Risk (Revised Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player Elimination, Re-draft troops with received cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Palermo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This is a shot in the dark, but in the Onyx/Revised Edition the 'star-system' is used for getting bonus troop numbers, so the original elimination rules, requiring you to trade in cards for troops doesn't seem to apply...but then in the video game variation "Risk: Factions" while using the star system, players that eliminate other players can cash in those received stars to deploy more troops in the middle of their attack phase and then continue attacking.

What I'm trying to figure out/settle is this: if you eliminate a player in the Onyx/Revised edition and receive objectives and stars, can you trade your currently held stars and what you get from the other player in right there on the spot and keep moving forward (or at the very least reinforcing)?

At the moment we've not been doing that, but it would be game changing if we're supposed to play that way (I just got the answer to the ever-quarreled over 'Guaranteed Card muddled language')

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Risk Revised rules state that when you eliminate another player, then ....
"As a reward, you get all of that player's cards (if he/she has any). Add these to your hand."

So it does NOT say that you can use your cards ("stars") immediately, to gain additional troops ; it actually says to "add them to your hand." Thus, you must hold on to your cards, and can use them at the beginning of your next turn, if you desire.
(Basically, the way I interpret the rules, is that you can only "turn in cards for additional troops," during the "draft troops" phase of your turn.)
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very late to this... but basically I agree to what it has been said before.

In classic risk it requires you to turn in your cards immediately as you defeat your opponent ONLY if you have 5 or more cards in your hand at that point until you end up with 4 or less. The reason for this is because it has set a limit of territory cards you can have in your hand at the start of your turn (You are forced to turn in your cards every time you reach 5).

On opposite, in Risk Revised, with the stars system, you do not have a maximum number of cards in hand limit (you can keep accumulating them until you have tens of stars!). So it doesn't make sense to either force you nor allow you to turn your cards in at that point of the game. The logical way would be to keep them until the start of your next turn and then turn them all in for a BIG turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.