Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: ((CLOSED - THANKS FOR COMING!!)) 2012 Local swapmeet trade for SoCal BGG users rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Event: SoCal BGG "Swap Meet"
When: April 28, 2012, 10:00am - 12:00pm
Where: Barnes Park, 350 S. McPherrin Avenue, Monterey Park, CA 91754

Please feel free to stop by to buy, sell, and play board games with local BGG users.

Barnes park is located at 350 S. McPherrin Avenue. It measures approximately 17 acres. At the heart of Monterey Park, this park features a community center, basketball gym, Memorial bowl, sheltered picnic pavilion, olympic size pool, lighted softball field, tennis courts, and a children's play area. Barnes Park is within walking distance of City Hall and the Fire Department.

We will be meeting in the picnic pavillion, which is a sheltered area with many cafeteria-style tables for public use. You can't miss it. There is some parking near this area, but most of the parking is on the other side of the park.

Rules:
* Please be responsible for any damage/loss of games you bring.
* There is no smoking or drinking of alchohol allowed at the park.
* Do not pickup or open anyone's game without first asking the owner's permission.
* No transactions with anyone under the age of 18.
* No transactions prior to 10:00am.
* I'll have a signup sheet so we can record some statistics afterward. Please signin when you arrive.
* In case of any problems or questions the day of the event, feel free to call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. ((Removed after the event.))

Tips & Notes:
* Barnes Park is about a 90 minute drive from Palmdale, a 45 minute drive from San Fernando, a 30 minute drive from Pasadena, about 40 minutes from downtown L.A., about 45 minutes from Long Beach, about 45 minutes from Tustin, about 60 minutes from Irvine, and about 45 minutes from Rancho Cucamonga.
* Bring some paper and pens for note-taking. You may also want to bring sticky notes to put your names on the game boxes.
* Bring plenty of cash to buy games and make change. Try to bring smaller bills, if possible.
* There are electrical outlets in the picnic area, but I have no idea if they work. I will be bringing a wireless hotspot device so that we can have internet access. This will allow you to look up information on BGG and to process payments via paypal.
* We should be done trading and purchasing by 12:00pm. After that, we may spend a few hours playing board games or hanging out in the park.
* Most of the food around here is Asian. Marts, stores, ATM, etc, are about half a mile from the park.
* There's very little in the city to do or see, but the park includes a swimming pool, baseball diamond, and tennis courts. I'll be bringing a tennis racket in case anyone wants to join me in tennis. There is also a library across the street.
* Selling/trading is technically not allowed in Monterey Park public areas, so let's try to be subtle and respectful while we are there. This means primarily watching our volume and not making a public specacle of ourselves.
* This is an internet meetup, and consequently has some inherent creepiness. Let's all keep the creepiness down by agreeing not to come alone and not to deal with unattended minors.
* I will have some bottled water and sodas. The earlier you arrive, the more likely some may still be available.

---

Hello,

I am interested in getting rid of some of my games. Because some of the boxes have visible damage, I would prefer to trade this games to local BGG users who can see what they are getting before making the deal. We can even play the game before making the trade.

I am considering trying to arrange a get-together of SoCal BGG users on April 28, 2012, somewhere around the Long Beach / Paramount / Lakewood area. I'd say there needs to be at least six of us coming to make this worth our while, and I recommend each of us bring at least one person from our respective gaming groups, if possible.

Here is a geeklist showing some of the items people intend on bringing to the event: ((CLOSED)) 2012 SoCal BGG Board Game Swap Meet, play and trade games!

---

I have about 20 games on the geeklist above, and the geeklist shows my prices but I am willing to bargain and trade. I am willing to bargain especially well if you have any of these five games: Ares Project, Shadow Hunters, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Gears of War, and Rex: Final Days of Empire. In addition to individual trades and sales, I would also trade the whole lot of 20 games for all five of these games or sell the lot for $250.

---

These are 5 people who have said they will be attending this event: lordrahvin, DevilDawg90, Bromero, davebluedevil, unit00

In addition, 9 people have said they might be able to attend: toucana, MyParadox, gdapkus, JamesT, bandit_boy7, gentrell, atticus, Bombz xTSx

---

I don't have a location yet. I'll be working on that next week. We might be able to just meet at a park or something if I can find one that has plenty of tables. I know of one in one in Monterey Park that would be perfect. I'm going to keep looking for other locations too, and maybe look into renting a presentation room or something.

---
Are any other SoCal BGG users interested in getting together, bringing a whole bunch of games for trade, and seeing what deals can be made with whoever shows up? If you are interested in coming to this get-together (its not formal enough to call it an event), please post here and let us know. It would be nice to have an expected headcount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Saucedo
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Local swapmeet trade for SoCal BGG users
That would be awesome, ive been actively trading this pass month so i wouldnt have to many games to trade but i would love to purchase some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what's coming to Long Beach I could trek down my trade list. I have a large number I want to dump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, depending on response, I do have a bunch of games to sell and trade as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If this gets off the ground, I wouldn't mind attending.

The question becomes, should we look at potential trades first or run a math trade? That might be better than blindly showing up and seeing what's what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

The question becomes, should we look at potential trades first or run a math trade? That might be better than blindly showing up and seeing what's what.

Agreed. I'd suggest if there's enough interest at least set up a geek list so people can list what they are selling and arrange for buyers ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdapkus wrote:
MyParadox wrote:

Agreed. I'd suggest if there's enough interest at least set up a geek list so people can list what they are selling and arrange for buyers ahead of time.

Agreed. I'll setup a geeklist later tonight, but I was kind of thinking it might be more fun if sales weren't arranged ahead of time -- each of us just arranged a table full of stuff and walked around to see what everyone has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Saucedo
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a geeklist is the best idea. Anything that doesnt get any bites can still be brought for a swapmeet sytle your looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, here's the geeklist: ((CLOSED)) 2012 SoCal BGG Board Game Swap Meet, play and trade games!

I'm still picturing this more like a swap meet type thing so I'm very flexible on my items, as far as giving bulk discounts, trading for other interesting things (especially new stuff), or if you just seem to really, really like the game.

Feel free to add your own items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Mendel
United States
westminster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and make it!

Gantrell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added my games to the list. I'd much prefer trade over cash, but since cash effectively gets me a trade, I think I can make do.

If you are interested in any of the my titles, please leave a comment or send me a geekmail. I'd like to make sure there is a half way decent shot of me either selling or buying something (or better yet trading) before I commit to heading out to Long Beach/Paramount/Lakewood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually prefer cash since most people aren't trading the games I'm looking for, but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea! I probably won't know for sure if I can make it til the week of, but I'm definitely interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This a really neat idea, though I don't have a whole lot of things I have to trade, still I look forward to this event!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone looking to dump some arkham horror expansions or Cosmic Encounter (FFG) and expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M

California
msg tools
Sounds like plenty of interest to make a trip from Oxnard down to Long Beach worth the effort! I only wish we had more games to trade

We've got the basics listed on my profile: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/davebluedevil

What kind of location are y'all thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I haven't had time to post all my games for trade or sale. Feel free to take a look at my list

[geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/shieldwolf?trade=1&subtype=boardgame&gallery=large&ff=1]My Trade list[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Sorry I haven't had time to post all my games for trade or sale. Feel free to take a look at my list

[geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/shieldwolf?trade=1&subtype=boardgame&gallery=large&ff=1]My Trade list[/geekurl]

Buffy and Infinite City interest me a little.
I'm sure you'll find people interested in Alien Frontiers and Mall of Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I can make it, but maybe a friend will be able to bring the games I have if anyone wants to buy or trade for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I see two choices for our location right now:

1) There is a large outdoor park in Monterey Park that has a separate dining area. This area is a covered area that has several tables. Use of this location would be free, but in public.

2) I can try to look into booking a small meeting room at a hotel or something. The cost should be about $100-200 and we would have the room for four hours. This could be do-able if we are all willing to chip in about $10 or so. There are a number of possible hotels in the Lakewood/Paramount/Long Beach area but I would have to call around to see which ones would give us a decent price.

I would prefer meeting at the park, if nobody minds meeting in a public outdoor place. It should be easy to find each other -- I'll be the guy with 20 gaming boxes. But if you prefer, we can try to rent a small room, too.

Let me know which option you would prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly prefer the park. Outdoors, easy to find, and free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M

California
msg tools
I like the park idea. Do you have a more specific location so I can figure out rides and such? (And perhaps invite friends that live in Pasadena...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebluedevil wrote:
I like the park idea. Do you have a more specific location so I can figure out rides and such? (And perhaps invite friends that live in Pasadena...)

I'm looking at Barnes Park. Barnes park is located at 350 S. McPherrin Avenue. It measures approximately 17 acres and includes a sheltered picnic pavilion.

Since we won't have a reservation, there's a chance these tables may be occupied or reserved that day so I suggest bringing some blankets just in case we have to setup on the grass.

I'll also be bringing some sodas and bottled water for folks.

It seems that selling/trading is prohibited at this location. We should still be okay -- it's not like we're a big event setting up a marketplace. But just in case, I'm going to look into other parks we could use and possibly pay to rent a park location for a day. (The average price seems to be $55 for several tables, which isn't bad.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Mendel
United States
westminster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The park sounds good to mee too.

Gantrell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Saucedo
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Park seems cool, do you plan on any actual gaming or just a quick meet up for people to buy and trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.