Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it look to anyone like I may be able to use the Second Edition Conversion Kit, with the Second Edition Base Game, to play ANY Monster or Hero from First Edition in Second Edition with use of a proxy?

If so, this is one indispensable expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by "proxy", but my guess is yes. That's the whole point. The Heroes will be immediately usable, the Monsters will probably have a swap-out-list or perhaps special Overlord Spawn Cards that you use.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:
Does it look to anyone like I may be able to use the Second Edition Conversion Kit, with the Second Edition Base Game, to play ANY Monster or Hero from First Edition in Second Edition with use of a proxy?

I may not understand your question quite right, but that seems to be the very point - that any of the figures in 1E will be usable in 2E (so if you had a proxy, you'd be able to do the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
mkaup366 wrote:

I may not understand your question quite right, but that seems to be the very point - that any of the figures in 1E will be usable in 2E (so if you had a proxy, you'd be able to do the same).

I think you understood his question just fine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only thing reused from 1E are the minis? No tilesets or something else made necessary ( note I have not played Descent )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
So the only thing reused from 1E are the minis? No tilesets or something else made necessary ( note I have not played Descent )?

Not "officially", though there will probably be fan made quests that use everything under the sun...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the guys that doesn't have 1st ED. As such, I'm extremely interested in proxying the old heroes/monsters, as I've pre-ordered the convesion kit, with new minis so as not to have to worry about lacking something. I would much rather have a mini for each available piece that could be placed and don't really want to use tokens, except as a means of last resort. Obviously that is not a cheap way to go, however I think it is a much cheaper option than buying the old 1st ED set and expansions just for the minis.

I've been searching the minis on various sites for inexpensive, close matches. Does anyone have a recommendation in regards to which brand would be roughly the same size as the old 1st ED miniatures in terms of height and base size.

I'm also curious regarding which of the current monsters have large bases. I belive the Dragon is 2X3 and the hellhound is 2X1. Other than that I'm unsure. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is going to be a big issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:

I'm also curious regarding which of the current monsters have large bases. I belive the Dragon is 2X3 and the hellhound is 2X1. Other than that I'm unsure. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is going to be a big issue?

1x2:
Hellhound
Blood Ape
Wendigo

2x2:
Bane Spider
Chaos Beast
Demon
Giant
Golem
Manticore
Naga
Ogre
Troll

2x3:
Dragon
Ice Wyrm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
I'm also curious regarding which of the current monsters have large bases. I believe the Dragon is 2X3 and the hellhound is 2X1. Other than that I'm unsure. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is going to be a big issue?

What issue do you mean? They have to take the same space in the game, that's it. Personally I'm rebasing mine on cast resin cobblestone bases cut to size with ~2mm to spare from each direction. A lot of work, but hey, I have the whole set and I'm gonna paint it anyway, it's not THAT much more work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:
I'm also curious regarding which of the current monsters have large bases. I believe the Dragon is 2X3 and the hellhound is 2X1. Other than that I'm unsure. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is going to be a big issue?

What issue do you mean? They have to take the same space in the game, that's it. Personally I'm rebasing mine on cast resin cobblestone bases cut to size with ~2mm to spare from each direction. A lot of work, but hey, I have the whole set and I'm gonna paint it anyway, it's not THAT much more work...

The issue was playing these by proxy. I don't have the original sets so would be looking to purchase miniatures that would closely resemble the originals in both base size and features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
msg tools
The problem with getting proxies for all the monsters and heroes is that it will most likely be far cheaper to just buy the old edition game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
Znuff wrote:
The problem with getting proxies for all the monsters and heroes is that it will most likely be far cheaper to just buy the old edition game instead.

Yeah. The only time I'd even consider it would be if you have a large Warhammer fantasy scene and people wanting to get rid of undead/ogre/beastman/monster minis on the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.