Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Just wanted to confirm that a "village card" is inclusive of all cards in the village, including heroes, basic, weapons, items, spells, and villagers. (Exclusive of Familiars, even though they are now located in the Village on the board.)

This would make the Bounty Hunter's spoils ability analogous to Chalice Paladin. But I was always confused about buying a "village" card, since I'm not sure there's any other type of card I'm allowed to buy.

Relevant passages from the lexicon:

p.34 wrote:
Village: Where the villagers live. You ready your deck for the dungeon by buying cards here.
Village Stack: All village or basic cards with the same name located in the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Just wanted to confirm that a "village card" is inclusive of all cards in the village, including heroes, basic, weapons, items, spells, and villagers. (Exclusive of Familiars, even though they are now located in the Village on the board.)

This would make the Bounty Hunter's spoils ability analogous to Chalice Paladin. But I was always confused about buying a "village" card, since I'm not sure there's any other type of card I'm allowed to buy.

Relevant passages from the lexicon:

p.34 wrote:
Village: Where the villagers live. You ready your deck for the dungeon by buying cards here.
Village Stack: All village or basic cards with the same name located in the village.

No, there is a definition of village cards in the rulebook on page 6.

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin Rulebook, p6 wrote:

Village Cards
These cards represent the resources you gather in the village. Village cards have green frames. They include villagers who aid you, weapons your heroes can equip, spells you can cast, and items that make your adventure more successful. See the village card breakdown
(page 11) for an explanation of the parts that make up a village card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, heroes (except Militia/Regulars/(Elite Militia?)) are not village cards.

And who knows, in the future, there could be another type of card you can buy that isn't a village card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
InfoCynic wrote:
In short, heroes (except Militia/Regulars/(Elite Militia?)) are not village cards.

Well, except that that definition references border color, which I assume is analogous to the "village" symbol in classic. See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/668421

So village would include Elite Militia, ToR Torches, and ToR Longspears; but exclude Militia, classic Torches, Daggers, Iron Rations, and Regulars.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

Well, except that that definition references border color, which I assume is analogous to the "village" symbol in classic. See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/668421

So village would include Elite Militia, ToR Torches, and ToR Longspears; but exclude Militia, classic Torches, Daggers, Iron Rations, and Regulars.

Right?

It is a bit more complex than that. The best way to look at it is your standard Hero stacks are NOT included. Diseases/curses/familiars are not Village cards either. Militia are not Village cards because the stack is unlimited. All other cards purchasable in the village are village cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where the confusion's coming in, and I'm a little confused, too, but the rulebook defines the Village cards as excluding the heroes and the basic cards. ToR village cards (per page 5 of the rulebook) consist of

Bandia's Wisdom
Battle-scarred Soldier
Bounty Hunter
Dancing Sword
Dwarven Bear Hammer
Falcon Arbalest
Filigree Amulet
Innkeeper
King Caelan's Writ
Longsword
Mass Teleport
Moonstone
Pike
Ranger's Wilderness Map
Royal Summons
Snakehead Flail
Smuggler
Summon Storm
Veteran Trainer

They're villagers, weapons, spells, and items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
slaqr wrote:
It is a bit more complex than that. The best way to look at it is your standard Hero stacks are NOT included. Diseases/curses/familiars are not Village cards either. Militia are not Village cards because the stack is unlimited. All other cards purchasable in the village are village cards.

So that means that Regulars, Torches, Longspears, Daggers, and Iron Rations are all "village" cards, right?

So Chalice Paladin's "Spoils (Village)" would not apply to heroes? Currently on Facebook, he can buy any card (including heroes and basic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
So that means that Regulars, Torches, Longspears, Daggers, and Iron Rations are all "village" cards, right?

I guess what I'm saying is that there's some confusion, at least for me, in and among these points:
-- The card says you can buy a Village card.
-- Village cards are explicitly defined in the rulebook's card manifest as the ones I listed above and do not include Heroes (including regulars) and do not include the Basic cards.
-- The rulebook says Village cards have green borders, and the Longspear and Torch cards have green borders.

It's logical that you could buy a Basic item as well as a "Village" card, but it's not clear that you can from the rules as written (and the clarification in the back of the manual doesn't help with this). It's less clear to me whether you could buy a Hero.

Quote:
So Chalice Paladin's "Spoils (Village)" would not apply to heroes? Currently on Facebook, he can buy any card (including heroes and basic).

Page 20 of the v1.4 Thunderstone rules state that the Chalice Paladin's buying power includes Village, Hero, and Basic cards, so I don't think this case helps us much here.

If Advance's definition of Village card is Villagers, Weapons, Spells, and Items but not Basic or Hero cards, then the board isn't doing a clear enough job of distinguishing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there was definitely some poor text templating prior to Towers of Ruin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an official answer for this? In the absence thereof, I would assume that the intent was to allow the purchase of Basic as well as Village cards but not Heroes.

I might suggest for an FAQ or 1.1 rules that Basic cards be defined as a subtype of Village cards and Hero cards, as appropriate--which seems to be the intent, given the green and blue borders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the confusion.

Village cards have green borders. Some basic cards are also village cards (i.e., Longspear, Torch). Those cards overlap two categories.

The card list is intended to tell you what's in the set, and help you inventory your cards. Just because Longspear and Torch don't appear in the village card list there doesn't mean they're not village cards. It's just that for purposes of a complete manifest, we didn't want to list them twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the effort of trying to get a clear, concise definition...

A village card:
* Is not a hero [except Elite Militia or any other hero which explicitly defines itself as a Village card]
* Is any other card you can buy in the village.

Since I know of know rule to purchase a disease or curse (they have no cost), that should work. Unless I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less, yes.

Curses are also face down, so the game doesn't really have a way for you to buy them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired TA so I still learning the in's and out's. What if I have 2 Bounty Hunters with 6 gold. Do I get to buy 2 cards each totaling 6 or 2 cards with a combine total of 6. Played our first game last night and this situation come up. Of course the question then came up "What if I had 3 or 4 BHs, would I get to buy a 3 or 4 cards each totaling the amount or combine total?" Also, I thought you can purchase: items, spells, villagers or heroes as long as you can afford it on this Spoil. Thanks for any info on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
jasonw91 wrote:
I just acquired TA so I still learning the in's and out's. What if I have 2 Bounty Hunters with 6 gold. Do I get to buy 2 cards each totaling 6 or 2 cards with a combine total of 6. Played our first game last night and this situation come up. Of course the question then came up "What if I had 3 or 4 BHs, would I get to buy a 3 or 4 cards each totaling the amount or combine total?" Also, I thought you can purchase: items, spells, villagers or heroes as long as you can afford it on this Spoil. Thanks for any info on this.

With Two Bounty Hunters and 6 Gold, as a Spoils effect you could make up to 2 separate buys, each time buying a village (green-bordered) card costing up to 6 gold. You get to use the full gold amount for each Spoils buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
jasonw91 wrote:

With Two Bounty Hunters and 6 Gold, as a Spoils effect you could make up to 2 separate buys, each time buying a village (green-bordered) card costing up to 6 gold. You get to use the full gold amount for each Spoils buy.

This came up in my last game, with two bounty hunters out. Are we sure this is right? Or could I use the six gold (in this example) across two buy actions? If I can use all six gold each time, the bounty hunter seems extremely powerful for its cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mopic42 wrote:
This came up in my last game, with two bounty hunters out. Are we sure this is right? Or could I use the six gold (in this example) across two buy actions? If I can use all six gold each time, the bounty hunter seems extremely powerful for its cost.

Yeah, it can be really powerful. However, Bounty Hunters don't contribute very much to a fight, so if you win with two of them present, you deserve an extra reward!

p.20 wrote:
If a Spoils ability tells you to buy a card, you may use the total gold value of all cards still in your hand to make that buy from the village. Unlike visiting the village, if you earn multiple buys from Spoils abilities in one turn, use the total gold value of your hand for each buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.