Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the looks of this, I believe WotC is hoping fans of the D&D adventure system games will buy 3 of each set to get the painted minis for the common figures in Ravenloft and Drizzt. I hope I am wrong about this, because the majority of the figures included in these starter sets look as if you only need one of each, or like they should be uniques.

Also, it looks as if both packs have 2 of the same sculpt for archers, knights, etc., so I'm further left to wonder why they didn't just include multiples of the common figures from the Adventure System games too.

It is entirely possible that future packs will include another spider or drow blademaster, but I'm not expecting them to. My main concern is that WotC will release these games at a furious pace, about once every 3 months, and that I will have to shell out around $150.00 to get 3 of everything each time. That would eat my gaming budget for the entire year on just one game!

I wonder if WotC would consider an upgarde kit of painted minis just for the adventure system games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command is meant to be a unique game on it's own. I'm sure the adventure games were only a secondary consideration in the selection of figures. The monster cards for use with the adventure games are just a nice nod to the adventure game fans although I do wish they had come up with different stats for the repeated figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it was a "nice nod" and I am grateful that there will be more characters for the adventure system games, but I'm still uncertain about this.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I still can't shake the feeling that I'm being coaxed into buying multiple sets, even though I may well be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, at least this time you will know what you are getting, instead of random booster packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Rippe
Sweden
Alvangen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry but im not following the logic why do we need 3 sets to use them in the bordgame series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
mattias_gbg2 wrote:
sorry but im not following the logic why do we need 3 sets to use them in the bordgame series?

I think it is because some of the models in the D&DAS games have 3 of a certain min where they only show up once per box in Dungeon Command.

So in order to "Catch 'em all", one would have to buy three of the Lolth box for instance.

Yes, exactly.

I do appreciate that Wizards have added two sets of cards to this game, really I do. I think it is the presence of one mini where there are three of the same in the Adventure System games, coupled with the text on the back of the box that mentions something about how you can "combine and customize your warband with multiple faction packs" that has me concerned. (That's a paraphrase from memory.) That text is sorta vague.

I realize this game is going to cost more than Summoner Wars, I just don't want it to consume my gaming budget. I'm one of those weirdos that likes Euros along with Ameritrash.

I really like the fact that, since this isn't a "blind purchase" thing, the option to buy just one set exists...but I wish there were even ratios of the mini shared by both games. Again, maybe future packs will have more, which I doubt, or they will release some sort of option to buy additional painted minis for the adventure system games, which would be cool. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soberman wrote:
I really like the fact that, since this isn't a "blind purchase" thing, the option to buy just one set exists...but I wish there were even ratios of the mini shared by both games.

The trick here is to have custom Dungeon Command cards for the minis in the adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't see this as an attempt to get you to buy multiple sets just to replace your D&D AS minis. Since they include a new mini and card, I always saw them as an addition to the AS minis, not a replacement.

More importantly, I think only a few of the minis in the AS games are new sculpts. If you wanted painted versions you could just do what Drakkenstrike did and buy them individually. It wouldn't be cheap, but 3 of each Dungeon Command set isn't cheap either, and would only cover a small portion of the AS minis.

I don't think they ever expected you to use DC to replace all your AS minis, but if you want to try I'm sure they won't mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I am quite sure they will make at least one more D&D Adventure game.

Sorry to go OT, but has there been any word or indication of this? I know one designer expressed some interest, but haven't heard anything else. The first three seemed to come out pretty rapid-fire, so no announcement makes me doubt that another one is coming. I would be very happy if it were true, I'm just skeptical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[article=8573792]Drunken frog reports[/article]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:

Oh, awesome! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

Did you notice this thread was started by soberman?

I guess the thread has now come full circle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Null Null
msg tools
D6Frog wrote:
I am quite sure they will make at least one more D&D Adventure game. As it is, there are more monster types in the 3 DDAS games than the entire Descent 1st Edition line. There are more tiles than the entire Descent 1st edition line as well. We have like 150 minis and 150 tiles between those 3 games.

More monster types but far less heroes.

There's not really close to 150 tiles between the three games either, there's not even 120 tiles in total. In comparison there's actually 143 tiles in Descent, some of which are double sided, a fold out map, and some ships that might also count as tiles.

It's also 167 figures in Descent (that you don't need to go out of your way to buy separately, and around 200 if you go out of your way for those extras) vs. 124 in D&D:AS.

Descent is a massive game.
(I just wrote this because I dislike information that is not factual.
Do not ask me how I know all of these numbers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Null Null
msg tools
D6Frog wrote:
As for tiles, I still believe 120+ is more in DDAS because they are full tiles. In Descent a ton of the tiles are 1x2, 4x4, or coupler pieces.

With Descent you got around 25 or so vanilla quests. Of course Road to Legend gave you infinite quests really.

There's 114 tiles in D&D:AS, not 120+.
There's 30 vanilla quests in Descent, not 25.

I'm not saying you are dissing anything, just that you're over or under estimating certain numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone compare the relative prices of the two games for what you get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those comparisons would be very nice to have archived in the
D&D Adventure System » General forum, I only noticed this thread with luck, but I am subscribed to above forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Can someone compare the relative prices of the two games for what you get?

ThomasAH wrote:
I think those comparisons would be very nice to have archived in the
D&D Adventure System » General forum, I only noticed this thread with luck, but I am subscribed to above forum.

This sounded like a good idea so I did something along these lines for the Adventure System games and Dungeon Command. It's somewhat approximate, but might be helpful. I would love to see someone do something similar for Descent, Gears of War, and any other mini and tile-based game. Check it out...

Mini and Tile Value in Adventure System and Dungeon Command games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watt
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
If you just want painted versions of your Adventure System minis you're far better off looking for singles from the old D&D Minis game. All but about half a dozen are reprints of figures from that system. I replaced my heroes with painted ones but I'm using the unpainted monsters. Some of these can be really expensive though--the dragon from Ashardalon will set you back about $40 I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BaseTwelve wrote:
Since they include a new mini and card, I always saw them as an addition to the AS minis, not a replacement.

That's the best business move. If I'm buying twelve prepainted mini's, I do *not* want only four sculpts. An assortment of mini's is the best compromise for those buying DC for the various D&D products. And the D&D boardgame gets an *expansion* rather than a replacement with the DC prepaints.

What you want to do is just swap out the D&D boardgame monster cards for those in the DC games. Now we can finally have some thematic encounter decks! Can't wait for Strahd to fire those dumb kobolds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.