23 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: How to remember moving the turn token? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sigma Nil
Norway
flag msg tools
I love eclipse. But I have one gripe. We tend to forget about moving the turn marker, sometimes leading to significantly longer games than a mere 9 turns. It's to the game's credit that it doesn't collapse because of this, but...

Does anyone have a way to remember to move that damned thing?

(Have the same problem in for example smallworld...)

I really like games that have some sort of easily visible and integral game-ending mechanic that you don't have to think about. Such as Puerto Rico with running out of people. Or just about any traditional game...

Any ideas for getting this kind of game-ending mechanic in eclipse? Playing until a certain number of points have been reached is my best idea thus far, but it isn't great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
Seed the technology bag with the exact number of tiles required for the game. Then when the bag is empty you have played 9 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count techs out. You can figure what turn from this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Put a purple cube on the tech bag. The purple color will remind you to move the purple Turn Marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL!!

We have the same silly problem.. great suggestions, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use pass order = turn order. I use 2 sets of numbers 1 - X where X is the number of players. On the black set I have 3 5 7 9 and on the white set I have 2 4 6 8. If we are using white numbers we are on an even turn. Pretty easy to figure out from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbered cards Daniel mentions work very well at managing the number of turns. I highly recommend them for every Eclipse game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I find myself counting techs a lot to figure out what round it is. Limited tech bag is interesting but it would seem too problematic to accidentally see the techs beforehand, or when you draw too many "oops I drew an extra, have to draw again, at least we know 3 quantum grid are definitely showing up in this game."

Other suggestions are interesting but counting techs still seems like the only foolproof way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the better question should be: how to remove stupidity? count techs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more a minor variant but very useful. We seed one tech on each future turn number at the start of the game. It gives all players a little advanced knowledge which does mean that it is far easier to remember "I was waiting for that piece to show up". The total tech per turn remains the same, you just know one of each turn's tech in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make an end-of-turn check list track, like the scoring round track in El Grande.

Make a track with one space for each step in the upkeep and clean up phases, and move a token down the track at the end of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
It's more a minor variant but very useful. We seed one tech on each future turn number at the start of the game. It gives all players a little advanced knowledge which does mean that it is far easier to remember "I was waiting for that piece to show up". The total tech per turn remains the same, you just know one of each turn's tech in advance.

A similar variant would be to reveal all the techs for each turn one turn in advance. So when you add the techs for turn 4, you also draw the techs for turn 5 and place them off to the side. If you place one of those techs on the next space on the track, it serves as a reminder to advance the turn marker. This gives players better advance knowledge of the immediate future without revealing techs all the way to the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
A good trick is to put some object (like, say, a golf ball) in the tech bag to remind the player who draws new techs to move the turn marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigma Nil
Norway
flag msg tools
tranenturm wrote:

This is great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmanil wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

This is great. Thanks!

Agree - it's a nice mechanic in that it makes advancing the turn track integral to the tech draw but also adds a nice additional strategic element to passing first (without making all tiles known).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do all of the tech draws at the beginning of the game and stack them up face down on the turn markers. That wouldn't change the game at all and it ought to solve the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
You could do all of the tech draws at the beginning of the game and stack them up face down on the turn markers. That wouldn't change the game at all and it ought to solve the problem.

They are double-sided, there is no face-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat Gordon

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you use or could you use a set of playing cards, spades and hearts?

dlhammond wrote:
I use pass order = turn order. I use 2 sets of numbers 1 - X where X is the number of players. On the black set I have 3 5 7 9 and on the white set I have 2 4 6 8. If we are using white numbers we are on an even turn. Pretty easy to figure out from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh. I knew that. Well, you could put something on top of the stack so you couldn't see them. But, it's probably hard to do all of that without seeing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
We did not have that problem, but I read this thread and got 9 glass beads (blood tokens from VTES) we used to cover the turn spots and just made sure that they got placed when it was moved. I think that instead of just shuffling one part across the track, filling up each spot helped as a memory cue. You could put them in with the techs if you wanted and just draw one each turn in addition to the tech tiles.

Just my thoughts on my one complete game (we played with five or six guys, I think five). We would play this more, a lot more, but it takes up more table space than we have at two of our hosts have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like I would have this problem also. In my first play last night, we almost forgot to move the marker a turn or two. Placing something on top of the bag is the perfect solution, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I stole an idea from Lords of Waterdeep. During setup, on each space on the round track, I places a stack of 4 technologies. (2 player game) During Upkeep phase of each round, just grab the stack of technologies and distribute. The number of rounds that are left are the number of stacks left. Very elegant system, and I liked it a lot. Never forgot (or more like didn't need) to move the round token.

Unfortunately, the tech tiles are double sided and you could see at least one of the future technologies. I may take contact paper and cover up one side because I don't see a reason for them to be double sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I played, I simply put the bag next to the supply board. When reaching for the bag, the sight of the supply board reminded me to move the marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.