United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several games of this and a couple have fallen flat. I realized that I had adapted the rules a bit on the fly to work with the group. The last game I played fell flat, and we followed the rules as written.

Here's what I played with when it was fun:

Zombies!!! Widescreen edition with Zombies 3.5 expanded cards.

Took the town pieces and shuffled them. Shoved the helicopter somewhere in the middle.

Anyone can play any number of cards a turn.

Compared with the full rules, the shortened game was good. The ability to just play cards creates more screw thy neighbor sort of fun. Reduce number of zombies to win game by half as well to 13.

With this in mind I think some variant rewrite of this game would improve it. First of all, making it more likely to get items is desirable. More card flow improved the game. Most people want to move multiple zombies onto a square I've noticed as well. So I propose the following variant rules for discussion:

(1) Use a crafted half deck of tiles. I.e., match the buildings in the half deck to the available items in the card deck. This increase the chances of getting an item, and reduces dead cards from shortening the game.
(2) Increase card flow to having folks have 4 cards a turn. (or 5 or 6?)
(3) Allow zombies to occupy the same square, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/62974/zombies-deadly-h...
(4) Reduce number of zombies to win to 13.
(5) Play cards you have with no limit in a turn.

I'm interested in thoughts about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kris kline

Santa Barbara
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:

o I propose the following variant rules for discussion:

(1) Use a crafted half deck of tiles. I.e., match the buildings in the half deck to the available items in the card deck. This increase the chances of getting an item, and reduces dead cards from shortening the game.
(2) Increase card flow to having folks have 4 cards a turn. (or 5 or 6?)
(3) Allow zombies to occupy the same square, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/62974/zombies-deadly-h...
(4) Reduce number of zombies to win to 13.
(5) Play cards you have with no limit in a turn.

I'm interested in thoughts about this.

I think making the tiles deck smaller is always a good idea with the game. Including all the stores where items are found and dropping some of the tiles that have nothing extra.

I put a rule in the file section also allowing you to find items in more than one place. Forget what goes where, but essentially I allow folks to find Ax in Firestation and Hardware store (or whatever my file says), so the items get used more often. In the standard game rarely did we find folks were able to get the item they wanted since they were on the other side of the map.

Reducing number of zombies I think is good too, but perhaps 1/2 normal is too much? I actually like promoting a game where folks get to helicopter. Just killing a set number of zombies is an artificial win in my thematic mind. Afterall, if you are still in the city and zombies are still around, killing 13 means nothing! You are still zombie chow...

I think increasing card flow and spending them might be fun. Would have to try it!

I really think the makers should set out a new set of rules. The game components are great, the theme is great playability is good with quick rules. Boring with standard rules.

I also hated the fact the Aliens, in the aliens expansion functioned essentially the same as zombies. I gave them ranged attacks but easier to kill as I recall. Not sure I put a file up, but it is in the discussion here somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the game for a long time. But the most important rule we changed was to allow placing weapons face-down on the table as your 1 allowed action. These cards are not considered part of the game, for game effects. But if you enter the building required on the card, you can turn the card face-up, back in the game, for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The best time I've had is just allowing any card to be played at any time, with no limit on the number of cards played (although obviously people can't play more than 3 before their next turn). It made the game A LOT more fun/fast paced.

It's strange. The theme and text and box set it up to be an extreme and over the top game. That guy chainsawing Zombies on the box, for example. But the rules actually make it quite slow paced and tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.