Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a year of taking Tai Chi classes at the Texas Rock Gym, I got into bouldering a couple weeks ago with a work buddy. We're both pretty new at this thing, and I thought if any more experienced climbers/boulderers have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Currently what I've been told so far:
1) Take it easy, don't push too hard and don't go to often (2x a week for now)
2) Stretch arms and elbows before/after, especially after
3) Avoid Crimps, stick with open handed holds
4) on off days, do handstand pushups, dips, and pullups (especially the pushups and dips)
5) keep stretching, the tendons don't feel pain like muscles but they need time to recover and take longer to bounce back and strengthen than muscles (hence don't go to often).

Any other advice?

cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new also. Been doing bouldering and toproping for a few months now. It's awesomely fun.

Your advice sounds good. The only thing I'd add is to get good shoes, and check on the web first for how much they stretch. My shoes fit at first, but have stretched and now don't give me the control I need sometimes so I may have to buy a second pair in a smaller size.

And yes, watch out for the tendons. I've had tendonitis from before I started climbing, and it's one of those sucky issues that can take indefinitely long to recover from. As soon as you feel tendonitis lay off until it is gone. Muscle soreness you can work through, but tendonitis is completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and my tai chi teacher (also a rock climber) also suggested I practice standing for extended periods on one leg...he says it strengthens the ankles and helps prevents sprains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Oh and my tai chi teacher (also a rock climber) also suggested I practice standing for extended periods on one leg...he says it strengthens the ankles and helps prevents sprains.

Do that on top of a folded towel, it adds instability and makes your ankles work that much harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

Do that on top of a folded towel, it adds instability and makes your ankles work that much harder.

Cool, will do...he also recommended closing one's eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
abrannan wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

Cool, will do...he also recommended closing one's eyes.

And on the bus on your way to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, as one of the very few Houstonians who take the bus to work, I've thought about doing that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, this is a serious thread. And here I was going to suggest you ask Magdar.

Magdar Lava Demon

Lava City
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.