Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham Horror Solo - Ideal number of investigators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
EDIT: Base Game Only - No expansions (thanks to first poster for pointing this out)

Poll: Arkham Horror - Ideal number of investigators poll
When playing Arkham Horror solo, what is the ideal number of investigators to play?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
One
5.2% 5
Two
12.5% 12
Three
33.3% 32
Four
46.9% 45
More than four
2.1% 2
Voters 96
This poll is now closed.   96 answers
Poll created by nssxxx
Closes: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
I guess it depends on if there are any expansion boards included. Probably three for just the base game and a small expansion, maybe add one for each expansion board? Something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
I guess it depends on if there are any expansion boards included. Probably three for just the base game and a small expansion, maybe add one for each expansion board? Something like that.

Agreed. I use just the base game solo and always run three investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three for me as well, but that's because I don't have the space or mental capacity to track 4 different investigators. 3 is perfect for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like Becky said. AH works awesome as a solitaire-game, but it´s hard to keep track of more then 3 Investigators all for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Mark
United States
Clever
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buppyspek wrote:
Three for me as well, but that's because I don't have the space or mental capacity to track 4 different investigators. 3 is perfect for me.

ding ding... my table just doesnt have the ability to use 4 investigators... especially with an expansion board added... I actually had to devise a way for me to put Arkham Encounters on the actual board to make room! =*(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple: Less is more... fun. But harder. Ideally I would prefer to play with only one investigator. I tried it once with Wendy, mostly because the thought of a little girl running around trying to save the world was amusing. She didn'nt save the world - but I discovered that it was a nice flow to the solo game having to fiddle with/cater for only one single investigator. I also tried the house rule "double turn-single Mythos" for 1-1 games (solo-one investigator) but it feels slightly like cheating.

My standard solo setup is three investigators with one big expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a solo with six investigators and all expansions except Miskatonic Horror, because that one hasn't arrived yet. Really love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with two but treat it like four in all respects except the final battle. I skip essentially every other mythos and its subsequent upkeep/refresh phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When doing a solo run-through, I always use three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim--Could you explain why you skip every other Mythos Phase, etc? Is that a house rule or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Jim--Could you explain why you skip every other Mythos Phase, etc? Is that a house rule or what?

It is a house rule and makes life easier for when less than 4 investigators are in the game. Some people play with a single investigator and only do a mythos every 4 turns. That way the "ratio" of investigators to mythos cards stays the same as if it were a normal 4-player game where you draw a mythos every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

Definitely a house rule. I like to go for a 6 gate closing victory and not very interested in a fight the old one finale. I am attempting to simulate a four investigator game using only two investigators. I skip the Upkeep because its like giving each investigator two turns but not giving too much advantage by allowing focus chances and retainer money to overflow. It's a pain when lost in time and space and when you have to lay down tokens during the Upkeep, etc.

I have slightly changed our method of determining whethere there's a mythos or not. If we have two mythos is a row or two non mythos in a row then the their turn is defintely the opposite, i.e, two mythos means will we have a definite not mythos turn.

INVESTIGATORS

Mythos Phase: At the end of each Investigator's turn, roll 1 die. On a 1,2 or 3, draw a Mythos card and play it as a normal Mythos Phase*.
...Rumor: Always treat the requirements of a rumor as if there were 4 investigators in the game.
...Monster Surge and other Events: Play normally.
...Pass the First player token.

*Exception: If there has been two mythos phases in a row, skip the next mythos. If there has been two skipped mythos phases in a row, there there will by a mythos phase.

Upkeep: If there was Mythos phase, each investigator performs their upkeep, otherwise skip Upkeep.

Monster limit: Always 7.
Terror limit: Always 5.
Too Many Open Gates: Always 7.
Final Combat: Based on actual number of Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Poll may be closed, but I'll weigh in anyway. First, the question depends on what you mean by "Ideal". Easiest win? Hardest reasonable win? Barely any chance at a win? Easiest to manage? etc. Assuming you mean a combination of best chance to win while maintaining manageability, then I would suggest 3 Investigators for the Base game. Personally, I like to add one investigator when I put Dunwich (my only large expansion) in use.

I'm fortunate enough to have a Ping Pong table to use, so I can easily lay out Base + Dunwich + Lurker + Curse. I use the Start Player marker to keep track of where I am and I only break from the game after completing an entire round and advancing the Start Player marker. I always turn cards when I exhaust them and keep strictly to the Phases, which makes management a lot easier.

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Duarte
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
I myself used to run 4 investigators when playing just the base game + Dunwich and a small card expansion, but now that I'm playing with all the expansion boards (Dunwich+Kingsport+Innsmouth) and a small card expansion [as well as with Miskatonic], I found that 4 is just too little - there is just an awful lot of ground to cover.

(In fact, I've recently been thinking that 8 is the right amount when playing with everything).

So, for me:

- Just the base game: 3 is enough, 4 for confort. 1 is really hard.

- Base game and one board expansion: 4 is plenty.

- Full expanded game: AT LEAST 6 investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macko Darkfyre
United States
California
flag msg tools
For base games, we've had a lot of fun with 3-4 investigators running around. Five seems too many and kind of bogs the game down with a lot of deliberation since people seem to want to go and do the same things sometimes. It feels like, often times, it's better for the investigators to take different paths with the base game to maximize clue token gathering, gate closing, item shopping and monster fighting. Someone seems to always want to do what it makes more sense for another person to go do.

When you add one expansion board to the game (we only currently have KH and DH), three investigators feels a bit thin. Things tend to get out of control, rifts can spawn and clean up the board or the Dunwich Horror gets loose and wreaks havoc.

As an example, the last 3 player game we ran had us undermanned and outgunned. No one could get to Kingsport before it was too late. A rift opened and in three rounds Y'Golonac's doom track went form 7 to 12. Of course, horrible idea for us to NOT make things happen and get someone there when we could, but we figured we'd have more time and put it off. Four players feels like a good challenge for us with one expansion board at the moment and I think five might be a bit too relaxing.

Sorry I missed the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
majormarkd wrote:
buppyspek wrote:

ding ding... my table just doesnt have the ability to use 4 investigators... especially with an expansion board added... I actually had to devise a way for me to put Arkham Encounters on the actual board to make room! =*(

Do you have an iPhone/iPad/Mac/anything that can run Mac apps? FFG has a pretty good app that replaces the location/other world decks and can also be used as a dice roller. You can also choose your investigator and keep track of their clues/sanity/stamina, but you can only have a maximum of one active at a time so it's not as good for solo play. There's a map of Arkham/expansion towns too but I never use it.

Anyway it saves a fair amount of table space and set-up time and I highly recommend it.

The only thing is although you can add expansions, you can't decide between, say, "Touring performance" and "Permanent performance" styles of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mb
How much does it takes the game to play (solo)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.