United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Operation Hintre

Summary

This is a non-Werewolf game centered on 4 teams, recruitment, and elimination of the other teams' main Leader role. There is only one phase per cycle (no day and night). Prior to game start Leaders will be able to customize which roles will be "out there" for them to recruit. The goal for the teams of the non-leaders is to hint well and accordingly (or not at all?) to best win the game.

Origins

So been sorta planning to run a hinting non-WW game sometime, inspired by the Oh Hell No! 2 pregame fun. See Avin's suggestion here:

Avin wrote:
Wow. I found this a lot harder than a werewolf game. Something about not having the same context, just like jamgar mentioned on D1. It looks like pretty much all my reads were off.

[...]

I also anti-guessed Valkerie for Urza on D1 and when they both were eliminated I thought I was correct

I would definitely play in something like this again though.

Please see this thread for more: Oh Hell No! 2 Pregame Fun

Essential Information

Start Date: May 14
Deadline: 4 PM
Lynch Tiebreak: Not Applicable
Role Reveal: Full (Team and Role)
Victory: Elimination of all other Team Leaders (last standing)

Course of Play

The main course of the game will consist of public forum communication. Non-leader roles will attempt to get recruited using the public forum, but members of the other team will attempt to detect who else is being hinted to (another team's leader). Killing other team leaders is the way to obtain victory. There are 4 total teams. Elimination of the 3 other teams are how to win.

The game will begin with leaders being assigned. Leaders will then decide the makeup of their team (roles, not players). Roles will then be assigned and each non-leader role will be given their role name and leader name. Only certain roles will know their team name at game start.

Each day by the deadline all actions will be due. There is no limit to the amount of actions each player can due per turn. There are no common actions. Each role has specific actions that they can do.

At the deadline the game will go through a short no posting phase and the actions will be resolved. Then the game will continue.

Leader Death and Team Elimination

When a Leader dies then the rest of the team will automatically be eliminated as well. That team and all its players are out of the game.

In addition, when a team has no more possible ways to kill, then they (leader and rest of team) will be eliminated. If a team has ways to kill, but they are simply unrecruited, then that team will continue, granted they also have recruit paths available.

Also, if a team has no ways to kill but as a Demolitions Expert recruited or unrecruited, they carry on. This counts as a "way to kill."

If Leaders die simultaneously, then the tiebreaker is +2 per recruited team member (including Infiltrators of another team) and +1 per non-recruited. If it's still tied, then the teams armwrestle.

Leader Role

The Leader role, beyond having the importance of survival to prevent their team from losing have the following abilities: 1 use Kill, 1 use Protect, Daily Recruitment (recurring use). The Leader learns of every successful recruitment by their team.

Non-Leader Roles

At game start after Leader roles are selected, the Leader will choose 5 other roles to be on their team. They may choose from the following, but may not have more than 2 of the same role on their team.

All Roles (excluding the Infiltrator) can only use their abilities once successfully recruited.

Recruiter: 1 use Kill, 1 use Protect, Daily Recruitment

Descendant: 1 use Kill, 1 use Protect, becomes new Leader if Leader elimination, can never recruit. If the Descendant becomes the new Leader all other players of the team will be informed. If there are multiple recruited Descendants, the first one recruited becomes the new Leader.

Assassin: Recurring Kill.

Bodyguard: The Leader cannot be killed while the Bodyguard is still alive. If more than one faction targets the Leader the protection fails (unless there are multiple Bodyguards active to match the number of attacks). The Bodyguard cannot protect self or any other player.

Infiltrator: This role will refuse recruitment of their own team, but can be recruited by other teams. Once recruited it assumes a Lover-type role with the role that recruited it. It remains as such and cannot be re-recruited. The team that recruited the Infiltrator can eliminate the effects of this role if they eliminate the Infiltrator themselves before or in the same phase as any other team. If recruited by multiple teams during the night, then will not be recruited. The lover ability of the infiltrator only occurs when it is killed, not eliminated via Leader death.

Demolitions Expert: If targeted for a kill this role will kill the attacker. One time use. The role survives, but once utilized the power is gone and this role is basically vanilla.

Spy: Once recruited this role gets a daily seer view of player and role. They learn of player and role that the players started the game as. The Spy does not learn recruitment status.

Communications Expert
: Once recruited this role gets unlimited chat with its Leader. Daily it can open a chat with one other player for a full phase. Also, once per game it can choose a player and learn the role distribution of the team that the player is on, but not the team name (even if its the Comm Expert's own team).

Recruitment

When a recruitment is successful the Leader or Recruiter will only discover that the recruitment was successful. That player will not learn the role of the player recruited (except for the case of the Communications Expert). The recruited player will discover that they were successfully recruited. Recruited roles will not learn of other successful recruits. The Descendant will learn of all successful recruits once that role assumes the Leader role if the Leader dies. Leaders learn of every recruitment of their team, even those done by a Recruiter. Recruiters only learn of their own successes. Recruiting is not mandatory.

Kills

Any one time kills used against a member of the same team will fail and be wasted (the one time use will be gone). Assassin kills against the same team will fail as well, except in the case of another Assassin or a Bodyguard.

Order of Actions

1. Non-kill, non-recruit actions
2. Kill actions
3. Recruit actions

Role Reveal

In phase resolution all deaths will be announced, including team name and role name. How each player died will not be revealed. When a team is eliminated it will be announced and a crazy youtube video will be posted glorifying their defeat.

Team Names

The Jams
The Steamrollers
Team Rocket
Team Snickerdoodle

Only Leaders, Descendants and Spies are aware of their team name at game start. Others will discover their team name upon successful recruitment. Infiltrators will learn the team name of the side they were recruited by when recruited by another team.

Also, Please Observe Standard Werewolf Etiquette

Any hints are free game. Only codes with keys that aren't available to other players are forbidden. Please observe the spirit of the game when it comes to this. Use your best judgment. I'll chime in if necessary and where needed.

If you have a concern or complaint please let me know privately first. If I have a concern that involves a player specifically I will inform them privately first before passing any judgment unless I have to do so publicly ASAP for the good of the game and the players at large.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Operation Hintre: Reconnaissance
Player List According to Cassandra:
Avin
clockworkd
copyWright
davidenkinderen
Dekal
Dispaminite
eddie_drood
jageroxorz
jamgar
kuchick
mmesich
NickAnner
PeteVasi
SaiSaysPlayGo
Sandlewood99
Sigafoos
StatSig
Tarrant
TheSparky
Tiny3Ears
TommyDanger
Urza47
Violintides
ZenMonkey11

24 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/7900...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure what's going on here but assuming I'm able to play (ie no required posting at night) you've piqued my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We played a "mini-game" in the pregame for Oh Hell No! 2. Not official, just for fun. Now, it's legal.

See this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743092/oh-hell-no-2-rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Did someone call me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
I have been waiting for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sigafoos wrote:
I'm not really sure what's going on here but assuming I'm able to play (ie no required posting at night) you've piqued my interest.

Real night or night phase?

I don't think the game will have a night phase - just a short no posting resolution phase that will likely be early to mid afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
We played a "mini-game" in the pregame for Oh Hell No! 2. Not official, just for fun. Now, it's legal.

See this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743092/oh-hell-no-2-rule...

I'm definitely in then! This sounds like fun. And also way over my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe I'll just post the roleset a bit later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Avin's signed up. I better sign up so I can cause the game to implode, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 33 37 41 43 47 53 59

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PeteVasi wrote:
2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 dbmurph 23 29 31 33 37 41 43 47 53 59

fyp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone sign me up, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I updated with a little more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rules are probably mostly complete (barring suggestions or holes).

Who wants to hint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Operation Hintre: Rules are a Go
I guess everyone is afraid of Inspector Hintre and his lackey Sigafoofs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
If the Leader dies and a Descendant replaces him, are the other members of the team informed of the new Leader?

If an Infiltrator is recruited by multiple teams on the same night, what happens?

If an Infiltrator is recruited by Team A on D1 and then recruited by Team B on D2, what happens?

Does the Demolitions Expert kill recruitment attempts made by other teams?

Does the Demolitions Expert kill seer views from other teams? His own team?

Does the Demolitions Expert die if he is attacked or does his power protect him from the first attack? (Is he a tough brutal or just brutal?)

Does the Spy get team results or only roles?
- Followup 1: If a Spy views an Infiltrator who has not yet been recruited, what result does he get?
- Followup 2: If a Spy views an Infiltrator who has been recruited, what result does he get?

The Rules wrote:
The Descendant will learn of all successful recruits once that role assumes the Leader role if the Leader dies.

Does this mean that the original Leader is informed of any successful recruiting done by his team or only recruiting that he does?

The Rules wrote:
When a team is eliminated, this will not be announced. The player will simply be announced as having died when this occurs.

This seems unecessary. There are 24 players, 4 teams, 6 players per team (unless there is an uneven team distribution at the start of the game). Simple math will indicate when a team has been eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheSparky wrote:
If the Leader dies and a Descendant replaces him, are the other members of the team informed of the new Leader?

Good question. Yes.

Quote:
If an Infiltrator is recruited by multiple teams on the same night, what happens?

Another good one. I would have to say nothing.

Quote:
If an Infiltrator is recruited by Team A on D1 and then recruited by Team B on D2, what happens?

The Infiltrator will remain "on" Team A. Whoever recruited the Infiltrator from Team A will die if the Infiltrator dies. Team B will have no connection with the Infiltrator.

Quote:
Does the Demolitions Expert kill recruitment attempts made by other teams?

Does the Demolitions Expert kill seer views from other teams? His own team?

No, just kills. From the other teams since one time kills used on friendly fail and are wasted. And Assassins can only friendly kill Assassins and Bodyguards.

Quote:
Does the Demolitions Expert die if he is attacked or does his power protect him from the first attack? (Is he a tough brutal or just brutal?)

Tough Brutal. The demolitions expert survives the attack. Any subsequent attacks, the role would die without any power used.

Quote:
Does the Spy get team results or only roles?
- Followup 1: If a Spy views an Infiltrator who has not yet been recruited, what result does he get?
- Followup 2: If a Spy views an Infiltrator who has been recruited, what result does he get?

The Spy gets the team and role that the player started the game with.

Quote:
Does this mean that the original Leader is informed of any successful recruiting done by his team or only recruiting that he does?

Good question. I would say only the ones that the Leader succeeds on. The Descendant learns of successful recruits done by the Leader if the Leader dies.
Quote:

The Rules wrote:
When a team is eliminated, this will not be announced. The player will simply be announced as having died when this occurs.

This seems unecessary. There are 24 players, 4 teams, 6 players per team (unless there is an uneven team distribution at the start of the game). Simple math will indicate when a team has been eliminated.

I could be being dense but the death distribution won't be necessarily even as the game progresses. Especially when numbers are fewer it may be harder to tell (fewer eliminations when the team goes down).

Either way, if it's deducted easily, then I don't see there being a big problem with my original vision of the game. Hiding a team's elimination isn't vital to me. I just didn't want to go out of the way to announce it.

---

Thank you for the questions Sparks.

Any concerns on how it might play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Either way, if it's deducted easily, then I don't see there being a big problem with my original vision of the game. Hiding a team's elimination isn't vital to me. I just didn't want to go out of the way to announce it.

Ah, sorry, I didn't phrase it well.

From what I've read in the rules, this is how I expect deaths to be revealed:

The Mod wrote:
[killed Avin]
He was a Spy on Team Hinter

If this is the case, then everyone will know that once 6 Hinters have died, that team has been eliminated. It doesn't matter if they all die at once or over a long period of time. We know that there are only 6 players per team, so once the 6th has dropped, they're out.

Quote:

I imagine it will play out in a similar fashion to Paranoia games. Infiltrators are going to have an awkward time fitting in once the numbers don't match up correctly, but without private channels to discuss that in (Comms Expert aside), it will be harder to suss out who the imposter is.

There's a bit of a rich get richer mechanism in that teams who hook up first will have an advantage over teams who hook up later, but again, without private channels, it will be more difficult to coordinate.

I don't see any big issues at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If a team is reduced to just the Leader, and that Leader hasn't used his 1 shot kill, I assume he remains in the game?

Does a Descendant inherit any one shots that the Leader didn't use? nvm, they start with those powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have any questions right now, but I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of them in modchat once I have to actually do things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheSparky wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Ah, sorry, I didn't phrase it well.

From what I've read in the rules, this is how I expect deaths to be revealed:

The Mod wrote:
[killed Avin]
He was a Spy on Team Hinter

If this is the case, then everyone will know that once 6 Hinters have died, that team has been eliminated. It doesn't matter if they all die at once or over a long period of time. We know that there are only 6 players per team, so once the 6th has dropped, they're out.

Oh, right. Told you I was probably being dense.

Quote:
Quote:

I imagine it will play out in a similar fashion to Paranoia games. Infiltrators are going to have an awkward time fitting in once the numbers don't match up correctly, but without private channels to discuss that in (Comms Expert aside), it will be harder to suss out who the imposter is.

When I thought of similar games I did think of the Paranoia games.
It's possible some teams won't even have infiltrators. Even so, the role doesn't have a long term outlook - just another avenue of killing the enemy.

Quote:
There's a bit of a rich get richer mechanism in that teams who hook up first will have an advantage over teams who hook up later, but again, without private channels, it will be more difficult to coordinate.

This is true. People better hint effectively, early.
And then watching the public coordination will be fun if it occurs.

Quote:
I don't see any big issues at this time.

With emphasis on "at this time".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sigafoos wrote:
I don't really have any questions right now, but I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of them in modchat once I have to actually do things.

Makes sense.

Being a non-Werewolf game it isn't intuitive relative to what we're used to. But it's fairly simple so I don't expect you to have many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Does the Infiltrator learn who recruited him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [40] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.