Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beth Davis
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What expansions would you recommend for Memoir '44? We have the base game. My 14 yo son loves playing and wants more.
What order would you rank getting the expansions?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's oop but if you can get your hands on it I would get the Memoir '44: Air Pack. Otherwise I love the Memoir '44: Eastern Front and Memoir '44: Terrain Pack. To get the full benefit of those you'll probably need Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board Map just for aesthetics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only have a few of the expansions but my recommendation would be:

- Campaign Book, vol. 2 (1st volume is out-of-print with no plans to reprint, IIRC)

- Any of the expansions that the book lists as requirements.

I've always enjoyed M44, but the Campaign Book has really breathed new life into the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Eastern Front is great
2. Pacific Front is awesome

I would get the terrain pack and air pack only if you have at least those two and want to enhance those and all the other expansions. Beware I found the airpack great but the air rules added I think added more complexity to the game. The campaign books are amazing but only if you are going to be playing ALOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, just get all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist might help:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/123154/memoir-44-expan...

There are 17 scenarios on the Days of Wonder website that can be used with the base set, have you tried those out yet? They are listed in the above geeklist.

From what I have found... pick a front you are interested in and buy that expansion... Eastern, Pacific, Mediterranean (and be aware that some of the extra web scenarios require the Terrain Pack).

I think I enjoy the Pacific pack the best, those Japanese were tough.

Anyway, I think the geelist will help you with your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Any of the army packs are great additions.
2. Operation Overlord if you want more strategic depth to the game.

3. The air pack, terrain pack and winter wars adds the least to the game. Unless you like to design your own stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd say the best are Eastern and Pacific.

My preference is for the Eastern, but although not required you may feel the need to buy the overpriced winter/desert board. You can use the normal board, just that it doesn't look as good putting the snowy hex overlays on the green board.

Pacific isn't far behind and has the advantage that it uses the standard board, so from that respect it is the cheaper expansion to get looking right.

The Desert is my least favourite. Being a Brit it should have been a 'Must Have' but I find it hard to forgive the blatent model errors in the infantry and tank minis. If you overlook these then this expansion is quite quick and brutal being quite tank heavy with little cover. The winter\desert board is essential to get the atmosphere right.

Be aware that none of the expansions make big changes. They each add some slight extra rules but essentially it is the same game.

One niggle I have is the lack of reference cards in the expansions. One of the great things about the base game is that you put out the reference cards for the terrain and units used in the scenario. This means you don't have to keep referring to the rule pack. Although the expansions add new units and terrain they don't include the reference cards. This is where the Air Pack came in - aswell as the aircraft rules it included the reference cards for all expansions released before it. The Air Pack is OOP and DoW have made it very clear that it will never be reissued. Shame - personally, I think the cards should have been in the expansions anyway - but for now the least DoW could do would be to release the cards on their own.

In lieu, you will find a reference sheet on BGG that you can print out - does the job but not as good as the individual cards.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Evers
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed all the expansions I've played thus far. Lesson learned is to buy up the expansions before they go out of print like a couple already have.

I have really enjoyed Eastern Front along with the winter/desert board which really sets the stage for the snow covered battles. The Commissiar chip in the Eastern expansion adds a nice twist too.

Curious to hear when the next expansion will be announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Davis
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had won the lottery to get them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's how I'd rank them:

1 - Eastern Front
2 - Pacific Front
3 - Terrain Pack
4 - Air Pack
5 - Winter/Desert Board Map

Out of those I'd say only the Eastern front is a near to being called a "must have" just for the extra variety and options it provides.

As with almost every game system, I'm not one to add piles of expansions as I don't think they are good bang for the buck value... I'd rather invest in another base game than add endless "more of the same" stuff that really doesn't increase the enjoyment factor in the game for the money and time spent.

Others will argue differently and no one is correct in a black and white sense but I've just found it's very much a case of diminishing returns once you go beyond 1 or 2 expansions... and again this isn't solely limited to M'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.