Subject: Nobody uses Zuntzu??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Javier
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mb
I´ve been looking this forum (not deeply) but there is nothing about zuntzu but there´s a lot about Vassal.

What is it for?
Is it because has no programable rules?

I´m running it in my Acer Iconia W500 and works great in a 10.1" touchscreen.

The problem is that you can´t do double-right-click to turn the items upside down, and there is no shortkeys or UI button to do it.

Is it possible that there is enough people interested in Zuntzu so that we could create some kind of kickstarter for a programmer create a floating panel for Zuntzu1?
Now it is being developed Zuntzu 2 and the programmer no longer update or include new features, as he said to me, for Zuntzu 1.

I think that if there is many people interested so that we can pay a programmer to do the patch and pay the owner of zuntzu for a license to open the code and add the mod, maybe It could be done because there wouldn´t be loss of time for the author keeps developing Zuntzu 2.

What do you think?
Are there similar platforms with so many games?
(apart of Vassal and Cyberbard)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2019 Jun 12th - 16th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 12 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
ZunTzu's lack of popularity is also surprising to me. Our group has played a weekly game for the past few years using that platform, and we love it. (Currently ZunTzu supports just under half of the BGG Top 100, and we have made our way through a good chunk of those gameboxes.)

It is a Windows only platform, and admittedly this is a disadvantage, but in return for platform dependence you get DirectX panning and zooming, shared mice and live viewing of dragging, dropping and flipping by all players. This is as close as you will get to a true virtual table top that I have seen, especially one that supports so many high quality games.

But back to your original question, I think you should just wait for ZunTzu 2.0. Last I heard it was only a few months away from release. Any forks or patches to 1.0 will just slow down development on the new version, which I'm sure will address your issue and so many others (like multi-platform support!) Instead, why not donate to ZunTzu via Paypal? I'm sure Jerome would appreciate the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Vassal, ZunTzu, and Cyberboard there is Battlegrounds. I have never used it but to me it looks more suited/supportive of RPGs than board games (or maybe intended for RPG-style board games?). Oh, there's also any "AnyGame" I believe it's called, but I think it's only available for phones and last I check it had nowhere near the games Vassal or ZunTzu have.

I've only used ZunTzu and Vassal. ZunTzu seems to have better availability for euros, so it's my go-to "no rules enforcing" program. It's quite nice, polished, and mostly works.. crashes more often than I'd expect a commercial program to, but that's OK because I paid nothing for it. But man, it is annoying to have to reboot into Windows just to use it. But also: I don't get to use it much, because most board gamers I know who are willing to play euros online prefer to use a rules enforcing site (BSW, BGA), even with friends over Mumble/Teamspeak/Ventrilo since the learning curve is much smaller and crashes less.

ZunTzu 2.0 purports to be the solution (cross platform and not using Java). I was am looking forward to it. I think the real problem is that in the past 6 months the developer seems to either be too busy, lost interest, or is just taking long because of the difficulty of the task. In August he said he'd be announce something at the end of 2011. That rolled around, and a number of people asked what the deal was, and there was no follow up.

I just checked the thread and it looks like there is still hope. Someone contacted him through BGG and reports that it's still being worked on:

http://www.zuntzu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1715

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:
Any forks or patches to 1.0 will just slow down development on the new version, which I'm sure will address your issue and so many others (like multi-platform support!) Instead, why not donate to ZunTzu via Paypal? I'm sure Jerome would appreciate the support.

I'd totally do this if I could be assured that ZunTzu 2.0 would be released. Someone suggested starting a Kickstarter project on the ZunTzu forum thread I thought "what a great idea, I'd totally pay money to encourage the effort" but then no response from the developer. That was my biggest concern; the fact that the developer is not giving the community a status update was leading me to believe that ZunTzu 2.0 wasn't going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2019 Jun 12th - 16th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 12 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
That was my biggest concern; the fact that the developer is not giving the community a status update was leading me to believe that ZunTzu 2.0 wasn't going to happen.

I'll have to agree with you there. Some sort of progress report, or beta test program would be nice, especially if it really is close to being finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
Apart from Vassal, ZunTzu, and Cyberboard there is Battlegrounds. I have never used it but to me it looks more suited/supportive of RPGs than board games (or maybe intended for RPG-style board games?).

You might be confused by the fact that there are two separate programs.

"Battlegrounds: RPG Edition" (aka BRPG) is intended primarily for RPGs, but can also be used for boardgaming.

"Battlegrounds Gaming Engine (aka BGE), is specifically intended for boardgaming. It is also less expensive than BRPG.

Both programs are cross-platform. They run on Windows and Mac OS X (except Lion).

Here is a list of games currently available for Battlegrounds, but the program's real strength is the ease with which you can create your own game conversions (no scripting or XML editing required).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
But man, it is annoying to have to reboot into Windows just to use it.

Have you tried (or even considered) using a virtual Windows machine on whatever platform you are working with? These platforms shouldn't be too greedy on the computer resources and the annoyance of the reboot will be gone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliusan wrote:
Have you tried (or even considered) using a virtual Windows machine on whatever platform you are working with? These platforms shouldn't be too greedy on the computer resources and the annoyance of the reboot will be gone

Considered it, yes.. but aside from the fact that virtual machine comes with its own problems (like speed): AKAIK ZunTzu uses 3D acceleration from your graphics hardware so sending that through emulation might be painful. Given how often it crashes already I'd rather reboot than use a virtual machine.

But.. more importantly, this is 2012. If your free software application is not cross-platform it's a bit hard for me to take it very seriously. There are enough free/open tools now that nobody really has a good excuse anymore. This is why I think ZunTzu 2.0 is a step in the right direction and quite an awesome project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It uses DirectX, which means it will be nearly impossible to run on my Linux machine even with emulation. Vassal being a cross-platform Java program is 99% of the reason I use it over the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
It uses DirectX, which means it will be nearly impossible to run on my Linux machine even with emulation. Vassal being a cross-platform Java program is 99% of the reason I use it over the others.

sharky6000 wrote:
But.. more importantly, this is 2012. If your free software application is not cross-platform it's a bit hard for me to take it very seriously. There are enough free/open tools now that nobody really has a good excuse anymore.

This is why I also don't use Zuntzu. Even I, as a hobbyist programmer, can create apps that are cross-platform. Even simple IDEs like Gideros support one code base, cross-platform exe/apps. Love to see Zuntzu 2 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.