United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Finally, a fascinating local dilemma is going to court today. I'll sum it up and then provide a link to today's story -

This guy who couldn't talk lived in Boise after growing up in a nearby rural community. He drew and made paper objects like a demon... his whole life. He even made his version of "books" although nobody ever knew if he could read. His creations are unusual and easily dismissed unless you stop for a moment and actually look at what the man created. Most of his early works were drawn with a sharpened stick using soot from the stove moistened by spit. The guy died in the 70's and his caretaker sister died (I think) in the 90's. About that time local Idaho art critics realized something - this dead guy, James Castle, was an awesome artist. Unique and endlessly creative.

Which means nowadays some galleries sell little pieces he drew on envelopes or scraps of paper for prices approaching $15K for each. That's a whole lot of coinage and Mister Castle never did anything in his 70 years but draw and make paper art pieces. So if that value holds, his collection is worth millions. And his remaining family have a trust that owns it. Except.... for the 150+ pieces located in his old house by the two sisters that bought it about 15 years ago.

And therein lies the lawsuit. The owners of the house could have a payday worth untold thousands. The secretive family that is hoarding his creations like DeBeers hoards diamonds (why else would anyone pay those stupid prices for sparkly rocks?) says they own the stuff the two sisters located during a remodel.

I suspect this one is far from over and I am siding, for the moment, with the two sisters who bought the house. Their intentions seemed pure to begin with and their stated motivation for buying the old place was it was the house Castle lived in. They are proud to own it.

The judge will decide - Story here.

I like his art by the way. I am amazed anyone would pay the lofty sums reported, but his creations are fascinating.

That second piece, the bird, apparently sold at Christie's back in 2003 for over $10K. Really? Wow. No wonder this is in court.

Who owns this found art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IOnemmans art is another mans old tat. But if they brought the house then the craps thiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I suspect this one is far from over and I am siding, for the moment, with the two sisters who bought the house.

From what I remember of common property law (it's been a while), the precedents should line up with the sisters as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I think you'd do your best to expend your energy getting in good with the sisters Tripp. That way, regardless of how it works out in the end, you'll at least get to have some fun.

Grab a granny night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I think you'd do your best to expend your energy getting in good with the sisters Tripp. That way, regardless of how it works out in the end, you'll at least get to have some fun.

The thought has crossed my mind, believe me. But whenever I hear about two unmarried sisters buying a house together I don't exactly get the image of a pair of Playboy smut-sisters... more like chin whiskers, beady eyes and beefy thighs.

So far it seems the initial response is the same as mine - the sisters bought the house and it's contents. The family, at the time, trivialized Castle's creations but now that they are worth big bucks they have had a change of heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting art with a very dark mood to it. Love the Stork also.Thanks for the exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

The thought has crossed my mind, believe me. But whenever I hear about two unmarried sisters buying a house together I don't exactly get the image of a pair of Playboy smut-sisters... more like chin whiskers, beady eyes and beefy thighs.

So far it seems the initial response is the same as mine - the sisters bought the house and it's contents. The family, at the time, trivialized Castle's creations but now that they are worth big bucks they have had a change of heart.

20/20 greed is a wonderfull thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
James Castle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

And the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

And the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
IOnemmans art is another mans old tat. But if they brought the house then the craps thiers.
Does my inner art snob detect that we here in RSP have our own "naïve" poet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I once paid $110 for a painting from a four-year-old entitled "Bunny with Carrot."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I once paid $110 for a painting from a four-year-old entitled "Bunny with Carrot."

Ha. Loser! I got a print of that one for $8 and put it in a Dollar Store frame. I tell my kids they drew it so they won't suspect I tossed all their grade school art out years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
So I wonder who is going to claim ownership of all the bodies buried below the floorboards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So I wonder who is going to claim ownership of all the bodies buried below the floorboards?

"I'm not a Brewster! I'm the son of a sea cook!"
"I'm not a cab driver, I'm a coffee pot!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:

Since the worth of the artwork is a bit of a windfall for everyone presently involved, were I advising in this case I would probably suggest that splitting the funds evenly between the estate and the home buyers stands to enrich them all, while a protracted legal battle stands primarily to enrich their lawyers.
Since the people involved are ...well... people, look for greed to take over and the lawyers to be the major beneficiaries of this affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
And therein lies the lawsuit. The owners of the house could have a payday worth untold thousands. The secretive family that is hoarding his creations like DeBeers hoards diamonds (why else would anyone pay those stupid prices for sparkly rocks?) says they own the stuff the two sisters located during a remodel.

Who owns this found art?

I think the secretive family gets it in this case. Even if you throw out your art collection you can later reclaim it -- weird, I know. I think even if they sold the house and contents to the sisters they can still get the art back by claiming it was unwittingly lost.

The above analysis based on a TV show where people find famous paintings at the tip then having to give them to some rich arsehole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEOPLE IN IDAHO CAN DRAW?!?!?!?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Does my inner art snob detect that we here in RSP have our own "naïve" poet?

I doudt it, I'm not that literate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
PEOPLE IN IDAHO CAN DRAW?!?!?!?!?!?

Not looking at this stuff they can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.