Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
1. Remember this: "Your scoring design is your game design". The most important question to a game is how to win. Remember this because this is all your players will remember. To help illustrate this:

2. Pick a game. Any game. Preferably one that has a lot of "bits" to it.

3. Change the goal. Instead of "collect 10 VP" or "be the player with the most magic beans" or "destroy your enemies castle" or "unlock the secret of the wizard" - you must change it. Change it to something different. Be subtle and be interesting. Don't render the game unplayable, just change the goal.

4. Play the game. Or at least think hard about how the game would play under the new conditions.

5. Post the results here or talk about how the game would change so immensely from such a subtle change. Or, in fact: would it change at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea for chess: Eliminate all of your opponent's pawns.

Could be a fun game, although the king ends up being a rather useless piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders with the "Reiner Rule" for winning - after counting up points, determine which area you have the fewest points in. Whoever has the greatest amount of points in their worst area is the winner

It may require some tweaking (in particular with military, yellow cards, and military). But then again, adding that level of challenge might add an extra level to the game. It certainly wouldn't be a modification for "light" gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
An idea for chess: Eliminate all of your opponent's pawns.

Could be a fun game, although the king ends up being a rather useless piece.

Advance your king off the other side of the battlefield?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnduBois wrote:
7 Wonders with the "Reiner Rule" for winning - after counting up points, determine which area you have the fewest points in. Whoever has the greatest amount of points in their worst area is the winner

It may require some tweaking (in particular with military, yellow cards, and military). But then again, adding that level of challenge might add an extra level to the game. It certainly wouldn't be a modification for "light" gamers.

That's a really interesting idea. I don't think it's very viable, though; by design, in order to profit in military someone else must be doing poorly. Science is also fairly limited.

I think it might actually work, though, with a slight tweak: drop your lowest score from ONE category. This way you don't have everyone competing for both science and military, which are fairly limited resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy one: Alien Frontiers. No scoring. Remove the Alien City and Alien Monument cards. First player to put all his colonies on the planet wins. That's already what happens in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

The Navia Dratp variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been there... changed that... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tlmirkes wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

The Navia Dratp variant

Also, too easy...get my knight and bishop out of the way, castle, a couple more moves and win the game...player who goes first wins every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.