Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Salvato
United States
Melville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms but just curious what people think about these two games, since they are both on Kickstarter and have similar themes. I'm leaning toward Zombicide myself for no other reason at this point than the art style and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
westfall60 wrote:
Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms but just curious what people think about these two games, since they are both on Kickstarter and have similar themes. I'm leaning toward Zombicide myself for no other reason at this point than the art style and components.

^^ this... except my reason for leaning towards Zombicide is professional experience of the design team and publishing company. But I like aspects of each of the games and am torn overall.

Must quench thirst for brains zombie game... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed both. I'm a sucker for a Zombie game, and even if I wasn't they both sound like fun, and seem different enough to both get a spot on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was to back both games but I'm not sure I like the move Zpocalypse made with the 80K Stretch reward... Changing from '30 more zombies' to 'make a new zombie fig'. And doing it after the reward was obtained...

What do you think of this?

For now I prefer Zombicide for the team behind the game. I'm a fan of the confrontation stuff! But I think Zpoc is doing a better communication job so far... Probably because Guillotine games is leaving Cool mini or Not doing the communication on the kickstarter.

Cigal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing both, but I'm leaning more towards Zombicide (still don't know if I'll have the strenght to abbandon Zpocalypse). Indeed, the presentation of Zombicide is better, they have a lot of experience and the quantity, quality and variety of minis is impressive. However, there's something about Zpocalypse that makes me want to have both. I don't know if I really need two zombie games, and not having the rulebooks available makes deciding even harder (that way, we could determine which mechanics we like more in an "objective" way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a buddy and split. I'm backing Zpoc and my bro-in-law is backing Zcide.

They both look good. Zpoc looks to be more RPG-lite, while Zcide looks more mini-heavy. Zpoc sounds more goal or mission oriented, while Zcide seems to be more of a shoot-em-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I've backed Zombicide, undecided on Zpoc. The combination of the designers and the look of the game was all I needed to put my money down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just backed both...so excited! They look different enough in their execution to warrant the purchases and they look like the Zombie games that are up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cigal wrote:
I was to back both games but I'm not sure I like the move Zpocalypse made with the 80K Stretch reward... Changing from '30 more zombies' to 'make a new zombie fig'. And doing it after the reward was obtained...

What do you think of this?

For now I prefer Zombicide for the team behind the game. I'm a fan of the confrontation stuff! But I think Zpoc is doing a better communication job so far... Probably because Guillotine games is leaving Cool mini or Not doing the communication on the kickstarter.

Cigal

Ive backed both.
@ Cigal, The reason it was changed is because we the backers, voted for it.
The Devs put forward a vote.
Would we rather have 30 more zombie figs, or new sculpts.
They said in their play testing that they never really needed the 90 zombies.
Bare in mind, that the 60 zombies you would get now is 20 single and 40 double. So count wise, its actually 100 zombies game wise.

Its not that they pulled a bait and switch or anything.
The vote started close to a week ago. And closed this past weekend. At which time they were at PAX east. So I dont think they had bad intent. I just think they didnt get a chance to change it until it was already past $80k. So it was not them that decided to change it. They left it to the backers.

On top of that, they have a new $100k reward coming out that is currently being voted on by the backers.
It includes choices like, custom blue dice, limited numbered editions, blank cards of all types in the game, more cards for the expansion, or a new indoor special use scavenge deck.

All that being said I like both games.
Zpocalypse seems to be a cross between 28 days later and Shaun of the dead. A survive as long as we can game.
Whereas Zombicide strikes me more akin to Zombieland. A kill as many as you can game.

They both seem to have great mechanics.
Zpoc has more my attention being that the Devs are more involved with their backers. Letting the backers chose things for the game.
Whereas Zombicide, its hard to hear much from the Devs there.
Im not bashing, just the difference between a bigger corporation and a smaller company.

In closing, they are themed the same. Zombies.
But they are very different games.
Zpoc, you search, fortify, and try to survive. With more variety in the game board.
Zombicide, you search, and kill zombies while trying to complete scenarios. With more variety in the zombies and sculpts.

Side note, as far as the rulebooks go, while Zpoc;s rule book isnt out the do have several videos summarizing each page of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
A further factor in my decision to go with Zombicide is that it cost $75 with $25 shipping whereas Zpoc would cost $55 with $35 shipping. I'll still get Zombicide cheaper than if I'd waited to buy it new plus the two promo survivors. I'll probably wind up paying more for Zpoc so the extras don't make it worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
mbmbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
A further factor in my decision to go with Zombicide is that it cost $75 with $25 shipping whereas Zpoc would cost $55 with $35 shipping. I'll still get Zombicide cheaper than if I'd waited to buy it new plus the two promo survivors. I'll probably wind up paying more for Zpoc so the extras don't make it worthwhile.

Huh?

Zombicide: $75 + $25 = $100
Zpocalypse: $55 + $30(not $35 since they lowered international shipping) = $85

I don't understand how you could say Zombicide is cheaper. In fact, the reason I'm backing Zpoc and not Zombicide is the high cost, $100 or just the base game with promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Ahern

Massachusetts
msg tools
publisher
Well as a developer of Zpocalypse and a backer of Zombicide, I say why choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Salvato
United States
Melville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
JulieZpocalypse wrote:

Good point, I'm backing both too! zombie

One can never have too many zombie games...at least that's what my Daughter tells me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely backing both. Tis a good time to be a zombie board game fan! Don't forget the LNoE expansions coming, too! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed both as well. IMHO, these two are the best zombie games to date and both offer a lot of variety. I think Zpoc is more of a sim while Zombicide is more like a video game. Both are super cool. I cant wait to see if I can some how combine the two for epic undead killing gloriousness! LEGENDARY!! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Bahnsen
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been debating with myself all week and I think I'm going to back both. I was leaning toward just doing Zpoc, but since Zombicide added the custom dice to the $100 level...I have reconsidered.

My wallet doesn't like that, but the two games seem different enough. I'm excited about the search & fortify aspects of Zpoc, but who can resist the sweet minis in Zombicide? (not me) I'm a total sucker for zombies and a crazy completist so both are just too tempting to ignore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Keppler
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to back both, though I prefer Zpocalypse if I only had money for one. Zpocalypse is slightly more free, sandboxy, and less constrained from what I can tell at a glance. For me, over-production (which tends to add restrictions) is a huge turn off, so Zpocalypse is the game for me.

I also prefer the Zpocalypse art style to the over-produced, serious (abstract dark) tone of Zombicide. It came off as a bit pretentious and I don't think I'd get into it as much. I do appreciate the higher quality components, block-style maps, etc, though.

I'm absolutely backing both, and can't wait to play them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
I backed both. I'm a sucker for a Zombie game, and even if I wasn't they both sound like fun, and seem different enough to both get a spot on the shelf.
Don't feel too bad my friend, I did this also...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very torn on which I'd like to back myself. Not the either need me to help back them but I do like the idea of getting a reduced under MSRP plus specials but really to back at certain levels is pretty pricey. Zombicide's team does seem more experienced and a buddy of mine has said he likes the art and design of it better. Both look like games I'd like to try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one of them (this one) looks to be scenario based, almost like a video game, and the other looks like a faux RPG more than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both look really cool seem different enough to justify getting them. I'm backing both and, if all else fails, I'm hoping someone housrules them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
because of the high international shipping rates i have to decide for one. in the moment i think it is zombicide.
i like the artwork very much. i also like the scenarios and the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they released their rulebooks already. I'm torn between these two as well. I can't afford both since I'm still a student. Heck I even need to save to get either one.

Decisions, decisions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
JulieZpocalypse wrote:

Well, if I could get one game free, I'd be happy to back the other.whistle

In the real world, most of us have a limited gaming budget and have to make a choice.

I am currently backing Zpoc, but that may change if Zcide has better rules. Too bad neither game have posted their rules. Zpoc might win out if neither post their rules, simply due to inertia.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“Yeah sure, take the shotgun if you want, I’ll take the... AMMONIUM... NITRATE!”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.