Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kind of come around now to a preference for getting and playing games that are part of a system of multiple games, e.g. the Napoleonic 20's from Victory Point games http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44613/all-games-of-the-nap....The idea is that if I'm going to put the effort into reading the rules and learning a game. I would really like the effort to bootstrap me for playing yet another game.Quads are also good for this. What are your favorite "Systems"? How many games are included under that system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite quads is Great Medieval Battles from SPI, which includes four battles - Robert at Bannockburn, the Black Prince, Tamburlaine the Great, and one about King Arthur.

I'm also a big fan of the Musket & Pike Battle Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cafagna
Italy
Trieste
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
..... What are your favorite "Systems"? How many games are included under that system?

My favorite series include:

- La Bataille Series. 20 Games. Some of them are free download, a couple of them are out of production and priceless. There are many version of rules.

- ASL, countless scenarios.

- GBACW, or Great Battles of the American Civil War: 6 games by GMT, many of them are out of production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impossible to please. I like the idea of a series, but once I get into it, I immediately start complaining that it's incomplete and that the published games in the series are given uneven treatment (i.e., some are better than others). Then I start thinking I'd rather have just a single game done very well; but when I get one of those, I complain about being limited to just the one battle or campaign.

If I ever got a complete series of top-notch games, I'd no doubt complain that I don't have time to play them, or that they're the wrong period or scale for my taste.

My constant criticism sometimes leads me to fall back on abstract games. But then I miss wargames and complain that competition is too strong in the abstract-game community.

It's always something with me. There's no living with myself.
shake

That said, I have most games in the Lock 'n Load series, and I've very much enjoyed every game I've played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Battles of the American Revolution. If you click the link, it shows all the games.

I really like Saratoga, Brandywine, Monmouth, Guilford, and Germantown. I have no interest in Savannah and Pensacola.

Monmouth can be had for cheap (I think GMT sells it for $25). Germantown and Saratoga are still in print. Guilford and Brandywine are out of print and pretty hard to find...not because they are expensive, but because folks tend to hold on to them, but if you are willing to look, trade, and pay, you could get them all.

I like them because of the history detail and the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

GBoH and more recently SCS. It Never Snows is my most keenly anticipated game of this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Dean Essig and The Gamers:

Operational Combat Series
Standard Combat Series
Tactical Combat Series
Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series
Regimental Sub-Series(now the Line of Battle Series)

But especially OCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
My favorite system has always been Great Campaigns of the American Civil War. However, other favorites are:

Regimental Sub-Series
Battles of the American Revolution
The Library of Napoleonic Battles (The newest version with the cards)

RSS and OCS I have just recently gotten into, so I'm still learning them (with RSS, I am learning them with the Line of Battle ruleset).

Napoleons Last Battles looks good. Marked Lost Battles as want in Trade right away (thats how I keep track of interesting games). Just what I need another Napoleonic system!!!!

Just marked Burma from OCS as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
My series games get a lot more play than their stand alone counterparts. GMT's Combat Commander is the current favorite, but my first loves were the block games from Columbia. I also enjoy the variety and replay value in the Lock 'n Load system. So many great games, so little time for gaming.

Combat Commander Series
Three large base games: Europe, Med(tehnically part of CC: Europe), and Pacific, plus five expansions to date.

Columbia Games
More than two dozen titles overall, with Hammer of the Scots at the top of my list. These games tend to be a little pricey, but offer a lot of depth.

Lock 'n Load
There are currently five base games on the market plus nine expansions. Forgotten Heroes (Vietnam) gets a slight nod over Day of Heroes (Mogadishu) as my favorite in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Civil War, Brigade Series is one I enjoy greatly.

Not sure if Combat Commander qualifies as a series or just a game with a lot of scenarios but I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAB series, great system, just not enough games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

GBoH and more recently SCS. It Never Snows is my most keenly anticipated game of this year.

I knew I shouldn't have looked.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
My favorite system has always been Great Campaigns of the American Civil War. However, other favorites are:

Regimental Sub-Series
Battles of the American Revolution
The Library of Napoleonic Battles (The newest version with the cards)

RSS and OCS I have just recently gotten into, so I'm still learning them (with RSS, I am learning them with the Line of Battle ruleset).
I know the Napoleon's Last Battles (vanilla) and the M.Stumptner variant: Last Battles of Napoleon.

But I don't know a new NLB version with cards. And the 'series page' offers little info. Any links? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like the idea of a system more than the implementation. In general, I prefer a game system to be tailored to a particular battle. That way I have a unique experience that can better capture the historical feel of a particular engagement. Where I think a system can really shine is lots of faster playing battles, such as with the Commands & Colors: Ancients system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely a system guy. I like the idea that once I know the core rules, I can play hundreds of games without forgetting and relearning things.
On a more subtle level, my favourite wargaming experience is playing a brand new ASL scenario that neither myself nor my opponent have seen before. The tactical challenge of grokking a situation I've never seen before and making the correct moves is a great thrill, but it doesn't work as well if I don't already know the rules and the tactical basics.
I've played enough to know that a human wave against that bunker is a bad idea, but I still have to come up with a solution, and my solution won't fail because I didn't know the obscure rule that flamethrowers negate the protection from the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.