Dixit» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My Favourite Escapism Tool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version: I love Dixit. It is one of my favourite games.

Bit longer version:

I have few groups of friends I play games with. I have a friend who hates direct conflict and loves Puerto Rico. I have another who wants game to have theme and epic feel - we play Twilight Imperium and Runewars, sometimes Cyclades. I play Le Havre and Ora et Labora with my Wife. I play Warhammer 40k and Twilight Struggle with yet another friend. And sometimes I even meet with people who dont like board games at all

And last summer I was with all of them on a trip - with many different games. We spent evenings playing - there were some play-trades (lets play Puerto Rico today and then Cosmic Encounter tommorow). And then I discovered that there is one game we dont need to make play-trades about. Even with my friend who hates games

That game was (surprise) Dixit.

The game is exceptionally simple:
- everyone takes 6 cards
- one person - the storyteller - says something related to one of his cards and puts it face down on the table
- rest of players choose from their cards the one that seems most related to what the storyteller said and put it face down on the table
- then the cards are shuffled and everyone besides storyteller makes a guess which was the "original" card
- if the clue was too easy (everybody guessed correctly) or to hard (noone did) everyone except storyteller gets the points
- if only part of players guessed, they get points along with storyteller
- there are also additional points for putting good card which fooled some players.

And thats it. And yet we spend many evenings looking at 84 pictures like those:

This game is absolutely fantastic. When you see the same image again and you have to make yet another association you feel your brain steaming. I can play it not even counting the cards. The fun of thinking what will my friends come up with this time is enough reward for me.

This game is one of my 10/10 and that probably wont change. If you havent tried Dixit before, do so - it is worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the story. It really puts the game in context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.