made no sexist comments, what are you afraid of? How could this ban possibly affect you? You must be afraid of something else.

As far as I understand it, your argument runs like this:

There is a person using a definition of sexism that I don't understand. That person wants to apply that definition of sexism to words that I say. I am worried that they will use that definition to find sexism in the words that I say, when I don't see that they are sexist, and then make an accusation about me that I feel is undeserved.

If that's correct, you are afraid of something you don't understand. You know what? You could try to understand their definition of sexism, rather than trample their argument into the dust by telling them they're crying wolf.

And another thing - what does the "wolf" in this metaphor look like to you? Can you give me an example of "real" sexism?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
Again with all the text robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
Again with all the text :robot:


This is the wrong place to be if you want images. What did Treebeard say? If something is worth saying, it's worth taking a long time to say. I'm paraphrasing, but it's something like that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PLACEHOLDER

I'll get back to all of you ASAP, just be aware it's past 01:00 here, no wonder my sleep pattern is all over the place (yeah, consuming wine for he last six hours doesn't help), give me a few minutes to find my typing finger etc. (Have we strayed somewhat from the thread topic or is that my fault?!)

Edit
I was going to try to respond to everything in one post, but I'm not sure that I can manage that at the moment, so I'll do them one by one -- apologies if that bores anyone.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
Again with all the text robot


This is the wrong place to be if you want images. What did Treebeard say? If something is worth saying, it's worth taking a long time to say. I'm paraphrasing, but it's something like that.


Okay but if you can please make a summary for the simple minds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
My eyes, all this text robot


Is this better?


Edited re complaint about trolling


For the record, David, were actually kind of mocking Butlerian and his difficulties following the discussion?


Well spotted, sir (although I did assume -- in good faith mode -- that it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment).

Well there we go.

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took it at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?


I'm new to the BGG forums. I've used the site as an information resource for a long time, but am just dipping my toes into the community pool.

I can't speak for Sue, Lynette, or anyone else. But while I understood the intent of that post to be humor, that is pretty much exactly the kind of crap that supports an environment in which women feel relegated to a role of sexual objects and dehumanized. And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

David, Gary, the rest of the guys who nodded along - I don't think you are bad people. (Well, I don't think that yet. You might be, but that usually takes some time to establish. I'd prefer to think you are all awesome game-playing people who I would enjoying inviting into my home, even if just via the internet.) But that was out of line if you want to be inclusive and respectful of the community members who are women.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
I'm kind of late to the thread...

So the OP figured the best way to combat ignorant, bigoted jerks on a subforum of the wargames forum on the internet was to lecture them in a semi-aggressive manner? And then things degenerated from there?

The internet is famous for stuff like Godwin's Law, and the general assumption that the longer a conversation goes the further it will degenerate into memes, flame wars, or inane garbage. Going in combative is just going to accelerate things.

I'm just gonna leave this right here:



It's not necessarily sexism, or homophobia, it's anonymous bullying. It's just really low-hanging fruit that requires barely a ripple on an EEG machine to say "hur hur you're a chick" or "hur hur you've caught teh ghey".

The little X box in the lower left hand corner of the post is your friend. And if you click the "down" arrow under someone's screenname, you can actually *block* them and you'll never have to read that tripe again. It's *really* stress-free. *plonk* and you're done. Going in confrontational, or just *taking part* in that kind of stupidity makes you partially culpable, because the people in question are specifically looking to get a rise out of other people. If you ignore them, they get bored and go away.

So yes, we can report to admins. Particularly nasty stuff probably should be. But it's easy to just hit "Hide Posts From User" and censure them via the community. Even if you're not personally offended, block the bigotry. There should be a microbadge for it.

Edit: I can already hear what some of you might say. "But if the person has something constructive to say then how will we know they're saying it if we block them?" Answer? You won't. Maybe someone will quote them enough times you'll see they might have changed, but really, if someone's that bigoted, how much will they have to say be really pertinent?


Low hanging fruit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
jessicac wrote:
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
My eyes, all this text robot


Is this better?


Edited re complaint about trolling


For the record, David, were actually kind of mocking Butlerian and his difficulties following the discussion?


Well spotted, sir (although I did assume -- in good faith mode -- that it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment).

Well there we go.

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took it at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?


I'm new to the BGG forums. I've used the site as an information resource for a long time, but am just dipping my toes into the community pool.

I can't speak for Sue, Lynette, or anyone else. But while I understood the intent of that post to be humor, that is pretty much exactly the kind of crap that supports an environment in which women feel relegated to a role of sexual objects and dehumanized. And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

David, Gary, the rest of the guys who nodded along - I don't think you are bad people. (Well, I don't think that yet. You might be, but that usually takes some time to establish. I'd prefer to think you are all awesome game-playing people who I would enjoying inviting into my home, even if just via the internet.) But that was out of line if you want to be inclusive and respectful of the community members who are women.


First of all, welcome to BGG.
Second, that are some harsh words for someone who just joined.
also again: Humour is essential to these dark en deep discussions. Sometimes you need a fun moment just to lighten things up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
jessicac wrote:
And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

Lynette and Sue and I just recently came off another thread about nature of humor and the capacity to recognize it. So I'm not targeting women. I'm targeting Sue and Lynette.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why slut and not "hound dog"? ... the closest male equivalent I know of.


Why not just "slut"? Gay men are known to use the term -- with endearment, no less. I've used "slut" to describe completely straight guys whose excessive bed hopping I found distasteful.


Gay men use "f*g" as a term of endearment. Blacks call each other "n*gger" all the time.

Hell I use "slut" as a term of endearment and have been called a "slut" lovingly more than once...

But those are context aberrations. Not standard usage.

And even then.... ok a tiny painful story... an exe lover, who praised me for my sexual nature and often called me slut as an endearment, AFTER we broke up totally unexpectedly... a few weeks later we were together and I made a pass at him.

I later found out he said in all seriousness to others... because I had made a now "unwanted pass" ... "I now know why there really are downsides to dating a SLUT"

God I can't even type that without starting to cry. For three years it was all... I love this about you, you are so free of inhibitions. It is so great to not have to always be the one initiating sex. Then just a few moments of "discomfort awkward" for him and oh my gosh my being sexually assertive is a horrible thing.

I have never felt so betrayed. I literally was unable to date men, or let anyone touch me for YEARS in large part because of that damage. Every-time I started to respond to some new guy in my head would be that line... "I now know why there really are downsides to dating a SLUT" -- aka later he will despise me for what he now thinks is so great.

So please let us not pretend that the word isn't MUCH MORE LOADED when used toward a woman. And it will be easier to remove it from daily talk than make that extra load disappear.


I appreciate you sharing such a personal story. After reading, one can really understand why the term "slut" would be personally offensive to you. This is the type of thing I mentioned earlier when I said I thought there was a better way for someone to go about expressing their displeasure of certain comments without simply firing insults themselves and getting angry.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
garygarison wrote:

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took it at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?


To be fair to Lynette and I, it wasn't just us women who thought it was just a joke making light of the thread (I actually thought it was him trying to lighten the thread--rather unsuccessfully to put it mildly, but anyway...). The guy he directed it to thought he had balls for posting it. You really do have to know your audience and make your point accordingly. As I think I've said before, context is everything.

Edited for: Deleted my TMI moment as it really not relevant to this particular discussion. Plus, blah, it makes me sad to even think about that part of my life.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
[...] As I think I've said before, context is everything.

Yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
jessicac wrote:
And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

Lynette and Sue and I just recently came off another thread about nature of humor and the capacity to recognize it. So I'm not targeting women. I'm targeting Sue and Lynette.


Thanks for the additional context!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
she2 wrote:
garygarison wrote:

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took it at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?


To be fair to Lynette and I, it wasn't just us women who thought it was just a joke making light of the thread (I actually thought it was him trying to lighten the thread--rather unsuccessfully to put it mildly, but anyway...). The guy he directed it to thought he had balls for posting it. You really do have to know your audience and make your point accordingly. As I think I've said before, context is everything.

The guy, that would be me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jessicac wrote:
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
garygarison wrote:
David N wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
My eyes, all this text robot


Is this better?


Edited re complaint about trolling


For the record, David, were actually kind of mocking Butlerian and his difficulties following the discussion?


Well spotted, sir (although I did assume -- in good faith mode -- that it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment).

Well there we go.

Sue? Lynette? Now how was it that I was able to penetrate the very opaque humor in David's post while you two took it at face value and saw only reprehensible rudeness?




I'm new to the BGG forums. I've used the site as an information resource for a long time, but am just dipping my toes into the community pool.

I can't speak for Sue, Lynette, or anyone else. But while I understood the intent of that post to be humor, that is pretty much exactly the kind of crap that supports an environment in which women feel relegated to a role of sexual objects and dehumanized. And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

David, Gary, the rest of the guys who nodded along - I don't think you are bad people. (Well, I don't think that yet. You might be, but that usually takes some time to establish. I'd prefer to think you are all awesome game-playing people who I would enjoying inviting into my home, even if just via the internet.) But that was out of line if you want to be inclusive and respectful of the community members who are women.


Hi Jessica, welcome on board. Can you clarify where I was nodding along? Thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
David, I'm kind of holding off expounding in detail about your Busen Memo post until you've spelled out what exactly you were doing. Won't you chime in here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
Avatar
mbmbmb
And now, before I go to bed I just want to say this last thing:

Of all the people posting here, I really believe no one really dislikes the other sex. Some things said are rather out of stupidity or people trying to be funny. We can't live without each other. I work with women all day long and I must say I love it. They have their "dirty" humour to. And sometimes I make some "unappropriate" remarks too, but they can stand it because they know me and know it's just Humour.
Just try to get along and except that sometimes someone says something inappropriate. But never forget, we can't live without each other.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris2476 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Sturmkraehe wrote:


I read the wargames forum all the time and I really have never found it overly sexist (or homophobic), but then again, I am male and not particularly sensative to the things that Jude is complaining about. For that I apologize, but not much I can do about it.



This is where you take the wrong turn. If you cannot do anything about your own lack of sensitivity and perception ... who can?


I think he means that it's difficult for him to identify the problem. Therefore, Jude was right to identify the problem, but she was wrong in how she chose to identify the problem. We can't become more sensitive just by having someone tell us we're a bunch of bigots.

As you said, it was a BIG PICTURE problem, but it wasn't fair to attack the entire subdomain from perceived slights she had picked up over time, from various websites. She sort of let it all out on us, and was much too quick to abandon ship.

Really, in the end, I also wish Jude had given us the benefit of the doubt. But, Lynette, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic with my post, I just wanted to make sure that after 9 pages of this thread, we didn't forget the roots of the discussion, or lose track of what happened.


Actually, to be specific...

The world I grew up in has vastly changed. Things that my kids (who are now in their early 20's) take for granted as second nature are things that still catch me off guard. I am a child of the 60's and 70's and am afflicted by what my daughter calls 'geezer's tourettes.'

I am a 48 year old Pacific Northwest male. My culture and my gender (among many other things) are going to shape who I am and I recognize the fact that I am going to say and do things that I am oblivious about that will most likely offend someone. Where I live it's ok to address a mixed gender audience as "you guys." I did the same thing while teaching a class in Fresno California and the front row of the class just about collapsed in horror. I'm sorry. I didn't know. I don't do that now, but it took that experience for me to learn that that particular idiom didn't work there (or even in Seattle as I found out a year later).

There is no wrong turn. That's life. I'm not just blindly running around offending people indescriminately because I don't think it's worth trying to learn to be a sensative guy. I just recognize that it's going to happen and I will deal with it properly when it does.

I DO wish Jude had chosen a different path of dealing with the issue, but I really don't know enough about what she's put up with so far to trigger her response. If she had opened up with some cut and paste examples from the wargames forum and explained how we need to change our behavior and provided specific examples I'd have a better idea of what she was talking about. She might very well have a real issue, but it's hard to tell. The fact that she has chosen to label the whole wargaming forum as being sexist and homophobic weakens her case greatly because her observation doesn't match my own. I'll confess I have some bias but I don't think I am that stupid or ignorant that I'd miss that particular fact.

I was told by a woman with no particular dog in the fight that Jude would have had a lot more success by telling a bunch of guys what happened rather than how she felt. Guys work with facts not feelings. I think that's kind of a sexist reply myself, but all the other women in the room nodded so I guess I am wrong.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
jessicac wrote:
And then calling out how it was meant to be funny, and why can't you women have a sense of humor? Further targets women. What a perfect example, though not in the wargames sub-forum.

Lynette and Sue and I just recently came off another thread about nature of humor and the capacity to recognize it. So I'm not targeting women. I'm targeting Sue and Lynette.


Gary I am not going to go down this bunny trail with you on this thread, but if you think for one instant based on what Jessica wrote, that she wouldn't be taking the same stance as Sue and I if she read the other two threads you are off your rocker.

What you keep missing Gary, is that certain kinds of "humor" whether they are funny or not, have the intrinsic potential to also be hurtful and offensive.

That you think the humor value outweighs the damage potential is your opinion and you have a right to it. But a hell of a lot of people aren't going to agree with you... especially the ones most likely to be damaged or offended.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
I agree with Calandale here. Censoring and red-xing isn't the way. We are all human, we are all influenced by our culture and we all do things that hurt others at some point in time.

What we need to learn to do is to say, "I'm sorry I offended you. I'll do my best to not let it happen again."


Except you just, right there, disagreed with Calandale.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

For Gary...


David it seems went to get some sleep... which is fine since he already left this info in a previous post.

David N wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Really??? Here?? Now???


Yes. Yes. Yes.

Meerkat wrote:
I am not even one of the people who mind the ever present addition of Busen Memo to every Geeklist going... but that is not funny here and now.

shake


It's your call, but why don't you mind? It was not meant to be funny (if you mean in the ha-ha sense; see context) -- perhaps I used the wrong emoticon.





I suspect he meant it to be ironic, or mocking, or sarcastic ..... which are all things that can be funny as a secondary trait... but are not just about being Ha Ha funny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.