Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Where to write to in Hollywood? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly don't have the address but could she start with George Lucas and James Cameron?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask her what movies she thinks are the worst offenders, and send letters to those companies.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
Ask her what movies she thinks are the worst offenders, and send letters to those companies.



Michael Bay
William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
9601 Wilshire Blvd.
3rd Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90210


18 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. No wrote:
Sadly don't have the address but could she start with George Lucas and James Cameron?


Don't they have a joint-website called RepeatPerfomances.com?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Any ideas where to start? I'd like to encourage her to write the letter.


Screen Actors Guild... American Film Institute... The Academy... MPAA

There's still people making original films. Among my favorites: Cory McAbee, Werner Herzog, Hal Hartley, Lars Von Trier and Guy Maddin are all making original cinema today.

This one looks like it will be great:

http://crazyandthief.com/
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem will be that the people whom she writes to will never understand the thoughtful prose of an 11 year old.

Those people never met a bad idea they didn't like.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
The problem will be that the people whom she writes to will never understand the thoughtful prose of an 11 year old.

Those people never met a bad idea they didn't like.


And my guess is that that 11 year-old has more original ideas than a room full of Hollywood screenwriters...

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
She could kickstart for a full page ad in Variety.
20 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
She could kickstart for a full page ad in Variety.


This is a great idea.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, remakes are usually like printing money. What incentive does Hollywood have to not do that?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
The thing is, remakes are usually like printing money. What incentive does Hollywood have to not do that?


Artistic integrity? (said sarcastically)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja To quote my screenwriting prof: "Yes Hollywood is desperate for new ideas. They're just terrified to try any." ninja
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Orph wrote:
The thing is, remakes are usually like printing money. What incentive does Hollywood have to not do that?


And to be clear, it isn't as if this habit of remaking or rebooting is anything new. The wiki listing the number of remakes is SO long that they had to split the page in two!

There are no new ideas. Only new ways of seeing old ones. The real problem with the current remakes is not that they are doing them, but they are doing them poorly. They are blatant grabs for money rather than interesting and notable explorations of old ideas.

Off the top of my head, there are some RECENT (last 10 years) movies that have been remade (or reboots of old ideas) that are not crap:

Oceans 11
True Grit
Dinner for Schmucks
Sherlock Holmes

and I am sure there are plenty more...

And the best way to tell Hollywood to knock it off is to vote with your dollar.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is kind of like writing to Santa Claus, then? Well, at least she'll be learning about how to draft a letter.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Hollywood
Planet Earth

That should get it there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
MScrivner wrote:
Orph wrote:
The thing is, remakes are usually like printing money. What incentive does Hollywood have to not do that?


And to be clear, it isn't as if this habit of remaking or rebooting is anything new. The wiki listing the number of remakes is SO long that they had to split the page in two!

There are no new ideas. Only new ways of seeing old ones. The real problem with the current remakes is not that they are doing them, but they are doing them poorly. They are blatant grabs for money rather than interesting and notable explorations of old ideas.

Off the top of my head, there are some RECENT (last 10 years) movies that have been remade (or reboots of old ideas) that are not crap:

Oceans 11
True Grit
Dinner for Schmucks
Sherlock Holmes

and I am sure there are plenty more...

And the best way to tell Hollywood to knock it off is to vote with your dollar.

Truly, there is no way to convince them to stop remaking things. But I don't WANT them to stop remaking everything! Every movie you mentioned above (except for Schmucks) was a FINE remake. But look at the time deltas between previous and most recent release:

Oceans 11 - 1960 to 2001 = 41 years
True Grit - 1969 to 2010 = 41 years
Dinner for Schmucks - 1998 - 2010 = 12 years (uh huh)
Sherlock Holmes - 1985 - 2009 = 19 years (this one is trickier, because it's a character more than a series of movies; I choose Young Sherlock Holmes as the previous movie)

I don't mind a remake of a movie more than about 25 or so years old, and I certainly understand why they do it. But turning a TV series into movies is non-sense, and remaking movies that came out a few years ago (I'm looking at you Amazing Spider-Man) is total bs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Orph wrote:
So, this is kind of like writing to Santa Claus, then? Well, at least she'll be learning about how to draft a letter.


I don't see any harm in letting her pursue this. Maybe we'll try for the ad in Variety?

There is NO harm at all, and it is quite encouraging if you think about it. Even if her letter goes nowhere and has no impact at all, there is at least one new person in the world who won't pay Hollywood for schlock, and that is an attitude I'd like to encourage. Maybe she'll become an original filmmaker someday, and THIS will be the start... who knows.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
...turning a TV series into movies is non-sense...


Really?!

Star Trek (particularly the new one was awesome)
Fire Fly Serenity (was very enjoyable)

Also, an Arrested Development movie is supposedly in the works and I am really pumped about that.

Any remake/reboot can be a good or bad idea and may work out really well or really poorly. My Favorites are Star Trek, 007, Batman, and True Grit (I like others but they aren't coming to mind).

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's awesome and I would love to see the letter once she does it! And I'd happily kickstart a couple bucks too!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Redward wrote:
Landstander wrote:
...turning a TV series into movies is non-sense...


Really?!

Star Trek (particularly the new one was awesome)
Fire Fly Serenity (was very enjoyable)

Also, an Arrested Development movie is supposedly in the works and I am really pumped about that.

Any remake/reboot can be a good or bad idea and may work out really well or really poorly. My Favorites are Star Trek, 007, Batman, and True Grit (I like others but they aren't coming to mind).


I stand by my statement. Star Trek was okay, but there were plenty of phoned-in movies in the series. Serenity was really part of the TV series, essentially, and I totally didn't give a damn about it either way - BUT it wasn't a bad movie. Don't give a shit about Arrested Development, but from what I understand, that is ALSO being made because the series ended abruptly. Batman is a good example, actually, of a series of movies that was done "early" according to my formula, that turned out well. If given to a competent passionate director, anything could be remade/rebooted well. But that's not Hollywood's goal, as you know.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
Redward wrote:
Landstander wrote:
...turning a TV series into movies is non-sense...


Really?!

Star Trek (particularly the new one was awesome)
Fire Fly Serenity (was very enjoyable)

Also, an Arrested Development movie is supposedly in the works and I am really pumped about that.

Any remake/reboot can be a good or bad idea and may work out really well or really poorly. My Favorites are Star Trek, 007, Batman, and True Grit (I like others but they aren't coming to mind).


I stand by my statement. Star Trek was okay, but there were plenty of phoned-in movies in the series. Serenity was really part of the TV series, essentially, and I totally didn't give a damn about it either way - BUT it wasn't a bad movie. Don't give a shit about Arrested Development, but from what I understand, that is ALSO being made because the series ended abruptly. Batman is a good example, actually, of a series of movies that was done "early" according to my formula, that turned out well. If given to a competent passionate director, anything could be remade/rebooted well. But that's not Hollywood's goal, as you know.


Well, I think Star Trek was more than okay but your right in general Hollywood does't much care for my opinion...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the purpose here? so its goes viral and you make a million internet bucks?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For more potential recipients consult The Nostalgia Critic...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
riddlen wrote:
what is the purpose here? so its goes viral and you make a million internet bucks?

I think the purpose is to give her daughter an interesting project.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember to start it "Darling fascist bully-boy."

(I'm guessing that only the Wileses are going to appreciate that joke.)
7 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.