Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading and re-reading the rules, I thought that the two lovers (and therefore Cupid) had a pretty weak role to play, as the only dimension they added to the game is the one about not voting for each other on the day vote or die a double-death (when one is designated a werewolf). Would you say that Cupid and the two lovers would need to be kept in the game? If so, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you that they do not need to be present in the game.

One of the nice things about Werewolf (in all its incarnations - there are many!) is its flexibility. Don't like a role? Don't include it! Don't like the way a role's rules are written? Change them! Werewolf is known for its tweakability, and there are many variants for many roles.

With regards to the Lovers and Cupid, I normally do not include them, but that is personal taste. I much prefer the Mason role (a character from Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition) to that of the Lovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred version of the game is the original / basic setup - villagers, werewolves and the fortune teller.

I often have newcomers and non-gamers in my werewolf games and I am convinced that it's possible to overload them by having too many different roles.

I know some gamers are convinced that it's not a good werewolf game unless everyone has some special role with its own special rules. The concern is that players will feel sad if they don't have a special role card. But there are lots of great games out there based on the "who is the traitor?" mechanic where there are only two kinds of roles - goodies and baddies.

Eg The Resistance

Maybe our games are more personal. Because we don't have lots of different roles to keep in mind, there's a lot about different people's abilities to whip up a lynch mob, or play the innocent victim etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
They can lead to a very interesting game sometimes, especially when the Cupid picks a Wolf as one of the Lovers. This happened in a game at BGG.Con a few years back. I can't relate the story half as good as my good friend Jared. I'll ask him to swing by and tell the tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here it is.

Its BGG.Con #2, and its a giant game of about 30 people probably.

I've been slaying wolfs for days. Cupid is in the game. This cupid decide's it would be a great idea for me to be a lover....so he picks me and another guy.

As time goes on in this game, I nail a wolf. The seer is already dead, so the wolves don't think I'm the seer, but they do want to kill me.

The problem they have is....my lover is a wolf, and the rules require unanimous votes by the wolves to NK somebody.

So this game goes on, I'm still alive, then I nab another wolf. Its at this point we have about a 5 minute night session where there's obviously some angst going on. Its at this point I come to the conclusion my lover is a wolf.

At this point, I start to play completely differently. I start to follow his lead on suspicion and throw suspicion away from the remaining wolves. At that point, there were 3 of them left (yeah, there were 6 in this game).

We end up lynching one more of the wolves and we go into a night phase where they NK a guy, and we wake up with 5 alive...

Wolf
Wolf / Lover
Villager / Lover
Villager
Cupid (yeah he lived...more on that in a bit)

So we debate and debate. Wolf/Lover realizes he can win two ways. Wolf #2 realizes he can win if Wolf/Lover and I win. I had figured this out several days prior and kept my mouth shut about it since the Lovers having not been outed up to that point and Cupid still alive to validate them had been a serious leverage point for the village through 7-9 people alive and no more ways to find a wolf.

But...its at this point the Cupid decides to out the lovers. Now this certainly made things lively. I think we discussed heatedly for 10-15 minutes. All this time, the majority of the people hang around, because this game is so crazy.

We end up lynching the villager, who is SCREAMING that my Wolf/Lover is a wolf (obviously at this point BTW). At this point, as the Villager's role is revealed, me and the Wolf/Lover look over at the cupid simultaneously (and ironically, he's sitting between us) and give him a glare.

The only thing he could muster was "Oh Shit".

Game ends with his NK, with Wolves and Lovers achieving victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jared. That's an epic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jaredh - What can I say but WOW! I guess there will always be the one situation where it's either 'win or lose' and in this case, the fate of both lovers was still twinned (as it should be), so this conclusion to the game was pretty much legit from my point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, the fact that both lovers' fate is linked adds a more dramatic tension (the BGG.Con's example given by Jared being a prime example of a very dramatic ending), but I would use them and Cupid only if the majority of gamers have played simpler versions of the game before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.