Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question (Monster on a gate [plus historical society card]) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I resolve the following????

1st turn, Gate and Monster appear at "Woods", and the monster doesn't move, so it stays on the gate. My guy moves to the "Historical Society" and draws "The Society members are bird watching in the woods. The Janitor offers you a ride there. If you accept, move to the Woods and draw 2 cards, encountering one card of your choice and discarding the other."

I ponder "accepting" and then my head explodes.

1: If i move to a location with a gate and a monster, do i fight the monster or get sucked through the gate?

2: If i "accept" the cards offer, do I resolve the card, skip the card, where does combat enter into it?

Is it possible to get Rules Manual pages to help me find the answer?

Also, when I get back from the other world in the move phase, can I then use my full move in the "regular" world? I'm asking cause i thought i read somewhere in the rules a mention that when you get back from an other world and end on a gate with a monster, that the monster can't attack you that turn which i took to infer that that was your opportunity to move away. From page 18 in the middle "MONSTERS GUARDING GATES
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subsequent turns, if the investigator remains in the location, he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jundle wrote:

1st turn, Gate and Monster appear at "Woods", and the monster doesn't move, so it stays on the gate. My guy moves to the "Historical Society" and draws "The Society members are bird watching in the woods. The Janitor offers you a ride there. If you accept, move to the Woods and draw 2 cards, encountering one card of your choice and discarding the other."

1: If i move to a location with a gate and a monster, do i fight the monster or get sucked through the gate?

No, you do not fight the monster at the woods as you only engage him in Phase 2 and this is now Phase 3. You get sucked through the gate as your "encounter" because an open gate completely replaces a location and being drawn through replaces any encounter.

Quote:
2: If i "accept" the cards offer, do I resolve the card, skip the card, where does combat enter into it?

If you accept the offer, you will go to the gate and get drawn through to the corresponding Other World. You will not be delayed as this gate was open prior to your arrival.

Quote:
Is it possible to get Rules Manual pages to help me find the answer?

No, it was clarified in the FAQs.

Quote:
Also, when I get back from the other world in the move phase, can I then use my full move in the "regular" world? I'm asking cause i thought i read somewhere in the rules a mention that when you get back from an other world and end on a gate with a monster, that the monster can't attack you that turn which i took to infer that that was your opportunity to move away. From page 18 in the middle "MONSTERS GUARDING GATES
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subsequent turns, if the investigator remains in the location, he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal."

No. When in the other world, your movement is replaced by just going to the next spot. So you "used up movement" just getting back but cannot move for the rest of this turn.

Because of this, the game grants you this one turn to ignore the monster so you have the opportunity to close the gate during Phase 3. otherwise you risk losing the progress you made if you were to fight the monster and lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jundle wrote:

No, you do not fight the monster at the woods as you only engage him in Phase 2 and this is now Phase 3. You get sucked through the gate as your "encounter" because an open gate completely replaces a location and being drawn through replaces any encounter.

Arkham Horror FAQ page 3 wrote:
Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?

A: First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

My interpretation of the above statement from the FAQ means that I engage the monster first, resolve that, then go through the gate. Am I wrong?

Also, where is the general rule about what happens when you land on an area that has a gate and a Monster? What is resolved first? Is it just this section in the FAQ or is there something more concrete in the main rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jundle wrote:
Arkham Horror FAQ page 3 wrote:
Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?

A: First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

My interpretation of the above statement from the FAQ means that I engage the monster first, resolve that, then go through the gate. Am I wrong?

Also, where is the general rule about what happens when you land on an area that has a gate and a Monster? What is resolved first? Is it just this section in the FAQ or is there something more concrete in the main rules?

Unfortunately, this FAQ entry has been overturned but it keeps getting printed in the expansion rule books. It was confirmed by Kevin Wilson directly that Innsmouth was again printed incorrectly and that you are to follow the phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I just found the FFG post! For anyone looking, this is the URL and Reply #8 clarifies how it overrides the FAQ.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thank you again ColtsFan76!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.