Subject: Other Factions to get with Master Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting into this game and I plan to buy the Master Set and a couple extra factions to complement. What factions would be good choices to go with the Master Set?

I'm thinking strictly single faction packs, please, for now I'm not interested in Reinforcements or those Faction vs Faction boxes. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
The Jungle Elves and Cloaks are pretty good. Either or both of these factions would be great additions to what's included with the Master Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In seriousness, I love the Cloaks, so they would be my top recommendation. Jungle Elves are probably good too. Id rate fallen kingdom and vanguard slightly lower. I cant comment on filth or mercenaries yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred order would be:

Fallen Kingdoms - zombie resurrection/undead summoning
Cloaks - sneaky
Vanguard - healing/tank
Jungle Elves - creatures, range

I dunno about Mercs or Filth yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all factions evenly balanced? I imagine there can be issues with there being so many of them. I wouldn't like an overpowered or underpowered faction. By the way, knowing me and my gf, we'll probably favor more complex factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Villwock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
In general the factions are balanced - that is, no one faction will win all of the time - but there are certainly matchups that favor one faction over another. Even then, there's always a way around it.

If I just had to name one faction, I'd recommend picking up the Mercenaries. They're interesting on their own, plus you can swap them in for units in other factions.

As for the others, the Jungle Elves have some neat tricks up their sleeves (although many of them are actually shirtless), so they're good for keeping your opponent guessing. They've become a favorite of mine (especially after getting their reinforcements (Gorillas are awesome)).

I don't know if I'd call the Cloaks complex, but they certainly can be tough to figure out.

A lot of people write of the Vanguard as weak, but after you get in a few plays they become pretty interesting.

The Fallen Kingdom don't really suit my style of gameplay, and I haven't taken the Filth for a spin yet, so I can't comment on those.

Honestly, if you enjoy the game and will play regularly and/or with different people, you'll probably end up with all of the factions eventually, and I don't think you'll regret a single purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
I've played with all but the Mercs and Filth, and they all seem well-balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want complex? Go with the Filth. Supposing you can stomach the art gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Fallen Kingdom and Vanguards first -- from what I could tell those seemed to complete the archetypal diversity (no game like this is complete without some Undead guys and some holy healer guys for contrast)

Happy with that decision -- Fallen Kingdom is really a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best advice I've seen is to go and look through the decks here:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_faction_cl.html

And then pick the couple that you think look the coolest. At the end of the day, they all play differently and they all are relatively well balanced (between 42.8% and 53.6% for W%s with anything resembling a normal sample), so flavor is really what you're deciding on here.

If you want huge, monstrous Champions that rush across the board, get some Jungle Elves. If you want a tricky, kick-you-in-the-shin faction, you want Cloaks. If you want healing and board presence and the long game, go for Vangaurd. If you want massive Unit recursion, go with the Fallen Kingdom. If you want a "toolbox" deck, try out the Filth and their mutations. If you want a "combo" event-powered deck, take a look at the Mercenaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Filth, you play with a different mentality altogether. A lot of new strategies open up, but you also get a huge set of weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.