Subject: 'Trashers looking to sophisticate themselves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I have an awesome group of gamer friends, and we love to beat, bash, bludgeon and bomb ourselves on a near weekly basis. But we're sort of in need for a new game, and quite frankly I'm anxious to blow some money on one. Now, I definitely think we enjoy the Ameritrash games more. We like to play for the strategy, the interaction and the conflict.

We almost always have a group of 4, but sometimes it is 3 and there's also the possibility for 5.

Here is what we've been playing over the past 6 months:
Blood Bowl Team Manager (our favorite game)
Dust
Arkham Horror (we rarely win)
Gears Of War
King Of Tokyo
Battlelore (fun game, but really only for 2 players)
Rune Wars (still learning, but heavy and fun)

I'd like to try a Euro game and broaden our horizons a bit. I'm not sure how much the other guys will be on board, but at the same time they'll try anything at least once. The theme isn't as important as is fun play mechanics, and it would also help if there was some player interaction, as opposed to playing a 4-player solitaire game.

I've had this long-time desire to play Agricola, so that one is at the top of my list. Despite being about farming, I think the mechanics look really fun, and the rules seem to be variable to allow for more depth, interaction, etc... But I've also been looking at Chaos In The Old World (Euro game with 'trasher theme), Lords Of Waterdeep, Ninjato, Dungeon Lords, Dominion, and Vinhos (we like wine).

4-player is necessary
Interaction/conflict is a plus
2+ hours preferable
Medium weight

Any other thoughts or opinions on what I have listed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World for 4 players, and with the Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion for 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Shogun fits your description quite well.

It is engaging, holds its ranking very well on BGG (released in 2006). Has some elements of conflict, has an awesome cube tower, and interesting simultaneous action selection.

Everyone I have introduced the game to has enjoyed it. Have fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is great euro/at hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberté (on sale at Tanga), Struggle of Empires or Age of Reason should be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree with Dominant Species, Eclipse, and Shogun which is about to be reprinted as Wallenstien. You may also want to look at Merchants and Marauders (4 players) or one of the versions of Imperial.

You mention Agricola but not wanting multiplayer solitaire. Based on that you may really want to reconsider this. You also mention Dungeon Lords which is 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
godunow wrote:
Eclipse is great euro/at hybrid.

Wow. That game looks insane.

EDIT: Just preordered the 2nd printing. Thanks for this recommendation. The review completely sold me on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
I think Shogun fits your description quite well.

It is engaging, holds its ranking very well on BGG (released in 2006). Has some elements of conflict, has an awesome cube tower, and interesting simultaneous action selection.

Everyone I have introduced the game to has enjoyed it. Have fun...

Yes.

Also available as Wallenstein (second edition)

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Cyclades or Cave Troll ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep! Goes to 5 players and scales beautifully for any number. A good amount of interaction and conflict thanks to the addition of Intrigue cards along with classic worker placement blocks. It plays in an hour, not two, if that's important. This game is not just the hotness, it's a spectacular bridge between Ameritrash and Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy interaction medium weight Euro that plays best with 3 or 4:

Caylus or Tigris & Euphrates

Caylus is a bit on the heavier side, but it's not really THAT heavy.

The Manhattan Project is also a fine choice in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande - Classic Euro involving area comtrol, simultaneous influence deployment, auctioning for turn order, and a heavy dose of tense conflict.

No dice.

Not recommended for three players, but excellent with 4 or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominant Species - Heavy conflict/interaction worker placement.
Cyclades or A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) - Hybrids with direct conflict and bidding/strategy components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, a lot of the games you have are games that I started with.

I have bought two Euro-style games that my family and I LOVE....

Ninjato...Euro-style mechanics oozing with old Far East theme. Fantastic game. Drakkenstrike has a Youtube video on it... 2-4 players...scales well.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...Discovery theme, resources, battles...and tons of miniatures! Excellent...multiple paths to victory, different just about every time. 2-5 players...scales great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tigris & Euphrates

best game ever for me.
only one weakness for you - no 5 player options available. But you could make your own set of leaders and see how it goes gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades was the very first game the crossed my mind. It has a lot of interaction, twists and will bring enough table trash talk. Really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire. It actually has two games in it. The first is a classic Ameritrash game, from the same series as Axis & Allies and Fortress America. The second is a hybrid Euro based on Struggle of Empires.

It has a giant board, tons of plastic pieces, two games in one, and is usually $30 or less online. Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
trashers looking to sophisticate themselves

Shame on you
I second Cyclades though. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Agricola looks vaguely interesting, let me suggest Age of Empires III. It's another worker placement game, but instead of gathering little wooden resource bits with your larger worker bits to farm, you have a bunch of awesome plastic figs that you place to colonize the new world. Also, you can buy soldiers that can shoot your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
DO NOT start with Agricola, it might just turn off your friends from Euro games. Start with something lighter.

I suggest Ninjato as a light-ish Euro with some great theme. If your friends like card games and "combo's", Dominion should be very good, I like it a lot, personally. There's not much interaction in those games, but that's what Euro games lack, you can't bash your friend with an Orcish Axe. =(

If you want a "hybrid" game as they call it, a game that hides behind the Ameritrash theme, but some of the mechanics reflect Euro games, I would suggest Cyclades. Apperantly, Chaos in the Old World is a "hybrid", but I don't see it much, feels more trashy to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I've ordered Chaos In The Old World and preordered the 2nd printing of Eclipse - so I should be set for awhile. And now Cyclades is on the short-list for future games as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do look at interactive and confrontational types of euros:

Area control:

El Grande - the originator. A bit clunky to me, very very tactical, prone to AP.
Chaos in the Old World - El Grande for Ameritrashers - asymmetrical powers, more intutitve gameplay, shorter.
Small World - the simplest of the bunch, cute, however it's quite thinky (each decision has a lot of weight). It's good for what it is, but it's not a ride like CITOW or Cyclades

other recommendations in this field: Liberte

Civilisation hybrids.

Cyclades: you want this one. It's auction + dudes on a map and is really nicely tense once players recognize the signs that somebody is close to winning. It's relatively simple to teach as well.

Others I haven't played but usual recommendations in this field include: Wallenstein/Shogun, Eclipse

Other games worth checking: Game of thrones (3 hour diplomacy like game, not sure why they made the 2nd edition uglier), Tigris and Euphrates - as euroey as they come, and thinky, and counterintuive, but confrontational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alien Frontiers might fit all your criteria except for game length (it'll often end before 2 hours, especially with only 3 players)

Edited because BGG aparently doesn't like the 'less than' symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World and especially A Game of Thrones are my two picks for you.

Throwing this on your radar as well: It's only for two people, but if your favorite is Blood Bowl Team Manager, I think you'd really dig on Battle Line. Look past the clip-art presentation and get into the gameplay, which is like a mash-up of BB:TM and Caribbean stud poker. You can pick it up online for cheap.

Also, Cosmic Encounter. Dear Lord, Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.