Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read all the reviews here on BoB and am tempted. But.. I was tempted and bought Memoir 44, Mediterranean Commander, Tide of Iron, Conflict of Heroes, ASL, and many other WW2 game series, all of which only seemed to keep me occupied for a limited time.

I admit I am a fussy fart. Little things can put me off of games. Like having to play every week or you forget the rules (ASL), 30-60 minutes set up time (Tide of Iron), no vehicles/tanks (Commander), dodgy statistics for vehicles and inadequate reaction fire (CoH), and too much emphasis on luck (Memoir 44).

I am resigned to the fact that there will never be a perfect game that suits me 100%, but this one, BoB looks promising.

It ticks the boxes for me of being expandable, and apparently, pretty relaistic in that long range infantry firefights seldom decide a battle.

But I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what the game is like in terms of luck versus skill. In other words, will good solid tactics and play be rewarded most of the time, and poor play penalised? Or is the luck factor, ie the roll of the die, likely to be too important.

Is it toward the chess end (no luck), or the Yahtzee end (all luck) of the scale?

My own test is that I have 36 playing cards each with a number between 1 and 6 on it... so 6 cards have 1, 6 cards have 2 etc. It means that after 36 rolls of the die (in fact turn of the cards) you will have had all of the numbers six times. It rfeduces some of the vagaries of die-rolling and is good for testing out tactics and how dependent a game is on the roll of the die. I do like some randomness, but no so much that it spoils a game.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HIGHLY! skill driven and much less luck driven.

I recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, you'll need 60 cards, as BoB uses a D10.

Secondly, BoB uses a lot of die rolls, but never more than one at a time. (No BoD for BoB.)

To me, that means rolls tend to average out more. To others, that means there's too much dependent on a random element. My personal take on small-unit combat (if not on all combat) is that training and experience make you more likely to perform well under pressure, but nothing guarantees everything and everyone is going to behave in a completely deterministic manner.

No, long-range infantry combat isn't going to win the day, as you're not likely to get the results you need to inflict significant casualties, but it can suppress the enemy enough to allow you to close, and that is precisely what it should be expected to do, at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Very skill driven.

If all the die rolls (which aren't making things random as much as they are simply testing against a units' relative ability to get a task done) were evened out, the player employing the more correct tactics (the 4Fs of combat) will win almost every time.

This game manages to, through its mechanics and abstractions "gently force" players to use correct tactics to win the battlefield. It makes thing work more correctly, for a WW2 soldiers point of view, than almost every other WW2 tactical game I've played.

There are a lot of good tactical games that play well but are still simplifying some aspect of combat or another (there are no true, non-gamey simulations of tactical combat, despite what various fanatics might argue ... I'm looking at ASL fans specifically here). BoB manages to make tactical combat feel right through use of proper tactics, and it's emphasis on the differences between morale, suppression and "broken".

BoB rocks. I'm on Vassal and am up for games pretty much any time.

(See my mini review in my ratings for more details ... http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/DaveyJJ)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the best tactical game on the market. That said, if tactical games don't hold your interest, there's no reason to think this one will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds good. I have a birthday coming up next month, so will put this top of my list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.