Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: only shipment to US? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Well I heard that the game will NOT be shipped to non-US. Thats very bad news to 95% of us living in the rest of the world. And the cheap excuse (what a pun) is that shipment costs are too high. So I as European have to buy the game privately from US-ebay and I am sure the shipment costs will even be higher. Thank you SJG for serving only your US customers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
forty eight
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently only available in KS for US... waiting for SJG to announce conditions for non US. Check the faq in the KS page.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a little research...


(You may have noticed that we’re not currently offering shipping outside the US. We are NOT happy about leaving non-US players out! If we can find an affordable and somewhat-reliable way to ship a 14-pound package outside the US, and deal with the inevitable customs issues, we’ll add foreign support options.)




(2) Yes, absolutely, we are going to find some overseas shipping solutions. We just didn’t want to delay launch. We’ll announce Canadian and overseas shipping costs as soon as we can.


both from..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers...

17 
 Thumb up
1.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Try a little research...


(You may have noticed that we’re not currently offering shipping outside the US. We are NOT happy about leaving non-US players out! If we can find an affordable and somewhat-reliable way to ship a 14-pound package outside the US, and deal with the inevitable customs issues, we’ll add foreign support options.)




(2) Yes, absolutely, we are going to find some overseas shipping solutions. We just didn’t want to delay launch. We’ll announce Canadian and overseas shipping costs as soon as we can.


both from..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers...



ah, ok, thanks alot for the clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank

If you end up unhappy with the SJG shipping price to Europe, take a look at my offer in the news blog post, if you can find a cheaper price to ship
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One other issue with shipping overseas is duty. On a game as big and as heavy as this is likely to be I suspect that UK customs at least would decide to charge. They have been hitting other kickstarter products apparently and the end result of duty, charges and shipping is that backers end up paying more than the UK retail price before any discounts they might get from local retailers.

I think that shipping to other countries needs to be looked as seriously because if UK backers for example are not careful they will end up paying through the nose.

The kind of thing that is probably needed is some sort of group to place one large order and get it shipped surface freight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I could buy the game cheaper from a local game store if I ask them to import it, but I want to back it so that we get to the $200,000 mark. I want those single-sided maps, and I'd also like to help everyone else get them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer to buy at my FLGS, but I'm also wanting the extras from Kickstarter.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I want those single-sided maps, and I'd also like to help everyone else get them.


My reading is that at 200K all copies of Designer's Ed convert to single sided maps (not just Kickstarter copies).

I am concerned though about not being able to get the 75K and 140K exclusives (countersheet and terrain overlays) as an overseas customer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I want those single-sided maps, and I'd also like to help everyone else get them.


My reading is that at 200K all copies of Designer's Ed convert to single sided maps (not just Kickstarter copies).

I am concerned though about not being able to get the 75K and 140K exclusives (countersheet and terrain overlays) as an overseas customer.


What might work nicely is an "overseas supporter's set" containing the extras and the "swag" and international (only) shipping. We could then (and here's the awesome part) get the physical game from our FLGS.

I know I'd happily drop $75 doing it that way!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
My reading is that at 200K all copies of Designer's Ed convert to single sided maps (not just Kickstarter copies).

I know. But if we overseas can't back, then maybe it won't reach the 200K mark. And then there will be no single-sided maps.

Talorien wrote:
I am concerned though about not being able to get the 75K and 140K exclusives (countersheet and terrain overlays) as an overseas customer.

Indeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
One other issue with shipping overseas is duty. On a game as big and as heavy as this is likely to be I suspect that UK customs at least would decide to charge. They have been hitting other kickstarter products apparently and the end result of duty, charges and shipping is that backers end up paying more than the UK retail price before any discounts they might get from local retailers.

I think that shipping to other countries needs to be looked as seriously because if UK backers for example are not careful they will end up paying through the nose.

The kind of thing that is probably needed is some sort of group to place one large order and get it shipped surface freight.


Yes, very good point. I gave up on P500 orders from GMT as even with the preorder discount I was paying more by the time customs and delivery rip-off charge had been added.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Talorien wrote:
My reading is that at 200K all copies of Designer's Ed convert to single sided maps (not just Kickstarter copies).

I know. But if we overseas can't back, then maybe it won't reach the 200K mark. And then there will be no single-sided maps.


Good point.

I'm hopeful though that it can hit 200K (the last two days of a KS campaign typically see almost the same amount of new funding as the first two days).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
I was paying more by the time customs and delivery rip-off charge had been added.


You know, I wouldn't mind if all they asked me to do was pay standard VAT. I could get behind that.

It's not like I'm trying to get around the charges or anything, yet I get punished for ordering something when I can't buy it domestically.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
hemulen wrote:
I was paying more by the time customs and delivery rip-off charge had been added.


You know, I wouldn't mind if all they asked me to do was pay standard VAT. I could get behind that.

It's not like I'm trying to get around the charges or anything, yet I get punished for ordering something when I can't buy it domestically.

Global market economy but the system is still local?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Slev wrote:
hemulen wrote:
I was paying more by the time customs and delivery rip-off charge had been added.


You know, I wouldn't mind if all they asked me to do was pay standard VAT. I could get behind that.

It's not like I'm trying to get around the charges or anything, yet I get punished for ordering something when I can't buy it domestically.

Global market economy but the system is still local?


Not quite.

If I import things properly as an importer, I'd have to pay any import duty (in case of various luxuries such as tobacco and alcohol), and when selling it on I'd have to add in VAT. So, if I buy it locally after import, I'm paying the product cost plus shipping cost plus VAT plus the retailer's mark-up.

If I order directly then, I should pay all of the above save the retailer's mark-up.

However, the agency delivering the package will charge you for the privilege of paying customs through them, and in some cases, customs & excise charge an amount above VAT (because they can), which is all stupid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

They mentioned on the project page that they want a *trackable* way to ship overseas. There are good business and practical reasons for that. Having done some overseas package shipping several different ways, I can see the problem. We'd see the same complaints if the international shipping level was $250, and it could easily get there. Shipping a box like that *without* tracking could easily cost $100, probably more.

So I don't think this should be perceived as "who cares about people outside the US". I think they're sincere when they say they're looking for a satisfactory solution. I hope they find one, but I'm not optimistic.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Shipping a box like that *without* tracking could easily cost $100, probably more.

And that's freaking ridiculous.

For $100, I can send a trackable 5.5kg package from Japan to Europe. Or a 7kg package to the States. By air. Using Economy Air (about 2 weeks delivery time), I could send an 8kg package trackable to Europe for that amount.

I don't know what happened, but sometime from between the 90s and now, the companies carrying good from the States decided they didn't want to do that.

If it's that expensive to send, then strike a deal with a retailer or two in Europe, and send out coupons in a letter that we can exchange for the game in question. I don't care if it's not delivered to by door; I can go to a game store to pick it up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masybe SJG should open a 2nd Kickstarter for shipping to say, Germany. Get a container full - xxx copies and repeat for the number of European orders.

If they are made in China but finally assembled in the USA... well - that's a whole new story.

but, as someone who ships to and fro from Europe a lot.. 15 lbs of game in a big box is going to be a killer.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I don't know what happened, but sometime from between the 90s and now, the companies carrying good from the States decided they didn't want to do that.


Actually, this happened around four or five years ago. I could still get reasonable postage before then.

Actually, if you go back to the 90's it gets expensive again.

The only thing that really made it cheap I think is the US economy going down the toilet, while the rest of us stayed strong a while longer.


MWAlbion wrote:
Masybe SJG should open a 2nd Kickstarter for shipping to say, Germany. Get a container full - xxx copies and repeat for the number of European orders.


That would take the postage from "ridiculously brutal" to just "brutal".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See !!! Now you are looking on the bright side !!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that games from the US aren't three times the price here than over there (more like 150% of the price), there ARE ways where bulk shipping isn't that bloody.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Bulk shipping, sure. Shipping to a thousand individual addresses, no.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Bulk shipping, sure. Shipping to a thousand individual addresses, no.

Then don't ship to a thousand individual addresses. Bulk ship to Europe, and then let someone in Europe ship to a thousand individual addresses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
andreww wrote:
Bulk shipping, sure. Shipping to a thousand individual addresses, no.

Then don't ship to a thousand individual addresses. Bulk ship to Europe, and then let someone in Europe ship to a thousand individual addresses.


Unfortunately, you then have to:

1) Find someone you trust to do it

2) Pay that person a handling fee

If the cost of (2) is the same or more as the savings from bulk shipping, you're back where you started.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.