BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: War(game) inside my head rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gray
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I am looking to get into wargaming and I'm not sure where to start. I'm torn between two games. The first is Combat Commander: Europe. The second is Advanced Squad Leader SK #1.

I know ASL is very in depth and realistic, but how far can I really go with just the starter kits and its expansions? I also realize that the full ASL game has an insane amount of expansions and scenarios but I will probably never get the required game and manual... It's pretty expensive.

I know Combat Commander is less realistic and is card driven, which can be frustrating for some people. However, this has more scenarios and maps in it than the ASL SK (I'm not even going to think about the regular ASL yet). ASL SK #1 and its subsequent expansions do include vehicles as well, but like I said, how far can I really go with that?

What should I get? I told myself last night I'd sleep on it, and now I'm awake and still have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

First: Welcome in BGG!!
Second: It's better for your answers that you write in the "Wargames" Forum! There you will find more and more answers!

I don't play CC and I've played ASL sometimes; my analysis is surely superficial so, sorry, I can't help you much, but go for ASL!!

F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our area all the older grognards play both. The younger players play Combat Commander because it's easier to pick up. I've found having opponents is the key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hoi and welcome to BGG, with here is that "Wargames" sub-domain: War Games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gray
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
Hoi and welcome to BGG, with here is that "Wargames" sub-domain: War Games whistle

Okay I'll repsost this. But thanks for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.