Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a complete copy of HeroQuest. I also have an additional complete set of HeroQuest minis that I discovered when I purchased a copy of Dark World on E-bay. BONUS I know that my wife and kids will not be interested in playing HeroQuest with me, so I am looking for a good set of solo rules (ie. no Game Master required). I am looking for rules or ideas that supports variable dungeon generation and random creatures, events and treasures. I would also like something that is easily adaptable to the supplied adventures but can also be used to create new random ones. Uwe Heilmann's idea posted HERE is very interesting however I have not received any feedback from Uwe on the details of how it all works. whistle So if anyone has a good set of solo rules that don't stray too far away from the intent of the regular game rules or can help support Uwe's idea I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could easily say that on the monsters' turn, move them toward the closest available hero, a la many zombie games. That's a very simple addition that doesn't change anything about the game and in all honesty is what happens most of the time with a 'live' GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta da!

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/17188/heroquest-solo-coop-...

Take/use/ignore whatever you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Nice, ninjadorg. I'll have to give this a whirl sometime. Didn't even know this was out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really needs a graphic overhaul and maybe updating to card decks. Some day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

sorry for any delay ...

MvRichthofen wrote:
I recently picked up a complete copy of HeroQuest. I also have an additional complete set of HeroQuest minis that I discovered when I purchased a copy of Dark World on E-bay. BONUS I know that my wife and kids will not be interested in playing HeroQuest with me, so I am looking for a good set of solo rules (ie. no Game Master required). I am looking for rules or ideas that supports variable dungeon generation and random creatures, events and treasures. I would also like something that is easily adaptable to the supplied adventures but can also be used to create new random ones. Uwe Heilmann's idea posted HERE is very interesting however I have not received any feedback from Uwe on the details of how it all works. whistle So if anyone has a good set of solo rules that don't stray too far away from the intent of the regular game rules or can help support Uwe's idea I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

... but sometimes job necessities overrule hobby business.
My version of HEROQUEST works without a dungeon master and generates each single adventure anew and different each time played.
If you are interested in such a game version, get your printer ready and prepare yourself for a lot of changes/additions.

The first step is the adventure modification. Your ideas are more than welcome.

As I use the games CASTLE RAVENLOFT-WRATH OF ASHARDALON-LEGENDS OF DRIZZT as the basic exploration and combat system, it is necessary for me to know if you own one or more of these games.

The idea is to present you the way to transform the original game by modifying the very first original adventure. You will then have a chance to decide to either continue this path or say good-bye to my system.

Would that be okay?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Uwe!!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were ignoring me. I understand that real life is sometimes more important than gaming. I do not own CASTLE RAVENLOFT-WRATH OF ASHARDALON-LEGENDS OF DRIZZT, but I am still very interested in your system and how it works. I studied the a few of your gallery images and have the general idea of the the room cards. They are color coded and the passages are number or lettered going clockwise. I am assuming that these colors, numbers and letters each have a corresponding table(s) that determine events, furniture, treasure and creature placement, wondering monsters, etc. Is that the general idea? My printer is ready and can't wait to see what you've got going for this game. So far it looks like a fairly simple system, which is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want to over complicate an already stream-lined game system with tons of reference tables. Also, I have already started working on enhanced graphics for the room cards, following your examples. I am sure that all Heroquest fans would be happy for you to share you ideas with us so that we can play this wonderful game alone, if needed. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in this system too, It looks to have so much potential
all of the variants I've been reading have some great ideas
I just like the randomness of the Uwe variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those following this thread, I did find Random Quest at http://aginsinn.yeoldeinn.com/randomquest.html. Here is the description...

RandomQuest is a new, GameMaster-less way to play HeroQuest. Dungeons are created randomly, as is monster placement and treasure.

RandomQuest is loosely based on the card system found in Warhammer Quest. It uses card decks to determine passages, rooms, monsters, and treasures. Quests from any source can be played in RandomQuest - HeroQuest quests, Advanced HeroQuest quests, Warhammer Quest quests, Dungeon and Dragons, etc.

RandomQuest was designed so that any number of Heroes can play. Solo questing is easy, as is multi-Hero parties. Players are not limited to one of each Hero, nor are they limited to the basic Heroes that came with HeroQuest.

The only bad part of Random Quest that I found is that you can not use the contents straight from the box. That is why I am interested in Uwe's system as it uses the original game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

thanks for the "randomquest" link.
This will come handy for all you guys not having the CR-WoA-LoD material (e.g. Monster cards, Treasure cards, etc.) as there are quite a lot of HEROQUEST based cards that can be downloaded from there.

Regarding the Dungeon generation process, my system does not require the "randomquest" procedures etc. My system uses the original game board and the original adventures (any adventure designed for HEROQUEST can be used).

For the introduction of my system you'll need the first 8 adventures.

The details (and the things to be printed) follow soon.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it Uwe!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.... this thread has really interested me - playing HQ solo with the original components... but I see last messages are 5 months old... any news about your game system Uwe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad warden
msg tools
ninjadorg wrote:
This is awesome. But entries are adressing single character. So you are supposed to have only one hero when playing solo, instead of a party? I guess combat balance require 4 heroes. So maybe you choose one main hero for these between dungeon activities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwarden wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
This is awesome. But entries are adressing single character. So you are supposed to have only one hero when playing solo, instead of a party? I guess combat balance require 4 heroes. So maybe you choose one main hero for these between dungeon activities?

The tables are for a single hero, but if you play with more than one hero you simply multiply the number of monsters by the number of heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad warden
msg tools
I realised that this ruleset is the most beautiful achievement in art of brevity I have seen. All rules are included in the tables, so there is no need for a single sentence of explanation, yet it expands the game to incredible scope. You are brilliant.

I would like to see travel events added to this, because I heard about them being used in WarhammerQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwarden wrote:
I realised that this ruleset is the most beautiful achievement in art of brevity I have seen. All rules are included in the tables, so there is no need for a single sentence of explanation, yet it expands the game to incredible scope. You are brilliant.

modest

chadwarden wrote:
I would like to see travel events added to this, because I heard about them being used in WarhammerQuest.

I imagine these rules will be getting a whole makeover in a couple of years when my son is old enough to start playing this with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tristan, great work! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks jack, think that update will have to come sooner with the kickstarter out this month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a graphics program that does layers, import the Quest map and add a layer, fill the layer with black. Erase a hole in the start position.
Erase as you move thru the dungeon.

The GM in Heroquest does hardly anything other than reveal the dungeon and move the revealed monsters. You can move the monsters yourself.

RandomQuest is great, you can play Allied Heroquest without Advanced Heroquest if you print out those tiles and make up a few tokens.
Or, you can adapt RandomQuest to Allied Heroquest without printing the tiles and corridors.

Also: Choose your Adventure Heroquest:
http://www.hq-cooperation.de/quests/other/1_Entrapped_eng_V3...

And "Solo HeroQuest by Carl Forhan", a simpler random method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David PIERRE
France
flag msg tools
tuner 13 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for the "randomquest" link.
This will come handy for all you guys not having the CR-WoA-LoD material (e.g. Monster cards, Treasure cards, etc.) as there are quite a lot of HEROQUEST based cards that can be downloaded from there.

Regarding the Dungeon generation process, my system does not require the "randomquest" procedures etc. My system uses the original game board and the original adventures (any adventure designed for HEROQUEST can be used).

For the introduction of my system you'll need the first 8 adventures.

The details (and the things to be printed) follow soon.

Cheers
U.L.H.

So ... this is where the words in the air. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip George
Germany
flag msg tools
Nice, but why dont you play Advanced Heroquest instead? Its much more deep and uses Heroquest furniture too. Best Dungeoncrawl ever made imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.