Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am moving to Sheffield (Greystones) next month and will be looking for wargamers. I will probably check out the clubs (and Patriot Games) in the area, but these seem to be more miniature and Eurogame oriented.

Is anyone interested in WW2 board wargames? I am particularly keen on ASL, ASL starter kit, Russian Campaign, Panzer Grenadier, maybe 3R but anything else is fine.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No-one? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not aware of any board wargaming groups in the Sheffield area but you might want to consider checking out the Manchester Board Wargamers, they meet to the East of Manchester and you can get to their venue from Sheffield in a hour or so by car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Webber
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriot Games, and Wargames Emporium are the shops, and as far as I know there are a number of board wargamers in Sheffield.

Obviously, putting a shout out in the shops might put you in touch with people who share your particular passion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All.

I have recently been to Patriot games but they hadn't heard of any of the games I mentioned. However they will cater for my RPG needs so that is fine. AFAIK they understand 'wargames' to mean Warhammer and the like with miniatures (I think).

I haven't been to Wargames Emporium but might check that out as I am going to Sheffield tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
Thanks All.

AFAIK they understand 'wargames' to mean Warhammer and the like with miniatures (I think).

To be a little snooty: in English the term 'wargames' for many, many years referred to using figures and models on a terrain. It is only as the American language has come into wider usage that the meaning of 'wargames' has drifted (on this side of The Pond) towards referring to playing a boardgame with cardboard counters representing troops, ships, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
CharlieWilson wrote:
CletePurcel wrote:
Thanks All.

AFAIK they understand 'wargames' to mean Warhammer and the like with miniatures (I think).

To be a little snooty: in English the term 'wargames' for many, many years referred to using figures and models on a terrain. It is only as the American language has come into wider usage that the meaning of 'wargames' has drifted (on this side of The Pond) towards referring to playing a boardgame with cardboard counters representing troops, ships, etc.

I've been playing Avalon Hill, SPI, and many more wargames in the UK since 1975, so I think we are pretty used to wargames not just being miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always understood wargames to refer to both miniatures and cardboard. I don't have anything against miniatures (in fact I use them in RPGs), but I don't have the time to get into yet another branch of the hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames Emporium is probably your best bet for that aspect of gaming. Also look out for the Triples convention taking place in Sheffield in May.

Out of interest, what Eurogames clubs do you know of in Sheffield? I'm not aware of many organised ones. There's occasional gaming at Patriot, but the shop is usually overwhelmed with CCG players at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Wargames Emporium is probably your best bet for that aspect of gaming. Also look out for the Triples convention taking place in Sheffield in May.

Out of interest, what Eurogames clubs do you know of in Sheffield? I'm not aware of many organised ones. There's occasional gaming at Patriot, but the shop is usually overwhelmed with CCG players at the same time.

http://sheffieldboardgamers.forumotion.co.uk/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

I live just up the road from Greystones on Ecclesall Road South and play a wargame now and again when I get the opportunity (time restricted due to job pressures these days). I play more operational / strategic wargames (like No Retreat! for example which I see you have a copy of) and well beyond world war II (although I have an original copy of Squad Leader somewhere) but my Sheffield based wargames buddy and I have started playing a bit of Combat Commander which is like marmite for ASL players I understand.

I also have some mainly Leeds based wargaming buddies and we meet up once every 2-3 months or so for a multi-player game (eg Successors, Napoleonic Wars) but we (one of us in particular!) are notoriously slow so you'd need the patience of a saint to join that group.

I play Euros with some other mates every 2 weeks or so as well which pretty much coincides with the Sheffield board gamers meet you mention so I haven't got round to calling in on them.

Drop me a geek mail if any of the above interests you and I'll see if we can arrange a convenient time for a game.

Cheers,

Chris.

PS The Wargames Emporium definitely is the best (maybe only) shop that sells wargames in Sheffield. It stocks around 40 titles or so and about the same number of Euros. Tends to be a bit expensive though.

PPS There's a cracking pub in your new area called The Greystones (rather unimaginatively!). Its a Thornbridge pub and the beer is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GM sent.

I have now moved and in the process of unpacking.

I have already sampled the excellent ales in the Greystones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in the Handsworth area of Sheffield (off the parkway). Also play some random stuff with friends such as No Retreat and Combat Commander along with a few CDGs. I have some ASL stuff lying around but due to time constraints, never got into if fully. Tend to just play random wargames with a friend up in Wakefield.

By all means send a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurin Kennerley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm a memeber of the Sheffield Board Games club...

http://sheffieldboardgamers.forumotion.co.uk/

Looks like you found the link. We meet every other Tuesday in the 3 Cranes on Queen Street. If you bring the WW2 game people will play ;). I know some have Tide of Iron etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.