Subject: First Play Through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So having got the game yesterday and spending the afternoon reading the rules and learning a little about deck structure, this morning me and the girlfriend had our first play through

it was:

Me - Syndicate/Miskatonic

VS

Her - Cthulhu/Hastur

Outcome: i got royally whooped! she was just killing my mobsters all over the place but i really really enjoyed the play through and now just want to learn more about playing as the syndicate so i can surprise her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing two human factions from the Core set can be a little rough as they tend to be vulnerable to Terror effects. Agency has some Willpower, but might want to try mixing a human faction with a mythos one for your next game.

Syndicate (and Miskatonic as well) are both good at rushing with cheap characters. The low cost gets them out quickly, and by having extra characters you can afford to have a few go insane. Plus, Miskatonic has some cards to get rid of insanity anyway or even capitalize on it like Mad Genius.

However, with just the Core set it's not really practical to say "redesign your deck to include more cheap guys". You don't really have much control over it and one asylum pack's worth of spare cards isn't enough to make a big difference.

Definitely pay attention to your Events, tricks are probably going to get you further than taking on eldritch monsters that likely outgun you. Syndicate has a lot of exhaustion - make use of cards like Extortionist, Hard Case, Low Blow. Get on Your Feet is another good surprise. Miskatonic can help too with Celano Fragments. Filter your opponent's deck with Strange Librarian to keep them from getting their best cards. Use Binding to deal with their nasty monsters (hopefully killing them) and Dr. Carson's Treatment to take away insanity and improve your combat.

Essentially, you want to break their assumptions about what's going to happen and exploit this in ways that let you succeed at stories or get rid of their characters.

For instance, if they have a ready character waiting to defend, you can exhaust him and run unopposed. If you appear to have no defenders, re-ready them. Let them commit where you look outclassed and use Binding to turn the tables.

You're going to need to decide when it's best to go to a story and when it's best to wait and defend. If you do have a good trick in hand, it may sometimes be necessary to appear weak to get them to step into your trap - such as sending a guy to go insane who didn't have to just so you appear to have fewer defenders, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
cheers man

i think right now i should just keep trying out the different factions and find out what i like best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.