Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dutch Blitz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Empty Blitz Pile: Can You Continue to Play Cards Before Calling Blitz? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say you empty your blitz pile, are you allowed to continue playing cards to get a couple more points before calling "Blitz!"?

Here's what little the rulebooks say:

Dutch Blitz:

End the Hand: When a player uses the last card in his Blitz Pile, he calls "BLITZ!" and all play immediately stops.

Ligretto:

End of the game: As soon as a player has got no more cards left in his Ligretto stack, he shouts: "Ligretto stop", thereby finishing the game. No-one may lay any more cards after this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if there's an official rule or not, but we've always played that you can continue if you wish. It's generally not a wise decision though as each card your opponent has in their pile is worth -2 points...while any card you play is only worth 1 point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Don't know if there's an official rule or not, but we've always played that you can continue if you wish. It's generally not a wise decision though as each card your opponent has in their pile is worth -2 points...while any card you play is only worth 1 point.

We always played that way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We let the game go on as long as a player wants. Otherwise this turns into one of those "on your honor" rules which I try to avoid and as previous posters have mentioned it is generally not in a players best interest to keep playing.

Making going out optional is especially helpful for new or younger players. It seems much more satisfying to them to get points early on regardless of how many points the experienced players get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lindberg
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played this for the first time over the weekend. I think if you want to prolong the game to score more points you need to leave the last card in the blitz pile. That way you are taking on more risk if you're planning on playing that last card to a Dutch pile that someone else could beat you to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chien
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:

Dutch Blitz is a favorite in my house, but this came up last night when we were playing with less-experienced players. Our girls (19 and 22) are very good at this game, and regularly trounce me and my wife and most others who dare to play. The nudge from the less experienced (and generally slower) players was that maybe the girls were taking advantage by circumventing the requirement to stop when their Blitz piles were empty, but logic would say that it really isn't, given that if you force them to stop, it will result more often (for our group, anyway) in negative points for the slower players.

The real point of bringing the exact wording of the rule up was to "discomfit the enemy," devil the "enemy" being much faster-playing than their opponents. Boy, were they discomfited! They insisted it was a strategic choice and they insisted they be allowed to play beyond emptying their Blitz piles. They are very proud of their supremacy, and any hint (not from us!) that they are playing unfairly really puts them out!

I think what they really like is their ability to win QUICKLY, which they do when they can average 25 points a round by playing beyond the end of their Blitz piles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.