Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering... this might be asking too much, but is there a way to "sub-domain" the Geeklists like the forums? It would just be nice to be able to see all the wargame related Geeklists in a quick glance, instead of having to sort through all the other stuff.

Not that I don't like the other stuff too sometimes... but more and more I am focusing on wargames, and it is nice that Forums, Images, and Reviews can be sorted by sub-domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the plebs a little and then they want more...

Seriously though, that's good idea also but I don't think the Geeklists are categorized via sub-types at the moment, but miracles may occur on this miraculous day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like cross-reference them within the Subdomain?

We definitely don't want to move them; they're the only positive PR we seem to have around here right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the point. Some geeklists legitimately include both wargames and non wargames anyway. Where would you put them?

It's ironic that we get a suggestion to segregate wargame geeklists at the same time that people are celebrating on another thread about the end of segregation for the wargame general forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We could create a GeekList of wargame GeekLists and link that one from the description page of the wargames subdomain.

Edit:
There are already various meta-lists.
Otherwise completely unrelated to this thread, but this one looks very nice: Solitaire / Solo / Single Player Games META-LIST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I don't see the point. Some geeklists legitimately include both wargames and non wargames anyway. Where would you put them?

It can be as simple as an extra attribute "belongs to subdomain/guild/whatever xyz" and then show up on the corresponding page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Sphere wrote:

It can be as simple as an extra attribute "belongs to subdomain/guild/whatever xyz" and then show up on the corresponding page.

That's exactly what I am talking about. Like how you can sort to show just the wargame forum posts on the main page... only for geeklists too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayne Starlancer wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
Sphere wrote:

That's exactly what I am talking about. Like how you can sort to show just the wargame forum posts on the main page... only for geeklists too.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayne Starlancer wrote:

So what about all the geeklists that have a mix of wargames and non-wargames. Are they in or out? Who decides? If you guys just want to make a list of lists, that isn't hard. But if you want to regularize a process that assumes each geeklist either is or is not a wargame list, you're going to be buried in edge cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
So what about all the geeklists that have a mix of wargames and non-wargames. Are they in or out? Who decides? If you guys just want to make a list of lists, that isn't hard. But if you want to regularize a process that assumes each geeklist either is or is not a wargame list, you're going to be buried in edge cases.

Whoever submits the Geeklist decides whether or not it is tagged with the "wargame" sub-domain tag. A person wouldn't have to use the feature at all, but only "wargame" Geeklists would display on the main page if you clicked on the "wargames" tab at the top (just like only wargame forums, images, and reviews show if you click on wargames now).

And you could search for "wargame" tagged Geeklists, or look at a list of them (another option on the Geeklist menu at the top). But they would still be displayed along with all the other Geeklists too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
SphereSo what about all the geeklists that have a mix of wargames and non-wargames. Are they in or out?

We could create another sub-domain for them??

No?

OK, I'm in the "silly" mode" (heavy lacking of coffein) but this first came into my mind

When it comes to "organizing (aka: bureaucracy)" you all seem to be a bit German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Can't we search the lists tagged with the word "wargames"?

I've never created a list so I'm not sure whether you can actually tag them.

I'm only interested in lists predominantly about wargames but they tend to get lost in the shuffle so I usually miss them.

You can search for tags, but anything tagged "wargame" will come up... and you end up with a list 177 pages long mostly of wargames.

If we all agreed to use a "wargamelist" tag on every wargame related geeklist, then the tag system would work.

I agree... I rarely look through wargame Geeklists because they get lost in the shuffle. Also, if it is easier for wargamers to find wargame Geeklists, everyone might be more likely to make Geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to divide geeklists any way other than BGG, VGG, and RPGG seems difficult.

I suggest people who post geeklists that are likely to appeal to wargamers post a link to them in the the wargames forum. I do that, and I sometimes post links to other people's geeklists that are wargame- or history-related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting links to them in the wargame forum is one way to go, but they slip under the surface and become just as hard to find as the list. I alluded to what I think is the best solution earlier and I've taken the bull by the horns and just created a meta-list:

Wargamer's Guide to Wargaming Geeklists

I invite everyone to post links to their favorite wargaming geeklists there. I'm not much of a geeklister myself, having only created 10 previously. Nearly all of them included wargames, but only one qualified as being a true wargamer's geeklist. I encourage you to be similarly selective about what you add. If we get the kitchen sink thrown in, we'll end up with so many entries that we won't accomplish anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am hearing you say is that you desire a lot of information about Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
What I am hearing you say is that you desire a lot of information about Small World.

That high pitched sound you hear is the missile homing in on your current location. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

As mentioned above, I just added this GeekList to the description page of the wargames subdomain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Sphere wrote:

As mentioned above, I just added this GeekList to the description page of the wargames subdomain.

Nice! And thank you, I never would have thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.