Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I have finished my game and have already sent out for some prototypes to send to reviewers, but I am looking for a decently priced manufacturer that will produce smaller runs of about 50-100 at a time. I used The Game Crafter for my prototypes as they have good quality, but they do not give very good bulk discounts. Infact the difference between ordering 1 game and 50 games is only .36 cents. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Now, I found Superior POD and they seem to make nice products and have a bunch of videos on youtube showing off their stuff and I was wondering if anyone has used them before and if they liked/disliked them? The difference between ordering 1 and 50 of the same game listed above is $3.00! Much much better then TGC and allows me to sell my game at a better price and still make money.

Any info would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Superior POD is by far the best POD place for gamers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul,

Have you used them? Their prices seem very good when stacked up against others. Sometimes that means they are cutting corners or something. Infact, there price per 100 is about the same as some of the quotes I got from overseas companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've used them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used them, but I've heard nothing but good things about them on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Used them for our prototypes. Very happy. There's a bunch of print on demand threads in this forum if you want more options and opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Superior POD is by far the best POD place for gamers out there.

So it's not just a clever name then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to use them before and had a somewhat bad experience, so I guess I'm in the minority. They were helpful in the beginning, but service seemed kind of questionable by the end. To be fair, maybe my lack of experience and knowledge ended up dooming the endeavor.

For my part, I was totally clueless about what needed to happen with photo-quality files, printing techniques, and so on. So maybe if I had my sh*te together it would have worked out better and they would have been more eager to work with me.

The first set of cards never arrived and they had to re-print and resend. Which they did.

So I got one test print run of cards done and they were mis-matched, because I had misunderstood his instructions about how to align the front and back images. It's a tough thing to explain over email and it was my mistake. Probably it would have been better if someone along the way with experience had checked over the files to make sure they would print correctly, which I would have hoped they could do but it's not their job I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are great once they queue your job. just do not be scared away by the initial lag. they can be a bit slow to get back to you. after that though, we were very happy with everything they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also tried to use them here. After spotty and rather unhelpful email responses, we went with someone else. They just didn't seem to care whether they got our business or not.

Don't know a thing about their production quality, but their service and responsiveness was pretty poor in my case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grondhammar wrote:
Also tried to use them here. After spotty and rather unhelpful email responses, we went with someone else. They just didn't seem to care whether they got our business or not.

Don't know a thing about their production quality, but their service and responsiveness was pretty poor in my case.

who did you go with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Matt as I had the same experience.

I was happy with the quality, but communication could be better. And it took a while to get stuff delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt and Robert,

I have seen both of your games I beleave on Kickstarter. How did Kickstarter work out for you guys as I am thinking of going that route myself. I am 1st going to try and get my game reviewed by a couple of places and then I plan on making a video. Kickstarter seems like a solid avenue for indie companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a set of 90 cards from them. I kept watching for my number to go into the Que.. I would recommend NOT doing that. I then Emailed for an ETA... again I would recommend NOT to try this. In my case I got an unprofessional reply, it was non-rhetorical with a "?" question mark at the end.

I loved the product I got. And will play by the rules next time. I would also encourage him to do the following.

1. Make 10 generic email responses that you can copy/paste. That speak primarily of happy rainbows.

2. Don't get bummed out and keep up the good work. I appreciate the great rates at Superior POD.

EDIT all my card were cut spot on... a few corners weren't perfectly round but overall it was awesome.

pretty much this is the Soup Nazi. I plan on using this guy again, sliding to steps to my left, and say: "Lobster Bisque". Then not complain about the bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:
Matt and Robert,

I have seen both of your games I beleave on Kickstarter. How did Kickstarter work out for you guys as I am thinking of going that route myself. I am 1st going to try and get my game reviewed by a couple of places and then I plan on making a video. Kickstarter seems like a solid avenue for indie companies.

Our situation was a bit different in that Matt and I were not publishing ourselves, but rather working with Gryphon Games, so we can't speak to the publishing logistics. As for kickstarter though, your first thoughts are good. Get protos made, get them out for review, and have lots of them lined up prior to your launch. The more reviews and videos you can get lined up the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben.

From what I can gather it seems that it is better to wait and have more to show then to just run into with a couple of pictures and a small write up. The Kickstarter campaigns that seem to get funded are the ones that are well thought out and have a lot of information up front. I want to be ready before I start mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, Kickstarter is great. But you need to promote your project before you go live. Sounds like you are doing it right.

Work on building buzz before you put it on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Christensen

Orem
Utah
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just received several sets of prototype cards from Superior POD. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I know I didn't have to wait long.

I did double check the orientation of the front to back images. I almost made the same mistake as another poster here. They look great. The border ended up a little wider on one side than the other, but not by much. Otherwise, it was a terrific experience.

I used to print my prototype card using my printer and pre-perforated sheets and spray. I don't think I will ever do that again. Ordering from Superior POD gives me a much better card, and much less work on my part.

Myles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.